Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 04:25 AM

58 posts, read 64,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexRob View Post
Here are some early pics of mine 9 days after seeding a TF/KBG mix. The pictures of the beds are just thrown in for good measure since we did topsoil, mulch, and built the wall around those. We also pulled up the bushes that the builders had done, grouped them, and then put in Encore Azalea's between them, along with a Crabapple tree.

Back to the lawn, it's coming in nicely. The front I don't have many shots of, but any spot you see straw was basically zero grass. The back was 95% clay, almost zero grass. You can see the one freak spot in the back that had grass on it, because it's super thick now, the rest was all a clay wasteland. The chutes are thin and only about 1-2 inches at most right now, so it should really start to look good by the end of the weekend. I did the lawn all myself, and it's huge, so I'm pretty pleased with myself I'll post better pics of the front and back once it comes in more.

But whay are you still watering the lawn, have you seen the lakes around here? have you listened to anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 06:20 AM

850 posts, read 3,625,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marzen View Post
But whay are you still watering the lawn, have you seen the lakes around here? have you listened to anyone?
Johnston County residents are still permitted to water lawns 3 days a week - depending upon odd/even house number. Even is Wed, Fri, Sun. Odd is Tues, Thurs, Sat...with no watering allowed on Mondays.

Lauren

Old 10-12-2007, 07:15 AM
bta

284 posts, read 1,885,480 times
Quote:
Here are some early pics of mine 9 days after seeding a TF/KBG mix. The pictures of the beds are just thrown in for good measure since we did topsoil, mulch, and built the wall around those. We also pulled up the bushes that the builders had done, grouped them, and then put in Encore Azalea's between them, along with a Crabapple tree.

Back to the lawn, it's coming in nicely. The front I don't have many shots of, but any spot you see straw was basically zero grass. The back was 95% clay, almost zero grass. You can see the one freak spot in the back that had grass on it, because it's super thick now, the rest was all a clay wasteland. The chutes are thin and only about 1-2 inches at most right now, so it should really start to look good by the end of the weekend. I did the lawn all myself, and it's huge, so I'm pretty pleased with myself I'll post better pics of the front and back once it comes in more.
Looks like it's coming in great. Our grass really took off after the 11-12 day mark. Watching grass grow has never been so much fun.

We also did some repair work on our sod where the summer heat had ravaged a few spots. In those areas we hand tilled it up, put down some good top soil, mixed it in, put some seed down, and then put seed accelerator on top. The seed accelerator worked really well. Grass was shooting up in 5 days and some spots were completely filled in in 2 weeks. We like it better than straw because it contains 0 weeds and it absorbs water to help keep the area moist longer.

Grass Seed Accelerator - Greenview

Old 10-12-2007, 08:18 AM

560 posts, read 2,849,541 times
Quote:
Franklin County residents are not under any watering restrictions, although there is talk of some in the future if the situation fails to improve.

When I am told not to water anymore I will stop, until then I am going to use it. I am sure Franklin County is watching the lake levels and knows what they are doing, muck like Wake, Johnston, and others.

I've worked very hard to own my own home and take pride in the way it and the landscape around it looks.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmeca11 View Post
Franklin County residents are not under any watering restrictions, although there is talk of some in the future if the situation fails to improve.

When I am told not to water anymore I will stop, until then I am going to use it. I am sure Franklin County is watching the lake levels and knows what they are doing, muck like Wake, Johnston, and others.

I've worked very hard to own my own home and take pride in the way it and the landscape around it looks.

Yea yea I hear that all the time from GUYS who have a thing about their lawns. Look the politicians have no idea about the drought. Franklin County will be in as much trouble if it does not rain as wake Johnston Harnett lee and other counties. Look at the drought maps as of last week we are all in the stage 4 worst drought. That includes franklin county. Its october stop wasting water.

Green grass and water on your sidewalk after you waste water makes you look like , well not being part of the solution but more part of the problem.

Old 10-13-2007, 12:15 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,680,321 times
Quote:
Yea yea I hear that all the time from GUYS who have a thing about their lawns. Look the politicians have no idea about the drought. Franklin County will be in as much trouble if it does not rain as wake Johnston Harnett lee and other counties. Look at the drought maps as of last week we are all in the stage 4 worst drought. That includes franklin county. Its october stop wasting water.

Green grass and water on your sidewalk after you waste water makes you look like , well not being part of the solution but more part of the problem.
I wonder if I could get a religious exemption from the water restrictions, exercising freedom of religion when it comes to LGW (lawn god worship).

Old 10-13-2007, 06:13 AM

many_followers_no_tax_deductions [Nouveau Rural]

This is a must read!!!!

Thank You

All you grass men!

Old 10-13-2007, 10:16 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,781,501 times
Quote:
many_followers_no_tax_deductions [Nouveau Rural]

This is a must read!!!!

Thank You

All you grass men!
Marzen,

Though I understand where you are coming from as, I agree, we must all be mindful of the water shortage here in RDU. However, I find it bothersome at any time when any, even those with good intentions, begins threadcrapping off-topic matters apart from the OP's question. Remember, once the drought is gone, this thread remains as a resource to other people who will want advice on how to seed and aerate their lawns. Later on, I really don't want to read about off-topic matters.

On the other hand, I would say that, if you feel compelled to threadcrap on such a topic, then I highly encourage you to start a new topic on the matter. Make reference to this one if you like. And I'm sure the community response will be great. However, littering this thread with off-topic matters, good intention or not, doesn't help this thread in the long term.

Lastly, I think it's important to gather all the facts first before accusing someone of wasting water:
  1. Do you know if TexRob has a well? I have one. There are no restrictions I know of that restrict me from using my own well.
  2. Do you know if TexRob is using filtered gray water? Sure, this method of conservation is quite controversial, and might be illegal, but he may be employing these techniques (techniques I highly support if done properly)?
  3. Do you know if TexRob is using Rain Barrels to water his lawn? He might. Should he not use them?
  4. Do you know if TexRob has stopped taking showers, reduced is consumable water and washing to practically nill since he has, potentially, valued his lawn over his hygiene?
I would certainly obtain the facts, first, before waxing activism poetics and muddying up this thread on "Seeding and Aeration." Yes, I agree that lawn watering becomes a lower priority when we are threatened by drought. However, we all have different priorities and if one consumer is using less water watering their lawns than their neighbor who is letting the water run while they shave and brush their teeth, then who is the person you should be criticizing?

It really comes down to how much each person has a right to consume on a daily basis. If it were possible to restrict daily consumption, then if a person wants to use that consumption on their lawn as their body begins to convulse and shrivel up due to dehydration, so be it. It's their choice. And it's the choice of humans to hopefully make the best choices that we must embrace.

Start a new thread, Marzen. Create a dialogue. I will certainly participate and may actually support your assertions, from what I can read (with exception to your last post which seemed rather rude and discriminatory). But end the distraction here in this thread, please. Unless you want to add to the "Seeding and Aeration" dialogue, of course. Because this is what this thread is about and I am trying to learn as much as possible when the drought subsides.

Forgive me everyone, this response, in of itself was off-topic. I just had to respond in hopes of quelling this diversion, and keep the topic back on track.

Old 10-13-2007, 01:59 PM

169 posts, read 419,276 times
There are people who have opinions, strong ones, and given the facts are welcome to debate them. You are just a troll, so I am not going to explain myself to you. Instead I'll take the time to explain the HUGE benefits of a good lawn to the environment.

"Climate is controlled at ground level by turf grasses as they cool temperatures appreciably, thus working as exterior "air conditioners".

Eight healthy front lawns have the cooling effect of 70 tons of air conditioning – enough for 16 average homes.

Dust and smoke particles from the atmosphere are trapped by turf which helps make the air cleaner.

Fire retardation buffer areas of well maintained lawngrasses around buildings is good insurance.

Groundwater is enhanced in two ways by a dense turf. Turfgrasses increase infiltration of water and also clean the water as it passes so that underground water supplies are recharged for use by us all.

Health of humans is enhanced by turfgrasses as they function in cushioning, cleaning air, generating oxygen and creating a serene landscape.

Lawns are estimated to occupy an area of between 25,000,000 to 30,000,000 acres in the United States (the size of the 5 New England states) and as the population increases so too will the amount of turfgrass acreage.

Noise is absorbed by grass areas which cut down on the excessive sound, a growing problem in urban areas. Grassed slopes beside lowered expressways reduce noise by 8-10 decibels.

Oxygen generation by turfgrasses has a major impact in making our environment habitable. A 50x50 lawn produces enough oxygen for a family of four."

What do you have to say to that Marzen? Get off your high horse.

Old 10-13-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
There are people who have opinions, strong ones, and given the facts are welcome to debate them. You are just a troll, so I am not going to explain myself to you. Instead I'll take the time to explain the HUGE benefits of a good lawn to the environment.

"Climate is controlled at ground level by turf grasses as they cool temperatures appreciably, thus working as exterior "air conditioners".

Eight healthy front lawns have the cooling effect of 70 tons of air conditioning – enough for 16 average homes.

Dust and smoke particles from the atmosphere are trapped by turf which helps make the air cleaner.

Fire retardation buffer areas of well maintained lawngrasses around buildings is good insurance.

Groundwater is enhanced in two ways by a dense turf. Turfgrasses increase infiltration of water and also clean the water as it passes so that underground water supplies are recharged for use by us all.

Health of humans is enhanced by turfgrasses as they function in cushioning, cleaning air, generating oxygen and creating a serene landscape.

Lawns are estimated to occupy an area of between 25,000,000 to 30,000,000 acres in the United States (the size of the 5 New England states) and as the population increases so too will the amount of turfgrass acreage.

Noise is absorbed by grass areas which cut down on the excessive sound, a growing problem in urban areas. Grassed slopes beside lowered expressways reduce noise by 8-10 decibels.

Oxygen generation by turfgrasses has a major impact in making our environment habitable. A 50x50 lawn produces enough oxygen for a family of four."

What do you have to say to that Marzen? Get off your high horse.
No high horse. Bottom line when NOT IN A DROUGHT as extreme as we have right now water the you know what out of the lawn. BUT we just came from Jordan Lake down 10 feet. With all the growth we do have a problem with water RIGHT NOW. I would not be surprised if next week or by November a state of emergency is declared and NO OUTDOOR watering will be mandated for most of the state by the Govenor.

Yes everything you mentioned about a lawn is on the up and up however as long as you are not using high nitrogen fert and keeping pesticides to a minimum. You know Clover lawns were the way to go back in the 50s and 60s!! You a salesman for scotts or Ortho by any chance? Heck of a talking point for the turfgrass industry.

Anyway I am not here to bust chops, but you know the type of guy who gets crazy about his grass, the guy who yells at kids who run across the yard for a ball!!

I hope you are not that guy.

Now hope for rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary