Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 06:12 PM

331 posts, read 1,125,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big M View Post
Think too transplants, you are competing with younger, cheaper folk that are churned out from nearby UNC, DUKE, NCState and others.
They're competing with younger, cheaper and for the most part NC natives churned out by local universities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 08:04 PM

59 posts, read 151,314 times
I have to say that the idea of moving somewhere without a job was foreign to me until I started reading this message board. I still can't believe that people do this and have a hard time finding sympathy for them when they can't find a job.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:57 PM

3,667 posts, read 6,560,260 times
Default Strike 1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC man View Post
Ill just tell you I do possess that knowledge and leave it at that. Why not go back and argue with clamboy on the LI thread, This is the place Ive always lived and worked and my knowledge of NC is far greater then your wildest dreams. I hire Li and people from MA,NJ,CA and every where else. You came running from your home to NC and maybe have you found a job, thats great for you but please dont waste my time with you knowledge or lack of on NC and petty attempts to belittle any one with views other then your own. long Islander. And PS I know little to nothing of LI so if we bring up that topic you win. Also how can you call the people on here whom say they cant find a job big fibbers. Because you know a person who found a job means nothing as far as the whole state. As far as backing up the statments with a presidential seal so you approve, have done that been there and then you just fade away. Sorry Im done on my soap box and no neg rep for you but get a grip.
This isn't an IM thread and I called no one a liar (or as you termed it, "Fibber") nor did I request government data. I did however ask for credible evidence or facts to support your position that the job market in the Triangle is weak.

You can deflect all you want with personal jabs and you're still no closer to providing a legitimate rebuttal.

And I said I know four people who found jobs. I also know of no one at the moment who is looking for work. I brought my job with me because for what I do there's plenty of business in the Triangle. I'm also in the process of staffing up a team here and can tell you first hand that there aren't enough decent candidates available.

One last point I'd offer for your consideration. Simply because you were born here does not in anyway make you an expert on the job market. When you say "Ill just tell you I do possess that knowledge and leave it at that" it's just a different way of saying "because I said so". Give me numbers, send me a link to a properly vetted news story.... .something, anything that supports your assertion and I'll consider recanting.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:02 PM

3,667 posts, read 6,560,260 times
Default Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeny View Post
I have to say that the idea of moving somewhere without a job was foreign to me until I started reading this message board. I still can't believe that people do this and have a hard time finding sympathy for them when they can't find a job.
I can't believe people do that either. I suspect it's only a relatively low percentage of transplanted people simply because you need to show some form of income in order to obtain a mortgage (even before the sub-prime collapse). However with the mortgage industry being what its been I suppose anything was possible.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:42 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,924,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
This isn't an IM thread and I called no one a liar (or as you termed it, "Fibber") nor did I request government data. I did however ask for credible evidence or facts to support your position that the job market in the Triangle is weak.

You can deflect all you want with personal jabs and you're still no closer to providing a legitimate rebuttal.

And I said I know four people who found jobs. I also know of no one at the moment who is looking for work. I brought my job with me because for what I do there's plenty of business in the Triangle. I'm also in the process of staffing up a team here and can tell you first hand that there aren't enough decent candidates available.

One last point I'd offer for your consideration. Simply because you were born here does not in anyway make you an expert on the job market. When you say "Ill just tell you I do possess that knowledge and leave it at that" it's just a different way of saying "because I said so". Give me numbers, send me a link to a properly vetted news story.... .something, anything that supports your assertion and I'll consider recanting.
Depending on what kind of work you do there may be great candidates around...you could also be looking in the wrong areas. What kind of work do you do (without giving away too much info)?

Old 10-01-2007, 09:51 PM

I see a lot of threads where people are talking about the market or how there are no jobs around but there are, a) in specific types of niches and b) for those who present themselves properly to a potential employer aka THE RESUME. No offense but I am in staffing and consulting and I come across people who all think they are the greatest gift that a company could get, and they may be.....but the problem is, and just like looking at houses, cars and any other "investment" what makes you different than the other 30 people I am going to look at?

Your resume is the first glance, first impression, first line of offense when it comes to getting a job and when you use that same, tired MS Word template that every other person uses it starts to look the same over and over. Everyone knows what an executive admin or fork lift driver or sales or customer service rep does in their day to day activities....what was it that made YOU the one your last boss went to when he/she needed something done quickly, efficiently and correctly? There are jobs people, and when the unemployment rate is low, employers are much much TOUGHER than they are when it's higher. You have to be pickier because if you make a mistake there is not much left out there. Be different, use numbers for GM, GP and OP not words to talk about your sales and accomplishments, talk about teamwork, synergy, going the extra mile, moments of truth, relationships...whatever it takes to make yourself different.

If worse comes to worse use a recruiter to at least fix up your resume or introduce you to a potential employer as opposed to you sending in your resume with all of the other lemmings through Monster, career builder and those other websites. Yes I am biased being that I am in staffing and consulting and yes there are recruiters and companies that over sell job openings for a pipeline and promise you $20 per hour but can all of a sudden only get $15 but they also know a good resume, they also have contacts, they also have to eat and if you make yourself their next meal ticket then you can get the royal treatment. Be different, be special and most importantly be needed.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:01 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,262,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbywan View Post
Heck its hard to get a job at WHOLE FOODS!!! Yes they made you sit in front of a computer and do a 45 min ridiculus inventory then tell ya corporate will review and then they might MIGHT call you for an interview> My hair is not orange and I don't have a stud in my chin, that MIGHT be my problem!!!
Or maybe it's that felony conviction

Old 10-02-2007, 01:38 AM

847 posts, read 3,518,251 times
My impression is that there are lots of jobs in specific fields. IT is where ITs at in the Triangle. Business admin, I think, not so much.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welovedurham View Post
My impression is that there are lots of jobs in specific fields. IT is where ITs at in the Triangle. Business admin, I think, not so much.
????? Business Admin can lead to a group of job types......sales, management, marketing, product dev. (certain aspects), brand management, promotions. IT is just IT and while there are plenty of companies that harbor IT departments they are usually smaller departments than those that house persons with a Business degree. While an MBA is very general it still covers the main, general aspects of the above named jobs. Where you get your specific training is on the job....which is why I have always felt college is a scam (completely different topic). There is about 3 semesters worth of real world knowledge, maybe 4 depending on your major...the rest is religion classes, world history, Phys Ed, Pottery or whatever electives you choose to run with.....WHO CARES. Not once has the word Ottoman been uttered by me unless I am talking about a fluffy foot stool or this thread right here and as far as religion classes it's not as if Liberal Arts schools offer a bunch of them. Most of the time it is classes on the old and new testament and I can learn than by purchasing a bible if I wanted to.....but at 15-40k per school year, that is a lot of revenue to lose. 2 years of college, two years of in the market training in internships and then you hit the real world. That is how it should be.

Back to the topic at hand. There are jobs out there, don't just look on Monster and Careerbuilder. Do it the old fashioned way and go to RTP and go building to building with your resume and cover letter and honestly if you have it a "brag book" and have them deliver it to the recruiting manager and HR. It's different and it's a way for you to possibly put it directly in the hands of someone hiring. Is it easy to do that? No but again IT'S DIFFERENT.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:27 AM

282 posts, read 834,257 times
I don't think you have a solid basis to back up any of those "facts". First - you're presuming that everyone coming here is coming for a job, which is a fallacy to begin with. Think of the "half backs" and just in general all of those people just plain deciding to come here to retire; think of those who leave somewhere with 2 incomes and come here needing only one income.

Factoid #1: we're currently hovering around 3.5% unemployment, which is well under the "full employment" bar of 5% (where a lot of the without job has to do with mismatched skills more than a lack of job availability).

Factoid #2: Triangle is sustaining a large job growth rate, currently somewhere around 6% net job growth PER YEAR for the last 15 years. That EXCEEDS the population growth rate (right around 5%). And that doesn't take into account all of the "replacement jobs" due to people leaving/retiring (which is 2/3 or better of the job openings).

Factoid #3: Since January - 65K people have joined the workforce statewide, but there's a net gain of 75K new people employed. If you adjust that to the triangle - 11,688 have come into the triangle, and 12192 have found jobs. And these are NET job gains.

Most of the gains are in healthcare and IT, but just about all of the service industries are doing well.

Now - is it tough to get a job here? absolutely - people are being very picky. But don't go posting things that just don't match up to reality. There ARE jobs to be had, and some job areas will be tough to find, but any claims that the job market here isn't growing and noone is getting hired, that it's all smoke and mirrors is, well, just plain false.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary