Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2006, 09:01 PM

89 posts, read 444,125 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are a young professional couple (mid 20's) looking to relocate to the Cary area. We are particulary interested in the Amberly development for all of the amenities it offers. We would purchase a townhouse, not a single family home. Like everyone else, we are from Long Island, NY...so, traffic and busyness would not be issues to us. Would this be a good place for a young couple, or is it far too family oriented? We would really opinions from all types of people living in Amberly, especially young professionals. We have already planned a trip to visit the area in early October.

Also, we hear the job market is booming in RTP, which is the real reason we are looking to relocate...on top of the fact that housing is less than half than in NY. How difficult is it to get a job in RTP for professionals on the managerial level with 2+ years of experience? We are not IT pros or engineers. Currently, I am a Contract Administration Manager working for a private system integration firm in the NYC gov't construction industry, and my boyfriend is a New Account Manager/Software Trainer for a payroll company. We both make over $50k each now. Where will this take us in an area that is IT/engineering geared? According to what we have read, our salaries should stay just about where they are if we were to relocate to RTP. Does this hold true? Or, are there really only opportunities for IT professionals? I would really appreciate any and all feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2006, 11:13 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,860,907 times
I hear Raleigh is a great city for singles and for dating. You'd better keep your boyfriend on a tight leash if you move! LOL

Old 09-26-2006, 07:12 PM

Default Anything?

Anyone else??? I'm really looking to get some info on the job market for non-techies.....

Old 09-26-2006, 07:16 PM

33 posts, read 122,410 times
DH and I were in Cary & Raleigh over Labor Day weekend. We actually went to visit the Amberly development. that's KB Homes, right?

just curious, why did you pick that development?

Old 09-26-2006, 09:14 PM

60 posts, read 303,559 times
Job market here isn't really booming, but it's better than a lot of places in the US. I know my employer is hiring like crazy (in RTP), but on the other end of the park IBM is laying off hundreds. Totally depends on the company and industry.

Triangle is good for families and singles. Plenty to do in Raleigh for singles and young couples. Cary and most of the suburbs are definitely more family oriented but there are areas in Raleigh and Durham that will fill all of your bar-hopping party needs. Also there are tons of 20-somethings in this area due to the high number of quality universities in close proximity...the graduates end up hanging around after they finish their degrees (as my wife and I did).

Old 09-27-2006, 06:35 AM

Default Cary

Well, we didn't really know anything about the area. We found Amberly online when we were looking at real estate....we saw a lot of new construction, which led to KB homes...and then, we sort of just ended up at the Amberly website, which sparked our interest. We don't know anything about the area...again, we are planning a trip soon...we'll be there for 4 days and plan on looking at more areas than just Amberly. I don't think we actually want to live directly in Raleigh, although that is still an option. It is close enough that we can just hop over there if we like. I hear Durham has a lot of crime...is this true?

My boyfriend can get transferred from his job here to the Cary office down there...he's just afraid there may be a significant pay cut. Worst case, he can tranfer and then get a new job a few months later. What's more difficult is myself...I work at a small private company and I don't have an option to transfer, so getting a job would be difficult unless I am already down there...especually since my skills are non-tech related and very specific to NY. We would just like to get a game plan together before we get down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary