U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 12:32 PM

54 posts, read 189,146 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if any teachers moved from out-of-state and could compare the teaching benefits (ie. health insurance, sick days, personal days, etc.) of the schools in WCPS to where they moved from; I live in CT and would love to hear from those particularly that were teachers once in the Northeast; but open to all perceptions.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:11 PM

709 posts, read 676,139 times
Lots of threads on the subject. Bottom line NO UNION, Benefits are awful compared to the bennies I had working in NJ!! Salary is really poor. 33K to start then 40 at year 7!

You will have to have two people working down here or you will be working two or three jobs. Oh you get to do bus duty or lunchroom duty or get this crossing guard duty! EVERYDAY!! Depends on the school. Hey you want to teach enjoy.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:26 PM

46 posts, read 129,794 times
You have to pay $50 to take a personal day!!! or you lie and say your sick to go to your house closing a funeral of a friend etc...they say it covers getting subs- some postions they don't get a sub for you or they have an assistant cover your class- it's crazy and they don't treat you like a professional - do not teach in a public school here!!

Old 10-02-2007, 07:57 PM

54 posts, read 189,146 times
Default teaching

WOW! That's enough to scare me off; what are the incremental raises each year? Do they work in steps? Do they level off after a certain number of steps or is there incentive based pay? I'm looking for some hope here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaTen View Post
You have to pay $50 to take a personal day!!! or you lie and say your sick to go to your house closing a funeral of a friend etc...they say it covers getting subs- some postions they don't get a sub for you or they have an assistant cover your class- it's crazy and they don't treat you like a professional - do not teach in a public school here!!

Old 10-03-2007, 09:20 AM

188 posts, read 1,030,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbywan View Post
Lots of threads on the subject. Bottom line NO UNION, Benefits are awful compared to the bennies I had working in NJ!! Salary is really poor. 33K to start then 40 at year 7!

You will have to have two people working down here or you will be working two or three jobs. Oh you get to do bus duty or lunchroom duty or get this crossing guard duty! EVERYDAY!! Depends on the school. Hey you want to teach enjoy.
Actually, the salary has been going up by 5% each year since I've moved here (been here 4 years now). Gov. Easley has done a great job with this.

I [b]am[b] earning 40K a year and this is my 6th year. The local supplement here is 12% which is on top of the (low) base salary. Although no union, NCAE does a decent job of negotiating our salaries. The health benefits aren't super, but at least we're covered. I buy my husband's insurance separately (he's a law student), so I'm just thankful that mine is paid for.

Even though the personal days stink, just call in sick if you need a day. You get 10/year, and you're a guy (right?). Most guys never even use a fraction of their sick days. Women are the ones who need to keep these in the bank if they want to use them for a maternity leave!

One great thing here is that you earn tenure after being here for 4 years. You also never have to get your masters, unless you want to, and will pay you accordingly. WCPSS also pays 5K extra a year if you get your National Board certification. There are plenty of ways to make money here.

And let's not forget how your money goes so much further here than up north.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:27 AM

188 posts, read 1,030,193 times
Here are the salaries from last year. Teacher Salary Schedules
They don't reflect the 5% RAISE we got this year. Like I said, I have 5 years of experience and this is my 6th year, and I'm making 40K. But this should give you and idea of the increments between years.

I know the others who've posted are trying to lure you away from WCPSS. I really do like it here, and everyone at my building does as well. More people will post a favorable response to your question later in the day once they get home from work. I work at a year-round elementary, and I'm on my BREAK right now!

Old 10-03-2007, 10:57 AM

709 posts, read 676,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liliping View Post
Here are the salaries from last year. Teacher Salary Schedules
They don't reflect the 5% RAISE we got this year. Like I said, I have 5 years of experience and this is my 6th year, and I'm making 40K. But this should give you and idea of the increments between years.

I know the others who've posted are trying to lure you away from WCPSS. I really do like it here, and everyone at my building does as well. More people will post a favorable response to your question later in the day once they get home from work. I work at a year-round elementary, and I'm on my BREAK right now!

Lili,

I must say you are wearing rose colored glasses on this one. The fact that you have to pay for the health coverage for your spouse and children is a big cost factor. 40K at 6 years experience is well a bit weak wouldn't you say? Did you look at the 28th step? Its still under 60K That is awful.

Then there are the duties like I said before. Sure the cost of owning a home is much less down here but have you seen the salary for the coaches?? The amount of time spent say coaching a track team for 3 months everyday after school for 3 hours is 2200!!! Awful pay.

Like I said before you both must work to earn a living down here. I will say the schools are good and there are many young teachers however the teachers that I know who came from the northeast are well a bit fed up with the non union shop and BS things that go along with the job down here.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:09 AM

2,135 posts, read 6,835,357 times
Are there opportunities for teachers to work at track out or summer camps for extra money? Or tutoring, etc?

Old 10-03-2007, 11:16 AM

2,934 posts, read 7,137,430 times
Quote:
Lili,

I must say you are wearing rose colored glasses on this one. The fact that you have to pay for the health coverage for your spouse and children is a big cost factor. 40K at 6 years experience is well a bit weak wouldn't you say? Did you look at the 28th step? Its still under 60K That is awful.

Then there are the duties like I said before. Sure the cost of owning a home is much less down here but have you seen the salary for the coaches?? The amount of time spent say coaching a track team for 3 months everyday after school for 3 hours is 2200!!! Awful pay.

Like I said before you both must work to earn a living down here. I will say the schools are good and there are many young teachers however the teachers that I know who came from the northeast are well a bit fed up with the non union shop and BS things that go along with the job down here.

The steps don't really mean too much. The step is an automatic raise every year, that is seperate from the normal 5% raise. Teachers working for 20+ years can make more than $60k. And yes the salaries still suck, but when you pay 1/3 the taxes that is why they suck. That is why taxes in NY and NJ are out of control...someone has to pay the Government employees paychecks!

Old 10-03-2007, 11:26 AM

9,558 posts, read 26,420,027 times
Quote:
I must say you are wearing rose colored glasses on this one.
As a person with several friends who work as teachers in Wake County I think you can always find differing opinions from people in the same field of work. I have witnessed several teachers working in Wake County post on this forum over the past year. Some seem to be very happy with their work situation and pay while others think it leaves something to be desired. That being said, I think it is egomaniacal to tell a teacher who says he/she is happy with their situation that they are looking through rose-colored glasses. None of the facts liliping has stated about teacher pay have been contradicted or proven to be inaccurate by another source. People are free to disagree with her opinion, but the facts stand on their own. Check them out, and come to your own conclusion.

I love how people are identified as seeing the world through "rose-colored glasses" simply because they are happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary