Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 06:32 AM

49 posts, read 159,811 times

Advertisements

We moved at the end of June and ended up in housing for two months(Legends at Preston in Morrisville) while we looked for a house. Luckily we didn't have to worry about schools and such since our girls are in college back in MA. My husband worked in Boston and commuted from Framingham,(20 Minutes) most of the time on his motorcycle or he took the train from Wellesley(45-60 minutes). We ended up in Clayton, closer to 40 and 70 near the Wake County line, and even though his commute is 5 minutes longer than his driving commute back in MA it seems to be worth it. We were able to get more house and land than closer to work would have gotten us and we still have some money left over after the sale of our house and the purchase of a brand new one for cash. Looking forward to the warmer winters too. The only thing we miss so far is our girls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 11:42 AM

45 posts, read 168,674 times
My husband is a Fidelity person too. We are in Chapel Hill...got here just when the heatwave hit. So far we like it. The commute is MUCH better for him...except that they keep making him go to Boston for meetings....now THAT is a long commute. My two boys are in high school and seem to have adjusted well. We chose Chapel Hill for the schools...the situation in Wake was too unstable for my taste, particularly since my oldest has special needs (according to the forum he'd probably be having class in a bathroom now in Wake!). I like living in the country but having all the conveniences close by. Totally agree with the comment about all the parks nearby, amazed by the number of cyclists out biking near my house, am going to get really, really fat from eating so much wonderful bread from Weaver St market! Maybe I should take up cycling...
Judy

Old 10-02-2007, 11:52 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Head View Post
Where are they sticking you in corp housing? Weston Lakeside I hope. How is the progress on your house? I drive by everyday and see them building it.
No, they're sending us to Ashley Park at Brier Creek. It may suck, but I can take it for 3 months or so, and a co-worker of mine is 5 minutes away, so that's nice.

I was hoping you could provide some input on my house! You're seeing work done? My other 'spies' have been slacking! One did send me some photos of what looked like a foundation and some pipes, and a whole lot of very red dirt. That was a little over a week ago though. What's happening lately?

Old 10-02-2007, 12:18 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,385,415 times
Arsbadmojo,

We stayed at Ashley Park at Brier Creek for 3 weeks before moving to corporate housing in Chapel Hill. You have to go to Pei Wei which is literally across the street from the complex. You are also minutes away from many, many restaurants, Target, Walmart, BJ's and several other stores. And not far from the Crabtree Valley Mall. Ashley Park is a gated community and that got rather annoying as the passes don't work very well so it was often a pain getting the gate to open.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdatlas View Post
Arsbadmojo,

We stayed at Ashley Park at Brier Creek for 3 weeks before moving to corporate housing in Chapel Hill. You have to go to Pei Wei which is literally across the street from the complex. You are also minutes away from many, many restaurants, Target, Walmart, BJ's and several other stores. And not far from the Crabtree Valley Mall. Ashley Park is a gated community and that got rather annoying as the passes don't work very well so it was often a pain getting the gate to open.
Oh man, thank you very much for this feedback - this is exactly the sort of thing that makes this forum so great. Actually - in a very recent development (as in 15 minutes ago) I asked my corporate housing person if anything else was available. I found out that our unit in Ashley Park would be on the 2nd floor and we have a very short 2 year old that doesn't do stairs so well. Add a stroller to that mix and it wasn't sounding good - so I asked if she could look into the place Machine Head reccommended. It may go nowhere, but I figured I'd ask.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:37 PM

140 posts, read 621,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post
Oh man, thank you very much for this feedback - this is exactly the sort of thing that makes this forum so great. Actually - in a very recent development (as in 15 minutes ago) I asked my corporate housing person if anything else was available. I found out that our unit in Ashley Park would be on the 2nd floor and we have a very short 2 year old that doesn't do stairs so well. Add a stroller to that mix and it wasn't sounding good - so I asked if she could look into the place Machine Head reccommended. It may go nowhere, but I figured I'd ask.
Mojo. If you can get Weston Lakeside you will be happy. The building is new and even if you get the 2nd,3rd,4th floors they all have elevators.
24 hour Gym
Billiards room
Computer center
Movie Room with comfy chairs and 150inch screen
Video game room
Free Mt or road bikes for use on the miles of trails right behind you.
Minutes to Weston or Davis depending on where you'll be.

2 bedroom is about 1100sqf, 3 bed is 1375
Make sure you ask housing to include 2 TV's and a DVD player so you can allow the youngin to watch cartoons and you can watch your own shows.

Ashley park, you'll be 2.3 miles from Ravenstone so you can check on your house progress daily.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Head View Post
Mojo. If you can get Weston Lakeside you will be happy. The building is new and even if you get the 2nd,3rd,4th floors they all have elevators.
24 hour Gym
Billiards room
Computer center
Movie Room with comfy chairs and 150inch screen
Video game room
Free Mt or road bikes for use on the miles of trails right behind you.
Minutes to Weston or Davis depending on where you'll be.

2 bedroom is about 1100sqf, 3 bed is 1375
Make sure you ask housing to include 2 TV's and a DVD player so you can allow the youngin to watch cartoons and you can watch your own shows.

Ashley park, you'll be 2.3 miles from Ravenstone so you can check on your house progress daily.

It was worth asking - I did end up getting a ground floor unit, but it is in Ashley Park; oh well - Weston Lake sounds nice, but I think it'll work out OK at Ashley, like you said - it is close to Ravenstone so I can go to the site and tell the workers to hurry up.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:18 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistydew View Post
(according to the forum he'd probably be having class in a bathroom now in Wake!).
No he most likely wouldn't. That was ONE school, using one area as a stop gap until a permanent space was found.

Please bash Wake County schools all you want (how very Chapel Hill)...but keep your statements accurate. They do not push all special needs students in bathrooms.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:23 PM

34 posts, read 84,201 times
Amen Desdemona, I've had 4 kids in the Wake schools for 12 years now and never had a problem. Great schools(Apex). If folks truly don't buy in Wake County for that reason they are really selling themselves short.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:03 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,385,415 times
Arsbad,

Weston Lake does sound nice. But at least you got a ground level apartment at Ashley Park. We had a basement apartment. Not bad most of the time but a real nuisance when we were moving stuff in and bringing home groceries as there is no elevator.

There is a little playground at Ashley Park but I never saw any kids use it. There's a pool but I'm not sure how long it stays open. There is also a clubhouse with a gym, basketball court.

Along with Pei Wei, you can also walk to Lowe's Food, a sub shop, a barber shop and a few other places. Every other store and restaurant you could ever want is in the two shopping centers on either side of Glenwood Avenue. Very useful as I didn't do much cooking when we first moved in. Partly because I wanted to try the new restaurants and also because it took me a while to get together the ingredients I needed to start cooking again.

If you need any more information don't hesitate to ask.

Jackie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary