Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 05:39 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times

Advertisements

It'll be tougher to find a nice 3-bedroom apt for that cheap. The last time I rented a 3-br was admittedly in 2006, but it was 1000 dollars and rents have gone up, I'd imagine. The 2-br my husband was renting up until 2009 was nearly 900 Granted, we live in Cary.

And, most apt complexes here won't rent to you without a job.

That said, if you want Raleigh? You probably don't want Southeast Raleigh. The suburbs of Raleigh are all pretty safe.

Good luck to you!

Old 07-30-2012, 06:34 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svas View Post
@meh, in response to your questions. We have a car and we can afford $700-900 for a 3 bdrm. My husband is a really good barber and always builds clientele quickly so we should be good provided we find a good location fairly close to a populated area. Possibly a housing complex to start off, I've seen a few online that offer 3 bdrms.
Think $700-900 for a 2-bedroom and you're in the right price range for this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 09:34 AM

6 posts, read 8,103 times
Meh@ thank u

Old 07-30-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svas View Post
Meh@ thank u
You're quite welcome.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:38 AM

6 posts, read 8,103 times
Have a couple questions for the bloggers.How often do tornadoes occur in Raleigh, Durham, chapel hill area? I'm scared of natural disasters.... I wanted to move to chapel hill area but I want to be walking distance to a good elementary school.what area should I be looking into and what elementary school that starts from Pre k to 5 grade?

Old 08-01-2012, 08:46 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
I'd be very surprised if you can find a three-bedroom apartment for less than $900 anywhere in Chapel Hill.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:49 AM

47 posts, read 92,148 times
Okay, so just stepping in to say that not ALL of SE Raleigh is sketch. We live in Garner (or Clayton or Raleigh, depending on who you ask), and it's *fine*. We don't have the crime everyone assumes we have, and we live in a nice little neighborhood with lots of families and people playing in their yards and such.

There are some more affordable and nice apartment complexes in Garner and Clayton, and one is close to the Community Center (where they have stuff for kids, a bb court, playgrounds). There might be an elementary school close by? I don't have kids, so I can't attest. If the OP needs to be close to downtown, though, the commute is about 20 minutes by car, mostly interstate. I do it every day, and it's fine.

Anyway, just wanted to say that: all points SE of Raleigh *aren't* Mechanical Blvd! There are actually some quiet, family friendly places down this way.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:52 AM

Oh. I wasn't talking about Garner. Or Clayton.

They fell under "the suburbs should all be fine."

Old 08-01-2012, 10:58 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
Wouldn't Garner, by it's very definition of being a different municipality, not be considered SE Raleigh

Old 08-01-2012, 01:34 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
I think what people are trying to ask is this: if you know nothing about the area, what made you decide on the Raleigh area?
Yes. The point is, you seem "dead set" on moving to Wake county, but you have not said why you picked here out of all the places in the USA that are "not the Hood". There might in fact be somewhere better for what you're looking for--but you haven't given much detail. Do you have work lined up? If not, what industry would you be working in? There might be better places in your field thasn here, but we don't know withou that info.

Chapel Hill, which you mention, is not in Wake County, but Orange county (I presume you have a map handy when you're looking at places to move to?). It's considered one of the most expensive places in NC but also has the best school system.

You might look into data on individual cities on the City-Data page for North Carolina where you can click on a place and get a lot of info about it.

BTW, while we have had some tornadoes in the past year, this is not a "high danger" area for them. You can probably Google something about tornado danger in the US and get maps about their frequency.

EDIT: I just did, and got this map of tornado frequency. Hmm, I didn't realize central NC is in fact considered "High Risk". If you are worried, you might think about looking into other places than Raleigh/Chapel Hill after all....maybe Virginia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary