U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-10-2012, 11:55 AM

8 posts, read 12,555 times
Default are there a lot of bugs in NC??

in this area specifically? I heard NC has tons of bugs of all sorts and spiders including black widows and brown recluses.

i'm asking this because ive always seen myself living in NC (im from CA). my childhood friend moved to Chapel Hill and when i visited her i totally saw myself living there. the greenery and big cheap houses are awesome she has a nice ass house for under 200k.you know what that will get me in San Francisco?? a cardboard box in the park. i dont remember seeing bugs, but that was over 12 years ago and i was 8. i wasn't as afraid back then.

nowi have a severe irrational fear of bugs and spiders. no joke. even the smallest spider that doesn't do anything makes me shudder. San Francisco doesn't really have bugs aside from ants, some spiders, and butterflies. i can live with those.
but when i even see pictures of big spiders and different bugs i feel like passing out. like my heart starts racing,i sweat a lot, and i start feeling like they are crawling all over me.

oh, i also heard NC has tons of roaches. is that true??? i have never seen a roach and i hope to keep it that way.

if i were to move to NC i'd probably get sick from the amount of chemicals i spray around the house to keep them away. They can live outside, i dont care. i know they are necessary. but in my house, no flippin way. i kill them all. and if i loose track of one, i can't sleep

but i hope to make NC my home someday soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-10-2012, 12:05 PM

64 posts, read 83,518 times
You mentioned the greenery. With all of our greenery comes bug life. Our quarterly pest control service is very helpful in maintaining the amount of bugs I see in my house, especially since I live on a lot with a lot of trees. I wouldn't let the possibility of insects scare you.

Unread 07-10-2012, 12:21 PM

7,612 posts, read 10,056,983 times
I find that the snakes tend to do a decent job keeping the insect population under control.

Unread 07-10-2012, 12:26 PM

4,506 posts, read 3,784,363 times
And if the snakes get to be too much you can get a pet mongoose

Unread 07-10-2012, 12:28 PM

4,776 posts, read 9,159,727 times
I do a lot of single-track mountain biking and trail running. I hate this time of the year because I go through at least 2 or 3 spider webs each time I go out. The other day I was riding my bike and went through a big web. After spitting and wiping my face a bit, I went back to riding. Soon, however, I saw this spider dangling down in front of my face from the front of my helmet. I almost crashed trying to get him off of me.

Unread 07-10-2012, 12:29 PM

8,116 posts, read 13,982,608 times
I moved here from New Orleans in 1989 and previously lived in Los Angeles.

We had roaches in Los Angeles too, but no flying (Formosan) termites and Palmetto bugs (mega flying roaches) as in New Orleans.

Bugs can be controlled here better than in Louisiana but the humidity keeps them cranking. Lots of spiders. I killed a black widow off my front door just last week.

Good luck. Y'all come down, heah!

Unread 07-10-2012, 12:29 PM
Status: "My child is an honor student. My governor is a moron." (set 1 day ago)

18,943 posts, read 12,020,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I find that the snakes tend to do a decent job keeping the insect population under control.
good one!

to OP the answer is YES zillions of bugs. Even more roaches.....

Maybe to an 8 year old the house you saw was big but believe me you will not find anything remotely BIG in Chapel Hill for 200K. Maybe between 600K to 1 Million.

come to think of it is there even a house of any size in Chapel Hill for 200K? I doubt it.

Unread 07-10-2012, 12:30 PM

10,485 posts, read 5,896,763 times
There are bugs aplenty here. If you have an irrational fear of them, you might want to consider therapy.

Unread 07-10-2012, 12:34 PM

2,150 posts, read 2,353,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
There are bugs aplenty here. If you have an irrational fear of them, you might want to consider therapy.
Or maybe a move to Alaska.

Unread 07-10-2012, 12:40 PM

8 posts, read 12,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
good one!

to OP the answer is YES zillions of bugs. Even more roaches.....

Maybe to an 8 year old the house you saw was big but believe me you will not find anything remotely BIG in Chapel Hill for 200K. Maybe between 600K to 1 Million.

come to think of it is there even a house of any size in Chapel Hill for 200K? I doubt it.

well, maybe not under. but btwn 200k and 300k.

this one is $224,900

15 Abbey Rd, Chapel Hill

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-10-2012 at 01:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary