U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 10:48 AM

4,551 posts, read 4,872,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Several times since TMSA opened in 2008, parents and former employees have speculated that TMSA is linked to Fethullah Gülen, a controversial Islamic preacher whom religious scholars regard as promoting a moderate form of Islam.
I really hope that people aren't making this speculation purely because of their Turkish staff members. I like to think that folks in the Triangle are more open minded than that. Is the concern among people that they have international teachers on staff? I could see that as a real asset for giving children a global perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 11:20 AM

7,455 posts, read 14,620,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
I really hope that people aren't making this speculation purely because of their Turkish staff members. I like to think that folks in the Triangle are more open minded than that. Is the concern among people that they have international teachers on staff? I could see that as a real asset for giving children a global perspective.
google and ye shall find answers to your questions....

Old 07-17-2012, 12:08 PM

4,551 posts, read 4,872,242 times
I did Google and all I found was speculation of ties to Islamic organizations with no concrete evidence. Considering the extensive background checks that universities do before hiring faculty, I'd be a bit surprised if a NCSU professor that is one of the founders of the school had these ties without the university knowing. I'm curious if the people accusing the school are doing so simply because of some of the founders being Turks which would be disconcerting if the case.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:31 PM

233 posts, read 295,094 times
Triangle Math and Science Academy (TMSA) is a K-12 charter school in Wake County under North Carolina Charter School Law. TMSA will open in Fall 2012 with 272 students in grades K-6 and will ultimately serve over 500 Wake county students. TMSA public charter school, like all other charter schools will be a tuition-free public school and will be privately governed by a non-profit corporation. TMSA will have an open enrollment with no discrimination, NO RELIGIOUS ASSOCIATION, and no tuition.

I have read the articles and heard the allegations. I have done my research, including a visit to the school and have spoken at length on many occasions to the Greensboro and Raleigh school administrators. They have indicated no ties to any radical religious movements. I was told that the teachers who will be hired are mostly from NC and a few from other states in the U.S. This is no different from the county hiring of public school teachers. I also support the hiring of foreign-born teachers IF they are qualified.

My google search also found speculation of ties to an Islamic organization with no concrete evidence. 60 Minutes did a segment on this organization which uncovered beliefs founded by a Turkish scholar who promotes strong math and science education and inter-faith dialogue. I did not suspect radical cultural or religious undertones.

Last edited by TwinPrincesses; 07-17-2012 at 02:40 PM..

Old 07-17-2012, 07:20 PM

276 posts, read 461,918 times
We have a son who will be attending TMSA as a rising 4th grader. We gave it a lot of thought before enrolling him. We spoke to a couple of board members and the main person who is handling the school affairs at this moment. All of them answered the questions we had especially the ones about the internet rumours to our satisfaction. They seem to be genuinely interested in advancing the spirit of Science and Math in children.
From what I read the main concerns are that Gulen schools (TMSA officials specially stated they are not one)siphon money off for other causes if the TMSA sister school did this would they have been able to open up a spanking brand new school with great facilities in just 3 years after opening ?
The other concern is that they push Islam( TMSA emphatically said they do not/are not allowed to teach religion and the only time it comes up is in their Turkish class when they discuss the country and its culture ) - Also I did all my schooling K thru 12th grade in a convent run by Nuns and I did not convert to Catholocism. It just gave me a healthy respect for different religions.
As for teachers that is my biggest concern yet. When asked about it TMSA said in their sister school the number of foreign teachers are a small percentage of their staff(in singe digits). They also said that they are hiring only teachers that are certified in the US.
Also doesnt a State Board approve a charter ? Arent they aware of what is out on the web ? Why would they approve a school like TMSA and even allow them to open as a fast track school for this school year if they didnt believe that the school was kosher ?
The main reason we choose this school is because it is a great fit for our son on paper. I will post a feedback here in a year on how the experience was for us.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:35 PM

233 posts, read 295,094 times
Parents of TMSA students,
Check the school's website for recent updates. They have announced preferred uniform suppliers, school supply lists, summer reading list, and book report information.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:45 PM

419 posts, read 364,996 times
Sounds like we can benefit from others fears. Works for me. Those of you who currently have kids enrolled please give frequent updates.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:01 PM

160 posts, read 73,185 times
Thank you nclass! I'm excited to be apart of something so innovative for our children. There is a lot of misguided fears which nclass so eloquently discussed in their post. Islamophobia does no one any good. Looks great in theory, I will be back in a year to give my review as well. If any of you, parents have a facebook account, the school is on there too, and they give frequent updates as well. Good day to all.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:11 PM

14,337 posts, read 9,436,805 times
I wouldn't send my kids there based solely on the (lack of) quality of their web site.

But, I'm like that. No issue with Islam whatsoever.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:30 AM

9 posts, read 20,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
Sounds like we can benefit from others fears. Works for me. Those of you who currently have kids enrolled please give frequent updates.

Absolutely!

I would like to hear updates from others as well.
Hopefully they will be setting something up at the school soon. I was told that they would like to set up something for the parents to come out and see the school as soon as they have it set up (but before the "official" open house).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary