U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 11:42 AM

310 posts, read 1,173,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve54 View Post
I think that it is expensive but screened porches seem so expensive here for what they spend on materials . A friend of mine had his deck redone and an additional lower deck plus 20 x 15 porch - $23k. I cant imagine there is more than 2k of materials plus it was built in 10 days by 2 sub contracted hispanics - I guess there is the answer!
Maybe I should go to a construction site, and get the contacts of some of the workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 12:19 PM

43 posts, read 149,101 times
I think its a matter of supply & demand.

There's plenty of work available, so contractors can ask top dollar. If you pass on the estimate, there's someone else needing a contractor who will pay.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:29 PM

23,640 posts, read 19,130,724 times
If you have a friend in education have them ask around. Most school system tradesmen do work on the side as do licensed construction teachers. They are much cheaper as per my previous post they don't have the same overhead. They will be booked for a long time in the future but you can get on their waiting list. I had a guy come and trim trees for me. At least five of my neighbors asked me how much and after me telling them they went right to the workers and contracted them. Don't know how much more work they got once they went to another house in the neighborhood.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:57 AM

48 posts, read 105,629 times
My husband is a general contrator from MA we are moving there to Clayton, in 2 weeks. He can give you a much better price I am sure!
We are looking for some work for him He really does great work! He does remodeling, baths, kitchens, gutters, decks, etc.
Feel free to PM us.
Michelle

Old 12-10-2008, 08:25 AM

1 posts, read 10,805 times
My family wants a porch which is about 10 square foot in a rectangular shape. Me, my dad and my grandad could do the work but how much will it cost?

Old 12-10-2008, 10:33 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,671,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C8av98a653n View Post
My family wants a porch which is about 10 square foot in a rectangular shape. Me, my dad and my grandad could do the work but how much will it cost?
Go to Home Depot and price out the materials. Don't forget to pull the proper permits. Easy way would be to have a couple people give you some quotes, and it will probably spell out materials and labor charges.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:36 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,280,653 times
I was curious about this too. Currently we have a ... 3X5 concrete slab that is "supposedly" a patio...we'd like to expand it to a screened in room with a patio off to the side but have no idea what it might cost. If anyone knows a good contractor, send me their way!

Old 08-25-2009, 08:26 PM

35 posts, read 96,775 times
Default Cost of Concrete slab for porch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
My neighbors tore their deck down last year, had a cement slab put in and built the porch themselves. The slab alone was $11k (which seemed outrageous to me). I'd guess it's about 300 square feet.
I know this is old posting but I am contracting my own 380 sq porch. Footing of 10 yards concrete (extra for fireplace in screen porch) is $1800. I expect to have foundation laid with block and brick veneer and concrete floor on steel decking for $6000.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:08 PM

54 posts, read 104,696 times
The biggest cost of a lean-to or a hip roof extension to the deck is labor. Labor is increased if the house is already built... I.E. they have to tear off siding to do things right, attach it to the house, etc. Materials are not that expensive at all. For example, I'm building a 500 sq/ft deck and materials are less than 3000 for standard decking material... Labor if I had someone do it would probably be an additional 6000 or more. That being said, 12500 sounds kinda high especially if they are already including the deck and it is new construction. After construction is complete expect the quotes to go up.... I would ask him to do just the roof for 6000 and frame in and screen it yourself... (probably 400-500 worth of materials)

Old 08-26-2009, 08:41 AM

456 posts, read 1,447,787 times
Yeah, I would say $12,500 (not including deck) is about 5K too high. We spent $7,000 to get a 10x14 screened porch built, that included a brand new deck for it, framing, roof, screening, and even included cutting a door opening out of one of the windows. This was last year. For your size porch, i would say $10,000 for the entire thing (including deck) would be about right).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary