Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2012, 05:22 AM

15 posts, read 28,210 times

Advertisements

I have ben looking on CL for jobs to get an idea of what I can expect in the job market , as an auto mechanic/service writer . I have been a mechanic for 15 years .

I have noticed that it seems that an experienced mechanic is in demand as most job listings ask for that . Also seems to be a lot of jobs avalable .

Are my assumptions current ? Is there a demand for mechanics ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 05:39 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
I have heard a good mechanic should have little trouble finding employment. That being said, I have also heard the pay rate is quite lower than other parts of the country. Which is probably not an issue if you are already living in the area.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:32 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
There are a lot of huge dealerships in the area with service operations and plenty of mom and pop mechanic shops specializing in certain makes. I go to place that deals mainly with imports. In general when I get work done I see that I am charged between $85 - $90 an hour for the mechanic. I don't know what they actually get paid, but that $85-$90 rate seems in line with what I use to pay in NJ.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:45 PM

49 posts, read 188,546 times
Most of the shops/dealerships in the area are flat-rate, so finding a job as a mechanic/technician shouldn't be difficult. Keep in mind most shops are looking for folks that can "upsell" services or repairs versus experience- good luck!

Old 08-09-2012, 05:13 AM

Thanks for the responses . Anyone know an average hourly rate . Most dont post that on Cl . I have seen some realy good jobs . Or at least sounds good . I am not currently down there yet but the jobs make me want to get down there fast .

I get a salary now but would be open to flat rate in a busy shop as I am a go getter , upsells aren't a problem .

Old 08-09-2012, 05:18 AM

There seems to be a lot if shops doing prefotmance work too . How close is the drag strip from raleigh

Old 08-09-2012, 03:33 PM

49 posts, read 188,546 times
If you're a master ASE Tech with some dealer/manufacturer training you should be starting around $25+ per flat rate hour.
Some ASE training and some experience, you should easily get $20 per flat rate hour.
Tires and oil change techs usually top out at $15.
So, if you don't have any- get some ASE training! They do computer based training throughout the year now-
I think Benson is the closest drag strip from here. Test and tune is on Thursdays and costs. $5.00- Pretty fun place too!

Old 08-09-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahgrfx View Post
If you're a master ASE Tech with some dealer/manufacturer training you should be starting around $25+ per flat rate hour.
Some ASE training and some experience, you should easily get $20 per flat rate hour.
Tires and oil change techs usually top out at $15.
So, if you don't have any- get some ASE training! They do computer based training throughout the year now-
I think Benson is the closest drag strip from here. Test and tune is on Thursdays and costs. $5.00- Pretty fun place too!
Wow you just made my day . This is exactly what I wanted to hear .

I definetly qualify for top pay . Have 6 years at an acura dealer 8 total years independent and I owned my own shop for a year . I am ase master recertified although I let it laps when my address changed but ill get it again before I go down .

Omg $5 test and tune . I an going to need to get another car .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary