Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2012, 01:34 PM

81 posts, read 142,028 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone:
I'm trying to figure out what to do about television and internet. Time Warner seems awfully expensive for the TV/Internet/Phone bundle, so I'm trying to look at other options. From the reading I've done on CD, it looks like Direct TV is a good alternative to TWC for television. What do people with Direct TV do for cable? Anyone have a reliable internet company they would recommend?

Thanks, all.
Susan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 01:35 PM

81 posts, read 142,028 times
I should mention that we are a pretty heavy internet use household. Two tweens always running some type of wifi device, a desktop, and two laptops. My husband will be working from home occasionally (remoting in to his work computer), so we need to have something reliable and speedy enough.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:33 PM

242 posts, read 1,213,464 times
Sad to say but your best bet on Internet is going to be TWC. The other wired options is basically DSL through Centurylink and the like and the speeds are just not comparable. 4G wireless may be another option but its going to be expensive and somewhat unreliable around areas of Clayton based on my 4G cell coverage experience (particularly at home). We went with TWC Signature home service deal for a year, we got 50mbps internet service with a wireless router (although I disabled it and use my own router), 2 whole house DVR's with a decent array of channels and 1 VOIP phone line. When the year is up, we'll have to look for some other package or drop things a tad. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Andy64; 07-31-2012 at 08:52 PM..

Old 08-01-2012, 06:13 AM

289 posts, read 489,585 times
I sent you a PM. Good luck.. I wish there were more options!

Old 08-01-2012, 06:31 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,983,517 times
I live in Clayton and started off with Direct TV. It was okay, until a storm came along. For instance, there was a tornado warning and while we were all hiding in the downstairs closet listening to the news on the TV, the cable went out (not the power, just the cable).

The next day, we switched back to TWC. Never had any problems since!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary