U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 08:15 AM

2,757 posts, read 2,034,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lettermark View Post
this conversation seems sorta vague.
what kind of jobs exactly, are hard to get?.
I think the conversation centers around jobs that offer a living wage.

I agree with nyxmike when he wrote that moving to an area without already having a job secured isnít a good idea. Even more surprising is how many people move to the Raleigh area without even doing sincere research in to job opportunities within their profession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 10:29 AM

605 posts, read 1,064,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
I can't believe people do that either. I suspect it's only a relatively low percentage of transplanted people simply because you need to show some form of income in order to obtain a mortgage (even before the sub-prime collapse). However with the mortgage industry being what its been I suppose anything was possible.
Hmmm..not exactly. Because we had such a substaintial down payment (actually, anything over 50%) they told us no income verification was required. Luckily I did get a job at the last minute...

Old 08-18-2008, 11:33 AM

5,527 posts, read 5,971,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanvas View Post
I don't recommend anyone moving to NC for employment. Stay where you are.
Please elaborate.....

Old 08-20-2008, 10:33 AM

259 posts, read 613,516 times
I'm a women in her early 60's. I've been told I look much younger than my age, which is a good thing only if I could at least get to the point where someone would call me for an interview. I cannot find a job I'm qualified for, nor can I find a job I'm under qualified for. I have sent out at least 100 resumes and cover letters and NOT one response! I recently made some changes to my cover letter, but to no avail. All of my life I've been able to find a job immediately. Employers told me I had a GREAT cover letter and when they met me I would ALWAYS get the job. Now I'm about to run out of my savings and may have to face living in the street, which I decided is NOT going to be an option for me. Section 8 can't even help me because you have to be working. I feel like I'm on my last leg, and really I am. It's so scary to have been able to support myself for so many years and now I'm very close to running out of options. And there really isn't any help in Raleigh for people my age unless you have a at least a low paying job. Only then can you consider section 8. What a horrible thought!

Old 08-21-2008, 10:14 AM

256 posts, read 429,336 times
Not for nothing, but I just flew down to Raleigh Yesterday for the Day. I had 4 interviews lined up with IT Recriuters. I could have had 6 but I didn't have the time. 2 of them could have placed me Immediatly, but the timimg is not right just yet.
I also would be making more than what I am making here on Long Island. Myself and the Family will be moving down at the end of October and I can't wait. IT is Burning HOT in the Durham, RTP area. I have absolute no Worries about finding anything while I'm done there. I have 10 years in LAN Admin support. I can beleive all the Big Companies Down There

Glaxo-SmithKline
AT&T
Blue Cross/Blue Shield of NC
Verizon
Cisco
HP
RBC Bank
Just to name a few.

So for Someone to say don't come to NC because there are no Jobs. Is full of CR*P. You need to know how to market yourself.

If anyone is Looking for Administrative Jobs. I recomemend Calling Office Team
They are vey Respected in the Area. They find Postions for any Skill set
4140 ParkLake Ave
GlenLake One Suite 500
Raleigh, NC 27612 -3723
Phone: 919.787.6970
Fax: 919.782.9625
Email: raleigh@officeteam.com

If anyone needs help in Finding an IT Recuiter in the Area. That is reputable Let me know.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:32 PM

118 posts, read 317,057 times
[quote=workerbeeishere;1620000]
Two months ago I applied to a job in Garner with a pretty decent size company. They were looking to bring in two people. They had well over thirty people come in for an interview in the first week alone, from several different states. They had guys drive down from Maryland, etc. A few guys were from the military with degrees, others were executives, etc.

Over 30 people is nothing, I applied for countless jobs in Buffalo, NY and have a ton of experience and the only offer I got for a very poor paying job had over 1000 applicants. There's so much demand for jobs here but none of them.

My boyfriend got a very very high paying great job just out of college within a week of moving to Raleigh so I know there's hope!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary