U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 06:16 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,427,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbfamily View Post
cncsmomndad and steam67 - I really enjoyed reading your descriptions of the neighborhood "feel." We just signed a contract to purchase a resale in Sunset Oaks, after having our current home on the market for 6 months. We are really looking forward to the social aspects of the neighborhood, and hope to meet many families that have similar-aged children! Looking forward to our move at the end of Sept!
Congratulations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 09:23 PM

160 posts, read 161,791 times
@dcbfamily - we have same price range up to 350k.. I didn't think you could get custom resales/new at this price range. Beside Sunset Oaks, which other communities have custom homes at this range? We're open to Cary, Apex, Holly Springs. We've remodeled our 20 yr old house to sell, and certainly don't want to do that again and so we're looking at new homes or fairly new resale.

All - thanks for the HOA info. I didn't think about the pools/water park being open only during the summer. That's a steep price to pay for resort-like amenities if they're only available 25% of the year!

Old 08-17-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncsmomndad View Post
We bought new because we were unhappy after living in our old John Weiland home. I don't love buying new, but it was great to make sure we know what is behind the walls and we were able to specify extra insulation in places like the garage ceiling to make sure the room above is comfortable (and it is!) Garman homes is also building in the neighborhood and there are a few lots left.

The pool isn't included in the HOA dues. We didn't join due to the limited hours, even more limited if you consider the times it has to be closed for (ahem) things floating or for storms. A bunch of neighbors aren't thrilled with just how busy it is either from what I hear. We are looking at putting a pool in our backyard, too, in the next year or two.

We didn't even consider Woodcreek because of 540's path.
@cncsmomndad - if you don't mind me asking, what didn't you like about the John Weiland home? I've read they're very good builders and build quality homes. I haven't heard of Garman homes - are they custom or tract builders? There's a new listing in Sunset Oaks with 1st floor master which is a 'must have' requirement. So, this limits our choices significantly.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:32 PM

islander, which listing are you looking at with the first floor master? We have a first floor master and love our floorplan. Just wondering if it is the same house.

We didn't like the lack of insulation in the JW house. Others in the n'hood had the same issue. I mean, our room over the garage was so cold we had to put a space heater in there and eventually move our daughter out of that room because it was so uncomfortably cold. The bathtub got so icy in the winter that the first time my sister visited and took a shower in that tub she screamed because the tub was so cold. The whole front of the house had walls cold to the touch in the winter. The exterior wall with the tile backsplash in the kitchen was freezing to the touch, too. The cabinets on either side of the fireplace are hot in the summer and cold in the winter. My in-laws still live in a JW home and have the same issue. We had a company come out and they did a thermal camera scan of the rooms and we were shocked at how dark "blue" so many walls (especially corners) were, but most of all how the entire room over the garage was nothing but blue and you could see dark blue movement of air coming out from under the closet doors. The wood windows were terrible, the screens were very insecure and fell out with any moderate wind. The roof leaked twice in driving winds, but at least they came out to fix it since the house was less than 3 years old. Have things changed? I don't know, but we were unhappy with the construction of that house.

Garman is tract, but allows you to make a lot of custom changes. Our floorplan stayed pretty much to plan, but one neighbor with the same plan bumped out the whole back of the house 4 feet, another bumped her master out 6 feet and eating area 4 feet. We added a 36 inch range and 2 dishwashers. We chose this model because of the first floor master and the galley style kitchen.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:49 AM

46 posts, read 37,580 times
We really liked the Garman homes, and actually fell in love with one when we first put our current house on the market. But, that home sold before we could sell ours, and they don't have anything that will be move-in ready at the end of Sept, that also doesn't back power lines (one of our restrictions). But, we have walked the remaining lots with the sales agent, and did seriously consider building one before our house sold. They are a much higher quality than the national builders, and they have a great website that shows they really care about customer satisfaction (again my very humble opinions!).

We live in southern Wake, and I actually love the neighborhood that we are leaving, but our priorities have changed from wanting a large home on a large lot, to getting a smaller home on a smaller lot within a great community. Also, I LOVE Fuquay, but we wanted to try to relocate to an area at least a few minutes closer to my husband's job in Cary, without actually moving to Cary. Other neighborhoods we looked at: Sunset Ridge, Park at West Lake, Woodcreek, Bella Casa, 12 Oaks, Holly Glen, Haddon Hall. We also quickly ruled out the Apex neighborhoods, because for our family, it isn't the best fit (but there are a lot of people who really love Apex and you might also). It's hard to advise you without knowing what your priorities are in your new home, but I think my list are all neighborhoods I would consider to be "social for families."

Old 08-18-2012, 08:02 AM

@cncsmomndad - I was looking at the "What Now" floorplan. That's the only Garman plan I found with 1st floor master. Do you know much about the Wedgewood community they have (or had) in Cary? May already be sold out since it's a small community that started last year according to their website. Sorry to hear about the JW home you had. Wasn't there a recourse against the builder for that? . Sounds like certain parts of the house could be deem "uninhabitable" during extreme weather. I'll keep that in mind when we look at JW homes in Woodcreek. Would a pre-dry wall inspection help discover this sort of insulation problem early on during construction period?

@dcbfamily - I already asked my agent to put Sunset Oaks on the our list to visit. I've checked out the neighborhoods you listed and most of them have a 1st floor master plan. We'd like to stay close to the 1 fwy or Holly Springs Rd and within 10 miles or so from a private school in Raleigh/Cary border, which eliminated a few neighborhoods.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:32 AM

Islander, we have the What Now plan. It is working out really well for us. Unfortunately, the one going in across the street does back to the power lines. That was a big reason we chose the lot we did. I would definitely do a pre-drywall walk thru on any new construction. And have an inspector come out to inspect framing. Garman was fine with us doing that. We were out here nearly every day anyway. We were the second owner of our Weiland home. We made several complaints, but they wouldn't do anything about it telling us it was to code when it was built and the heat from the vent was registering at a proper temp. We ended up selling it soon after we started looking into taking further steps.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conigam View Post
Thanks for all the info - it is so helpful and welcome. Sounds like our family is going to love it there! Our current neighborhood is lacking the free running children and social events so we are looking forward to that. Now to find a house.......can't wait to get down there!
Sent you DM to inquire about your visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary