Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 09:22 PM

120 posts, read 296,339 times

Advertisements

Hello. My wife recently gave birth to our first son. He's about 3 weeks old and mommy is starting to get stir crazy. Maybe it's because baby wants to eat every 2 hours, but also with me going back to work - I can tell mommy is lonely & feels confinded. We've been in the area 2 years and in Cary/Apex for a year now. Our neighborhood is great but the kids are mostly older (or at least the kids we see around the pool).

So I was curious if anyone had any recommendations for social mother & baby group??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 09:32 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,581,431 times
Hey New Carolina Guy,

I am a dood so I can't pretend to know what your lady is going through, but I am a dad as well.

Triangle Mommies is a site for that sorta stuff. I will also say that it gets better, the first few months sucks, and if she is feeding on her own, and she is gonna crack, grab some formula and give her a few extra hours of sleep. It's NO fun for sure, but soon enough the kid will sleep for 4 hours , then 6, 8, 10 and 12 eventually.

Last edited by zinner; 07-20-2012 at 09:47 PM..

Old 07-20-2012, 11:27 PM

826 posts, read 1,931,989 times
Stroller Strides is a fitness/social group. Classes are offered around the Triangle M-F and is full of moms with babies and toddlers (many are starting on their second round). It's great to get some exercise and meet people and there is often a playgroup right after the workout. First class is free to try out, occasionally there are Groupon/Living Social deals to try. There are also often free weeks to get people to try it out and various membership levels from single class pass to full membership. These are probably closest to you in Cary/Apex but there are classes in Raleigh too.

http://classes.strollerstrides.net/r...ion/index.aspx

Other good places to meet moms: library storytime and check out baby stores for resources. SmartMomma in Raleigh has lots of baby/toddler oriented classes. Perhaps Green Pea Baby in Apex has some info?

I met my 2 mommy friends through SmartMomma and Stroller Strides and it has been a life-saver and a way to meet other friends through them!

Would also look and see if any nearby churches offer a Mother's/Parent's Morning Out so your wife can have a few hours to herself during the week and meet other moms with kids in the same age range.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:02 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,654,067 times
Yup, TriangleMommies.com -- A Mommies Network Community

You didn't say what the baby's source of food was every 2 hours - but if she is nursing La Leche is a great group La Leche League of North Carolina Local Groups: Wake County You can always change diapers, bath the baby, cook dinner instead of helping out with feeding the baby to give her a break. You sound like a very supportive husband! Congrats on your baby!

Old 07-21-2012, 12:12 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,026,401 times
You might get punched if you suggest a mommy work out group... just sayin! Have her check meetup.com!

Old 07-21-2012, 01:29 PM

53 posts, read 128,527 times
Yes, TriangleMommies. And she should join the West Wake user group within TM.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:30 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,254,136 times
Congrats on your newborn! You seem like a very supportive dad and husband. I can only speak for myself, of course, but at 3 weeks I had 0 interest in meeting other moms but really, really wanted to get some sleep or take a shower and also for someone to take care of cleaning and cooking.

Please keep in mind though that at 3 weeks the new mom's hormones might still be out of whack, so any suggestion might be perceived uhm... unexpectedly. So it might make sense to touch base delicately with her (maybe over a nice cary-out dinner) on what would make her feel better.

Best wishes and just hold on tight - it will get easier.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,991 times
Hi there! I'm also in the Cary/Apex area and will be giving birth to my son in less than a month. I have 2 other little ones at home so I completely understand what your wife is going through! I also joined a couple of area "mommy" groups but found them to be very cliquey. That was just my experience though! Feel free to have your wife PM me and maybe we can get together for some mommy chat .

Old 07-22-2012, 05:26 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mar919 View Post
I also joined a couple of area "mommy" groups but found them to be very cliquey. That was just my experience though!
Our's also. My wife started going to Triangle Mommies outings and felt the same. Perhaps she just wasn't outgoing enough.. . . .don't know. I only went to one event with her. . . . an Easter egg hunt in Fuquay. . . . and did not get the same impression, but then again, I'm a dood and the mind games were probably ineffective on me

When our second son was born, I stayed at home for 6 months along with our then 3.5 year old. It was rough. I felt like my entire day was feed kids and change diapers. After about 3 months, I was about ready to pull my hair out from boredom and no adult contact. I decided to enroll our 3.5 year old in a half-day preschool. While he was there, I would take the baby out in the stoller and walk . . walk. . . walk. This saved me from insanity. I worked up to walking 5 miles each morning, and even started loading the stoller basket with bricks to make it heavier. . . . and this was the dead of summer To those that have suggested avoiding mentioning exercising, they underestimate the value of endorphins to treat depression

Old 07-22-2012, 08:09 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
^^This. I strollered like a maniac with my eldest. I lost every last pound of baby weight by the time he was 3 months old. I've got 3 kids and have never done the Mommy group gig. I also don't own a minivan and none of my kids play soccer.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary