Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 01:37 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,163,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
My husband had an old Honda Accord hatchback that got 40mpg, consistently. And it only cost $6500 when he bought it used in 1996 (it was an '89). Drove it for 12 years until he wrecked it. This is why I'm hesitant to put money into new technology for better fuel efficiency. I like the idea, but it doesn't seem like these cars get any better gas mileage than some of the traditionally built cars they just cost a ton more. Now if you told me they get 60-80mpg that would be worth it, imho.
Mine gets up that high in town sometimes. I have a Prius C.

If you run PHEV, they get what averages out to around 175+ mpg.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:48 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,894,842 times
Quote:
Yes, but you have to do the math. I just did. :-) If you drive 12000 miles getting 15 mpg (that's what I get in my minivan) you spend about $2800/yr in gas. In the LEAF @99mpg, you would spend about $121/yr. in gas! That's a savings of about $2375/year!! In ten years you've almost paid for the entire cost of the car by what you've saved in gas. A Nissan or Honda will easily last 10 years or longer. With this level of technology, it's a good financial investment as well as environmental one.
According to a study conducted by the New York Times, most hybrids and electrics will take many years to pay back their higher upfront costs.

For the Nissan Leaf, they project savings of about $1100 a year (at $3.85 a gallon of gas) vs. a similar non electric model (Nissan Versa), yielding a payoff period of almost 9 years. An old clunker of a minivan that gets poor mileage is not a good basis for comparison of true cost savings from the electric/hybrid technologies.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/05/bu...must-wait.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 02:02 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,464,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
According to a study conducted by the New York Times, most hybrids and electrics will take many years to pay back their higher upfront costs.

For the Nissan Leaf, they project savings of about $1100 a year (at $3.85 a gallon of gas) vs. a similar non electric model (Nissan Versa), yielding a payoff period of almost 9 years. An old clunker of a minivan that gets poor mileage is not a good basis for comparison of true cost savings from the electric/hybrid technologies.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/05/bu...must-wait.html
New minivans are still only getting 17mpg (I'm talking city driving which is typical for me).

Old 07-30-2012, 02:05 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,599,834 times
Quote:
New minivans are still only getting 17mpg (I'm talking city driving which is typical for me).
If you need the space of a minivan, how would a Leaf work for you? I mean, you really need to compare it to other small economy cars.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:38 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,270,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
better mileage, more expensive cost... blech
Not sure I'm following — older 90s cars got better mileage and today's cars get worse mileage and cost more? Or are you saying diesel's get better mileage, but cost more? The small diesels are pretty competitively priced, plus there are a lot of used Mercs and VWs out there. The biodiesel costs more, but if I made my own it could cost less. I choose to pay more for the biodiesel because it makes me feel like I'm making some contribution in the right direction.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:28 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,163,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Not sure I'm following — older 90s cars got better mileage and today's cars get worse mileage and cost more? Or are you saying diesel's get better mileage, but cost more? The small diesels are pretty competitively priced, plus there are a lot of used Mercs and VWs out there. The biodiesel costs more, but if I made my own it could cost less. I choose to pay more for the biodiesel because it makes me feel like I'm making some contribution in the right direction.

Cars used to get better mileage (Honda CVCC, anyone?) because they pretty much had ZERO safety and emissions controls and were lighter weight.

I'm pretty sure a scooter gets better gas mileage than my Prius, but I don't plan to take it out on 40 at rush hour.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:07 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,805,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by static_g View Post
I'm considering getting a Nissan LEAF (plugin electric vehicle). I was wondering if anyone here has one, and if so, if are you experiencing any battery capacity issues in the climate here? I've read they might have issues in very hot climates (Texas, Arizona) and I wonder how they hold up here.

Any other feedback?

Background:
Nissan Responds to LEAF Battery Capacity Loss in Hot Weather | PluginCars.com

Thanks!

Mike Maze (WRAL) recently bought one. He's posted about it on his facebook page. Maybe you could drop him a note at the station or FB?

Old 07-30-2012, 08:16 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,539,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
What i meant is that diesel fuel costs more than 87 octane gasoline.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:46 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,270,376 times
But, I'm running BIO-diesel. My interest is in non-fossil fuels, not cost.

In Europe, American manufacturers like Ford make 60-70 mpg diesels, too. Europe's Ford Focus Econetic 67-MPG Diesel Better Than Hybrids? But apparently like NBC and the Olympic Opening Ceremonies they get to decide what we want in this country. I'd love a 67mpg car that ran off-grid on renewal, sustainable, waste vegetable oil biodiesel. As it is, I get about 38-40 mpg.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:26 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,237,801 times
I can't speak to the climate issue, but I thought I would share that I have seen a number of Nissan Leaf vehicles driving around Raleigh lately. I even spotted one getting charged up at the North Raleigh Whole Foods a few weeks back. The Raleigh Connoisseur website has a great map showing the location of Electric Vehicle charging stations throughout Raleigh.

Nissan Leaf Charging at North Raleigh Whole Foods
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary