Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 08:15 PM

161 posts, read 759,613 times

Advertisements

I'll be looking for a new doctor when we move at the end of they year to take over the rest of my pregnancy and delivery (due in March). I will certainly miss my doctor here in NJ, but given that the triangle is a mecca for medicine, I don't anticipate issues. However, recommendations based on positive expreiences are always the best to work from.

If anyone has a super quality OB/GYN and also had a good experience with a hospital when delivering, I'd love to hear from you.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 02:23 AM

847 posts, read 3,513,100 times
What do you consider good? Some women want to be supported in natural childbirth, and would consider good a place like Durham Regional or UNC Family Practice, where interventions are low. There is also the Birth Center on Airport Road in Chapel Hill for low-intervention births. Some women want a full range of medical support, in which case Duke is a great choice. You will find many Ob/Gyns who deliver at either Durham Regional or Duke. The Birth Center has its own midwives, and UNC Family Practice has its own Obs and midwives.

Yes, tons of choices here!

Old 10-02-2007, 08:48 AM

161 posts, read 759,613 times
I don't anticipate a desire for an alternative birthing process. I'm all about reducing the pain wherever possible and am likely to go the traditional route.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:04 AM

176 posts, read 643,335 times
Hey, Jerseygirl--

I moved to the area in May and had a hard time finding an OB/GYN because many of them weren't taking new patients. I did get in at Durham OB/GYN and really liked my doctor and the staff at the medical center. I'm not pregnant though, so can't give any insight on that side of things. When I was in the office for my appt, however, nearly ALL of the patients were pregnant except me. I actually felt a bit out of place not being pregnant! ;-)
Here's a link to their website. Hope it helps! Good luck!
http://www.durhamobgyn.com/home

Old 10-02-2007, 10:13 AM

405 posts, read 1,764,976 times
I second and third Durham OB/GYN. First of all, they deliver at Durham Regional and NOT Duke Hospital, which was a big plus for me, b/c I just didn't want to be in a teaching hospital when I gave birth. The other main OB/GYN practice in town delivers at Duke, so there really was only one option for me. Durham OB/GYN's main office is on N. Duke Street (easily accessible from 85), but they also have a satellite office on Fayetteville just north of I40. Dr. Fetko is AWESOME. HIGHLY recommended; though since it's a large practice and you never know who will be on call when the time comes, you'll want to get to know everyone. Actually, my least favorite practitioner there ended up being the one who delivered my son... and the things that I didn't like about her in the office ended up being huge assets during a very long and difficult birth, so I honestly can't say anything bad about any of they physicians there.

PM me if you want any other info.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:51 AM

19 posts, read 60,261 times
Thumbs up Raleigh Area OB?

Hi Jerseygirl-- I have 4 kids and I LOVE my OB/GYN docs in Raleigh. Not sure where your new home will be -- I have gotten to know all of the docs in my practice and they are all wonderful wonderful and LISTEN to you!!
Here is the website: Welcome to our practice!

PM me if you'd like additional info!!

Good luck to you!
Hope you are feeling good--it is a tough time to relocate when you are pregnant!!

Take care,
Tracy

Old 10-02-2007, 11:43 AM

847 posts, read 3,513,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirlonthemove View Post
I don't anticipate a desire for an alternative birthing process. I'm all about reducing the pain wherever possible and am likely to go the traditional route.
Cool. Check out Harris & Smith too then; they are recommended often. Duke has tours so you can see meet the Labor & Delivery nursing staff and see rooms, etc. Good luck!

Old 10-03-2007, 06:06 PM

865 posts, read 2,467,658 times
I really like Harris & Smith too, and they have offices in Durham and Chapel Hill. All the doctors rotate through both office locations. They deliver at Durham Regional (non-teaching hospital).

Old 10-26-2012, 05:05 PM

20 posts, read 58,858 times
Default Durham Regional

I keep noticing that people in this thread are under the impression that Durham Regional is not a teaching hospital. It actually is. It is a much nicer, quieter setting and you will not see the abundance of residents, fellows, etc, but they are present. So are nursing students, nurse anesthesia students, pharmacy students, etc. Just wanted to clarify. I work at DRH, and I do take students with me to L&D.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:22 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,782,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmistyt View Post
I keep noticing that people in this thread are under the impression that Durham Regional is not a teaching hospital. It actually is. It is a much nicer, quieter setting and you will not see the abundance of residents, fellows, etc, but they are present. So are nursing students, nurse anesthesia students, pharmacy students, etc. Just wanted to clarify. I work at DRH, and I do take students with me to L&D.
Well, that's the impression that people had five years ago, when this thread was last posted to .....

Perhaps perceptions have changed by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary