Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2006, 11:53 AM

944 posts, read 3,954,009 times

Advertisements

I've never been to the R/D/CH/C/etc. metro area but a lot of facts and figures make it sound similar to Austin, TX. Was wondering if any of you have lived in Austin or spent enough time here to make a comparison.

Examples of similarities:
- lots of high tech
- similar populations and growth rates
- lots of university students
- state government
- good local music scene
- people move there from all over the world
- fairly progressive, politically and culturally diverse

Are these accurate comparisons? One obvious difference is that it's much wetter in NC than in central TX (for better or worse.) And Austin is a central city with lots of suburbs, whereas your area consists of separate cities that kind of merged into a single metro area, so each city probably has its own unique character rather than orbiting around a single urban hub.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2006, 12:12 PM

229 posts, read 1,053,917 times
Are you looking to move to the Triangle?

I'm originally from Plano, Texas and have spent a lot of time in Austin, Texas. What a great place to live!! They have lots of music, great restraunts, etc. I would say that each of the towns in the Triangle have their own distinct character. I would also say that Chapel Hill is most like Austin, with the exception that it is much smaller. Chapel Hill is culturally diverse, has great restraunts, great public university(Ask Mack Brown at UT he used to live here) and even a small local music scene. My two cents.

Old 09-24-2006, 04:29 PM

944 posts, read 3,954,009 times
Thanks, Tracy. I'm not looking to move there, in fact I'm about to move back to my former home in Sonoma County, California! But I'm a nerd who just enjoys learning about places and have travelled all over the country. It's odd that I've never made it to your region.

Old 09-24-2006, 04:55 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
I actually had friends that moved from Raleigh to Austin, due to a job transfer. They actually said that Austin totally reminds them of Raleigh so they were happy with the move. Vicki

Old 09-25-2006, 09:46 AM

39 posts, read 85,582 times
hi ,
i have been to Austin and fell in love with it.. the houseswere great prices but the work pay was not great for my husband.. in construction. we are from Ireland so it would be more expensive for my parents to get to see me if i lived in Austin .. thats whey we are checking out NC... Cary alot of people seem to like i think its more for families in that area.. not sure have not gone there yet .. but i did love austin and if people say NC is like it then you cna't really go wrong...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary