Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 08:39 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,561,460 times

Advertisements

I just realized that this week is bike week in MB (Stupid me). My wife and I scheduled a little weekend getaway a few months ago and had no Idea it was bike week this week. My question is, how crowded do the roads, attractions, restaurants, etc get during the week. We'll be driving down from Raleigh tomorrow morning and I'm wondering how crowded/crazy it will be when we get there in the early afternoon.

I'm 30 and she's 26, so it's not like we're not up for having fun and in a way I think it'll be cool, but we also want a little piece and quite and wonder if any of you all could give us any recommendations to stay away from all the craziness?

Thanks in advance!

PS - I posted this is the SC forum too, but don't know if I'll get too many responses there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 10:41 AM

169 posts, read 541,014 times
I thought this was in May? Went with the fam by mistake a few years back. Couldn't find a hotel had to drive up to wilmington. Not sure about Sept but it was very loud back in May.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:45 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,983,517 times
I was in your shoes a few years ago!

Honestly? Its crowded. Dont expect to cross any streets. What hotel or area will you be near? As long as you are not in the old Pavilion area (not sure what to call it..where the strip is) then you will be fine. I stayed at a hotel right on the strip and it got a bit loud at times, but that was when the pavilion was still there.

Just have a good time anyway, its usually not that crowded in Octobder to begin with.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:48 AM

709 posts, read 935,274 times
Go someplace else. seriously not much fun, unless your idea is enjoying loud straight pipes on motorcycles all around the town.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:04 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,772,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StMichael929 View Post
I thought this was in May? Went with the fam by mistake a few years back. Couldn't find a hotel had to drive up to wilmington. Not sure about Sept but it was very loud back in May.
Black Biker Week is over Memorial Day Weekend. It is in Atlantic Beach (iirc) between NMB and Myrtle. I've been down there during that time and it was pretty bad. Hwy 17 would get completely jammed up with bikers. The worst part was being stuck in traffic next to a bike with a 200lb+ girl in a thong on the back.

The road condition is better down there now, so with some planning, you might be able to avoid that area.

The upcoming Bike Week is probably the normal one, not the Black one. Never been around during that one, so don't know what to expect.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbywan View Post
Go someplace else. seriously not much fun, unless your idea is enjoying loud straight pipes on motorcycles all around the town.
I would do that if possible, but we already have everything booked and would stand to lose a lot of money. I heard that the Fall bike week is not too bad and only about ½ the crowd as Spring bike week. Thanks for you responses. I feel a little better about the fact we have an ocean view suite and probably won't have to listen to all the bikes from there. I was told in the SC forum that because it's October, even though it's bike week, the traffic should be no worse and even slightly better then busy summer weekends.

It looks like we can still have a nice relaxing weekend! I've needed one for a long time (I work full-time and go to school full-time).

Old 10-03-2007, 11:13 AM

"The worst part was being stuck in traffic next to a bike with a 200lb+ girl in a thong on the back."

LOL

Old 10-03-2007, 08:53 PM

850 posts, read 3,625,969 times
My family lives in MB and they don't leave the house on the Biker Weekends...both that I'm aware of are in May. I think with just a week or two between them so there's always bikes between.

Lauren

Old 10-03-2007, 09:55 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,962,783 times
Your first mistake was going to Myrtle Beach for relaxation in the first place. Next time try Wilmington, Hatteras, Ocrakoke...

Old 10-04-2007, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
Your first mistake was going to Myrtle Beach for relaxation in the first place. Next time try Wilmington, Hatteras, Ocrakoke...
I hear what you're saying there. I lived in Emerald Isle for almost 4 years so I know the difference. We don't want total relaxation, we want to do stuff too....we just don't want to be stuck in a bike traffic jam! From all the info I got, apparently the Fall bike week is nothing compared to the spring bike week(s), so it seems like it shouldn't be that bad at all. Thanks for everyone's replies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary