Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 07:35 AM

23 posts, read 40,895 times

Advertisements

I lived in Raleigh for 8 years, until 2010. Loved the city, loved to see the nice changes while living there (new art museum, more mid/high rises, Hillsborough Street re-design, North Hills, new convention center, etc.). It seems to me that the one really unattractive thing (about downtown, specifically) is the area just to the S.E. and East of downtown. Raleigh really needs to look past the whole "historically African-American area" blinders that are used too often as an excuse for not redeveloping unsafe/unsightly areas, and really think about how this quarter could be re-invigorated for the future. Most of the housing there is not of historic value, much is not owner-occupied, and frankly much of it is borderline slummy.

I live in Europe now (I know, I know), and what I've learned is that the areas near the city centers really need to be at a higher level (when possible) to keep the "core" city centers healthy and attractive to visitors (of ALL races/creeds). Residential infill of low-rise buildings (4 floors max) would be perfect, with retail or art spaces on the first floor here and there, along with "buy up/knock down" of certain rows of marginal properties. People shouldn't have to worry about taking a wrong turn at Moore Square when they just want to walk around with their family; Raleigh is better than that. Lets stop pretending that the SE/East areas near downtown are off limits to serious redevelopment for the benefit of all socio-economic levels.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 07:47 AM

735 posts, read 1,583,812 times
Have you been through those areas? And I do not mean on the"outskirts" of it either. In the heart of it, you would think you are in a third world country.

Personally, since I've been robbed and damn near stabbed and shot in the area, I will just go ahead and say that I'd rather the area stay like it is vs. spread the crime all around Raleigh which is how they would attempt to "fix" the area.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:22 PM

56 posts, read 95,850 times
I would think most of those people would move to the Garner/Clayton area if they were kicked out for redevelopment. I still think S.E. Raleigh needs to be filled with rowhouses and apartment/condos like the fan district in Richmond or like the pearl district in Portland. Put retail and resturants along the street sides and have housing above it. S.E. Raleigh has a grid pattern so this can easily be done. As Raleigh claiming to be a "green city" it lacks walkable neighborhoods. I wish people in United States would finally realize how such neighborhoods would benefit. With the obesity rate going up as we speak such neighborhoods would help this problem. With the world soon on the decline of cheap oil and high gas prices it would be smart to think about starting such neighborhoods. American got to learn how to get around and not depend on cars. Well that's my 2 cents.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:36 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,195,970 times
how do you take all of those absentee-owner properties, some of which have numerous deed/interest-holders, and all the owner-occuppied by < median income/wealth folks, and MAKE them get their properties redeveloped?

I assume you realize, and support PRIVATE development, which is how redevelopment naturally occurs?

Sure, the city tore down Halifax Court next to Peace College, and that entire area (Seaboard, Pilot Mill, N Blount, etc) have been more successful than not. The Feds gave Raleigh a Hope VI grant of $29MM.

And the city has torn down the similar complex next to Washington Elementary (name escapes me) and will be attempting revitalization there as well. Since it's not tucked between government and 2 established middle class residential areas, we'll have to see how they do.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:10 AM

23 posts, read 40,895 times
Gotta take it one block at a time, using Moore Square as the reference point. Every homeowner (absentee or not) has their price. Also, these houses all need regular inspections by the city. I'm worried that many of them are not safe, and it wasn't more than 5 years ago that there was a big controversy regarding city inspectors actually doing their jobs in this area.

10 full city blocks would be a a good target, over the course of a decade, to re-create the area. Row houses is a great idea, but also 3-4 story commercial/residential buildings with gallery/coffeeshop retail on the ground floor. Most development should be private, but the area would also be good for some limited government office space (not social service "retail" services, don't worry.) Shaw University would also be a welcome partner.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ok2tx2nj2nc View Post
American got to learn how to get around and not depend on cars. Well that's my 2 cents.
And how would you get to and from where you needed to go (for example Work, School, Family outings)? Let me guess, you would just sit on your ass and do nothing all day? Sounds like a wonderful Utopian idea to me.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:01 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,149,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
And the city has torn down the similar complex next to Washington Elementary (name escapes me) and will be attempting revitalization there as well. Since it's not tucked between government and 2 established middle class residential areas, we'll have to see how they do.
Ahh yes, the infamous Chavis Heights. My husband attended Washington Elementary and told me some interesting stories about things that would go on right across the street from the school in those projects. He was shocked when we drove by the other day and they had torn them all down. It's such a shame to see that area just fenced off with no trespassing signs. It's federal property so I wonder if that and the economic crash are the two big things keeping it from being redeveloped.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:03 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,149,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorfan63 View Post
And how would you get to and from where you needed to go (for example Work, School, Family outings)? Let me guess, you would just sit on your ass and do nothing all day? Sounds like a wonderful Utopian idea to me.
The bus? A bicycle? Walking? Amtrak? There's more ways to get around town than a car

Old 08-15-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
The bus? A bicycle? Walking? Amtrak? There's more ways to get around town than a car
I'm sorry but I refuse to even consider the thought of 314,164,757 (and counting) people living under those restraints. That's a lot of steel tracks, buses, and high rises (for the ability to walk and bike) to support and feed that population.

Let's just be realistic and say that humans will ALWAYS want a way to move as they please, when they please. Maybe not cars forever, but it will always be something that the VERY few minority population will ***** and moan about.

Last edited by warriorfan63; 08-15-2012 at 07:58 AM.. Reason: Added a few more million to the population clock as per CB.gov

Old 08-15-2012, 08:41 AM

45 posts, read 120,921 times
In the over one year I've lived there I've seen a ton of movement geared to redeveloping the area. Two homes that were empty lots on Hargett (one razed due to the tornado damage) have homes that were built on them this past year with another abandoned house about to be razed and rebuilt soon. Another lot that's in a cul de sac, but its back to Hargett, that had tornado damage was just razed so they could rebuild that. Two homes on Martin were just built as well one abandoned, boarded up home being renovated right now. Lastly,the ex-elementary school, turned mental clinic, is due to become a charter school, which hopefully will prompt something to be done with the now closed YWCA as well. Yes, the area has A LOT of work that still needs to be done, but change is acoming.

One further comment regarding the dependancy on cars and raleigh being a city that lacks walkability. I see a lot of people take the bus in and walk to the DMV (?) off Tarboro. The fact that the city has been adding more bike racks have prompted more people to ride their bikes downtown and the fact that they are talking of adding more R-Line stops will help out some I believe as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary