Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 09:46 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,926,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCanWrite View Post
Hail Imgurian! I feel like I should respond with a meme, but can't decide between Scumbag Stacy, Bad Luck Brian, or Insanity Wolf. (ETA: None of which would be directed at you!)

Oddly, I had checked the rates before replying and turned up a different rate. While I thought what I found was not a promotional rate, perhaps it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 10:41 AM

86 posts, read 146,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCanWrite View Post
That is for a renewal. Cancel the paper, and after 30 days, sign up as a new subscriber. It'll be right around $100 for 7 days per week for a year.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:46 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,952,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosoxfan1 View Post
That is for a renewal. Cancel the paper, and after 30 days, sign up as a new subscriber. It'll be right around $100 for 7 days per week for a year.
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that they treat new subscribers much better than their long-time customers. Thanks for the tip - I'll check into it.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:41 AM

242 posts, read 795,741 times
I don't tip them anything. We've been getting the paper delivered seven days a week for the last 18 yrs. When the delivery person can remember to deliver our paper EVERY Sunday and to make an attempt to toss the paper onto the driveway instead of leaving it in the gutter, I might consider tipping.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:16 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,254,251 times
I only get the Sunday paper but it is always in the driveway and bagged well so even if it is storming...the paper is dry. The carrier left a holiday card with his address and I sent him 10 bucks. Seems reasonable. I also tip 10 percent on my yearly bill. Not crazy but maybe thats why my paper is always in the same spot and dry...maybe not...either way, the guy earns it IMO.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:07 AM

1,309 posts, read 2,937,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbeckster View Post
When I had good delivery I tipped $25 a year but my current delivery is awful with lots of times the paper never arriving so I no longer tip. If I get a new carrier with better service I will start tipping again.
I give what I get and with local paper (I wsa going to say N&O but that might sound too much like a complaint?) it's been poor service. Rarely get the paper on time (even with the digital subscription, I still like the look, smell and feel of ink rubbing off on my fingers). But, alas, I am quitting them since by the time I do get the paper I've aged significantly.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:31 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,768,575 times
I tipped my carrier $20. He provides the best delivery service I have ever had. Paper here by 5am every day, double bagged on wet day. Actually his service is probably the main reason I haven't stopped the paper all together. The N&O is way to biased for me. Probably subsidized by the DNC by that's another issue.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:47 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
Nothing. Tips are a reward for good service. We've had the same guy for 6-7 years now and I can count on one hand the number of times the paper has been here by the 7:30 announced deadline on the weekends. I call the office to complain and no change, so no tip.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:18 AM

494 posts, read 815,784 times
My service has gotten so bad that I plan to cancel it completely once the money in my account gets to zero. The paper is really late most days if I get a paper at all as the carrier skips my house way too often. The carrier did remember to put a Christmas card in the paper on Monday. I was tempted to send a note in the envelope about the poor service but decided to save the stamp. I had really good service at my old address so it is disappointing to live where there is an awful carrier.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:15 PM

770 posts, read 2,753,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
It's time once again for me to re-up my subscription to the N&O. I know the paper has declined lately, but I just can't let go yet (what can I say, I love the puzzles).

I've always had good luck with delivery - very few missed papers and it's always there on time [knock on wood]. So despite my issues with the content I want to make sure my delivery person is happy and they know I appreciate them.

I've tipped in the past, but I have no idea if it was adequate or what, so I ask y'all, what (if anything) do you tip your delivery person? Do you do it by percentage of your subscription fee? Just a flat rate you've come up with?

Also, if you do tip, how do you go about it? Do you do you add your tip when you re-up your subscription online (this is how I've done it in the past), add it into a check you send in, or use some other method? I know waitstaff in restaurants often prefer to be tipped in cash instead of on a credit card slip, but I can't think of how I might go about that in this scenario if it's the more appreciated method.

Thanks!
$20 tip at Xmas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary