Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 09:52 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times

Advertisements

To go faster, remove everything from your pockets and put them in your luggage and wear slip-on shoes. Put everything in the bins, including jacket, sweater, shoes, whatever. Place them flat. Use as many bins as you want. Follow the TSA's instructions about liquids (and everything else).

I never heard of anyone having Internet while in flight.

I took a flight from Raleigh to DC last Friday night (US Air), and I was the only one in the entire security check area an hour before the flight. Two others eventually showed up. (They cancelled our flight and put us on an earlier flight.) Jet Blue is a whole different experience (much better); I enjoy HGTV while flying.

A while ago, I taped ridiculous photos on the cover of my laptop to differentiate it from others. I heard that in busy airports, theft of laptops is not uncommon after the security check. And the photos make me laugh, which of course, is vitally important.

I also have a red carry-on, which was great late Friday night when everyone needed to give up their carry-on to be stored below the commuter jet. I liked easily picking out my red suitcase from a sea of black ones at night on the tarmac -- all the men with black cases had to check the tags.

I did learn when my carry-on did not make it back with me Wednesday night that there are now a lot of red carry-ons. I was afraid someone mistakenly took it, thinking it was theirs -- but it was the airline's fault and was delivered home later.

Next time, though, I'll paint neon stripes on my red case to avoid someone picking it up, thinking it's theirs. It did happen to someone while I was at the airport -- a young man had a lookalike black carry-on that wasn't his and wasn't quite sure what to do.

I think next time I'm going to consider buying a thrift-shop wardrobe instead of bringing my favorite clothes that might end up in lost luggage. I can then just dispose of them before I return home -- and my other belongings would fit into a tote bag which would easily fit into a commuter jet.

So, bottom line: Dress like a bag lady (or bag man) while flying, with neon graffiti on your luggage and silly photos on your laptop, and it's far less frustrating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 09:57 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I never heard of anyone having Internet while in flight.
I've been on several flights with Internet service available. On some it was sponsored by Google and free. On others you had to pay for access.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:20 AM

51 posts, read 112,252 times
Most delta flights have wifi these days. You won't have any troubles with security.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:24 AM

135 posts, read 598,744 times
Internet availability is very hit and miss. Delta seems a bit better than American, which almost never has it available. In theory you can check on the airline's website as to whether there is internet on the flight or not.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:49 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Be sure to give yourself a little extra time if you have an early morning or late afternoon flight.
The security lines are jammed for those with 5:30 ~ 6:30AM flights. I was amazed there were that many people awake at 4:30AM. The lines for mid morning flights are almost deserted.

As others have said, for your sake and others in line behind you, get everything out of your pockets and ready for the x-ray machine before you get up to it.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:59 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,937,653 times
Tuesdays through Thursdays are the easiest at RDU for getting through security quickly. Monday mornings are brutal and you need to arrive at least an hour before your scheduled boarding time. The process is much faster if you aren't checking a bag, check in online 24 hours ahead of your scheduled departure time and print out your boarding pass before you leave home. You will have to have your laptop out to go through security (but not an Ipad). Don't forget to pack all liquids (less than 3 oz only) in a quart size ziplock bag. You will likely have to go thru the scanner, unless you opt for a pat down...but that takes more time.

They only physically inspect your luggage if there's something suspicious...matches, lighter, knives, any liquid over 3 oz, atypical objects...anything that's out of the ordinary.

Try not to lug a huge suitcase onto the plane unless you want to check it for free (hint, hint). I'm guessing that since you are not a frequent flier your boarding position will be near the end and by the time you board all the overhead bin space will be full. The gate agent may ask before boarding if anyone wants to check their bag due to a full plane. Here's your opportunity to circumvent the checked baggage fee (unless you are flying Southwest)!

No free WiFi in RDU. If you have a smart phone then you can use your phone's mobile hotspot (if so equipped) in the terminal but not on the plane after it has left the terminal. Delta has GoGo internet on board most flights for a fee (but the speed is slower than typical WiFi) but you can monitor your flight progress on GoGo's map or shop on Amazon for free.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:03 PM

342 posts, read 872,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ohzrd View Post
No free WiFi in RDU. If you have a smart phone then you can use your phone's mobile hotspot (if so equipped) in the terminal but not on the plane after it has left the terminal. Delta has GoGo internet on board most flights for a fee (but the speed is slower than typical WiFi) but you can monitor your flight progress on GoGo's map or shop on Amazon for free.
Should be soon if not already

RDU to offer free Wi-Fi | abc11.com

Old 08-17-2012, 02:27 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
TSA has a website at which you can check estimated security line wait times for a given airport and time, although it doesn't appear to be working at the moment.

http://waittime.tsa.dhs.gov/index.html

Old 08-17-2012, 04:55 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times
Don't sweat the security check. It is relatively quick and painless. When you get there, you will:
  • Have a TSA agent check your boarding pass & drivers license (or passport), to verify you are allowed to enter the secured area.
  • Remove your laptop from your carry-on luggage. The laptop goes into its own bin.
  • Remove your shoes, belt and jacket. Those go into a bin.
  • Remove *everything* from your pockets. That includes your wallet, any paper, coins, tissues. Anything. Those go in your carry-on luggage or in a bin.
  • Any liquids of any kind. You get a 1-quart bag, and nothing can be more than 3-oz in that bag. If you are bringing on toothpaste, shampoo, etc., buying "trial size" versions is a good option.
You will put all that, and your carry-on luggage, on the conveyer belt. Wait to push it through. Then move to the personal screening area. The TSA folks will tell you when to enter the scanner. They will also tell you what to do (stand with your feet on the yellow feet & raise your hands over your head). You will then exit, wait for an OK or, if they see anything, a quick pat-down in that area, and you are on your way.

Grab your stuff off the conveyer belt, put it all back where it started. Grab your belt, shoes, and coat, walk over to one of the seats just beyond the security checkpoint, and put them back on.

After that, you are fine. All you need is your boarding pass for getting on the plane. Theoretically, they could search your bag before bording, but I haven't seen since my last international flight.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:36 PM

84 posts, read 159,039 times
Nude is where it's heading--it's already accepted. Might as well just get used to it now. Actually, that could help reduce America's obesity problems too!

Man who stripped at TSA checkpoint: Liberty trumped modesty - latimes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary