Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2012, 07:31 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
It works just fine in NYC, where many kids choose which High School they go to and use public transportation to get there.

You really can't have it all....there is only so much money. If you live across the street from the school with crap test scores (and they exist, even here in *gasp* western Cary) you have a choice - travel to the school that has better scores (which ultimately mean nothing in the child's academic life). Or, put some pressure on the closer school's administration to get those scores up. Because those high scores? they don't come easy and they don't come without a lot of pressure. I have a feeling a lot of people that just had to be in our school are in for a big surprise come January (a/k/a test prep time). And everything else being equal, there's no real reason to make that trip.
We have lousy public transportation here. Which is why NOT providing buses is unfair to people who don't have the money/means to get their kids to whatever school they chose.

Not saying I like the choice plan. Or the busing situation. I personally liked having base schools. Just pointing out why it won't work to eliminate busing here.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:16 PM

1,484 posts, read 4,154,484 times
Default try?

Quote:
Originally Posted by touretteboy65 View Post
Chances of us being able to get a school close to where we'll be relocating to in Wake County? I'd like to relocate to either Holly Springs or Apex; my wife thinks we should try Johnston County for the first year because she's concerned about the school situation in Wake. I feel it'll be fine, but have to agree with her in regards to the chaos going on now in Wake. We plan on moving at the end of this month, so if anyone can provide some input, I'd appreciate it. I know from my research and the comments I've found here on this website indicate the schools in Wake are very good, but the placement factor weighs heavy on my mind. Thanks again.
Define try? Renting fine, buying = uh oh
Buy a home and sell it a year later in this market mean losing money. Also johnston county doesnt sell as fast as Wake in any market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 07:32 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
More on the busing fiasco in Wake County in the N&O today. Read it here:

Wake leaders apologize for bus woes, promise more fixes - Wake County - NewsObserver.com

Old 09-05-2012, 07:44 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
Quote:
Board member Jim Martin, a Democrat, said the choice plan increased overall mileage by buses by 20 percent.

“How we can add 4,000 extra students, increase mileage by 20 percent and still think we can reduce 50 buses?” Martin said. “That’s not math I understand.”
What drives me crazy is that so many people pointed out the fallacy in this but the board just threw up their hands and said, "You worry warts! You are making a mountain out of a molehill! Everything will work just fine!"

Old 09-05-2012, 07:48 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
What drives me crazy is that so many people pointed out the fallacy in this but the board just threw up their hands and said, "You worry warts! You are making a mountain out of a molehill! Everything will work just fine!"
What they actually said was "the choice plan won't cause any problems at all!". It must be interesting to be one of 3 or 4 people in an entire county that believe that!!!

Old 09-05-2012, 09:54 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Wow, what a mess! And to think they didn't see it coming. Come on, we at C-D saw it coming, even those of us who don't live in Wake. Perhaps, we can be the independent transportation audit they so desire?

Old 09-05-2012, 11:33 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Wow, what a mess! And to think they didn't see it coming. Come on, we at C-D saw it coming, even those of us who don't live in Wake. Perhaps, we can be the independent transportation audit they so desire?
If they give me the thousands of dollars they'll spend on the audit, I'll have a report written for them in about ten minutes. It'll be the best turnaround they've ever had on an audit

Old 09-05-2012, 05:39 PM

351 posts, read 770,045 times
Ya gotta love how the Dem majority members were quoted in the article -- it wasn't me, I didn't do it, I told you it wouldn't work. Straight out of the Donkey playbook! It doesn't matter that they don't have an answer; just blame everyone else.

Evans was the worst - "I want the public to know that when I agreed to allow the staff to implement this new plan..." - blah blah blah. Maybe when the transportation issues get resolved she'll take credit for how she called in Seal Team 6, cleared the roads of traffic, and made the buses go faster.

Until this board can grow up, act their age, and do what they were elected to -- WCPSS is screwed.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:54 PM

407 posts, read 1,074,337 times
Wow!!!! So I have to assume the situation in Wake County is this bad? My wife and I are planning a trip this weekend to find rental property for our first year there, and she is quite nervous concerning the school situation. We have two young daughters, currently in the 2nd the 4th grade. Should we expect the worst? My wife and I are concerned our kids will be dumped in a low performance school or one that is miles away from our new home. She's read the blogs concerning the school transportation issues and finds the current situation ridiculous (as I do). We're seriously considering looking exclusively in Johnston County because of Wake's issues, but will our kids be missing out on quality schools as a result?

Old 09-05-2012, 07:00 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
The busing situation is bad right now but it will get fixed under public backlash. (Most of us anticipated this very thing months ago. Too bad the board doesn't read CD!!)
Anyway, I would strongly recommend you NOT base your decisions off this thread. This is the b*tch and moan thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary