Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 09:06 PM

4 posts, read 11,468 times

Advertisements

Hi I am moving to Raleigh in the next month or so for a job transfer and need to find a 1 bedroom apartment. I am in retail management and will be traveling between Crabtree and Triangle Town Mall. Being in retail, I don't earn a huge salary so my budget is around $600/month. It seems that there are very few vacancies in the area and that the cheaper apartments are in the Capital Blvd, Falls of Neuse to Six Forks Rd area with those closer to Capital Blvd being the least expensive. I am just wondering if these areas are relatively safe? I am coming down in a week to look for an apartment and only have a couple of days so really don't have much time to get the "lay of the land". I really need to concentrate on looking at an areas that will be safe for a single woman living alone.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 10:49 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Send an instant message to "saturnfan" on this board. The complex where he lives would be good for you, I think. I don't know the name of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindiS View Post
Hi I am moving to Raleigh in the next month or so for a job transfer and need to find a 1 bedroom apartment. I am in retail management and will be traveling between Crabtree and Triangle Town Mall. Being in retail, I don't earn a huge salary so my budget is around $600/month. It seems that there are very few vacancies in the area and that the cheaper apartments are in the Capital Blvd, Falls of Neuse to Six Forks Rd area with those closer to Capital Blvd being the least expensive. I am just wondering if these areas are relatively safe? I am coming down in a week to look for an apartment and only have a couple of days so really don't have much time to get the "lay of the land". I really need to concentrate on looking at an areas that will be safe for a single woman living alone.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Old 08-28-2012, 03:48 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Send an instant message to "saturnfan" on this board. The complex where he lives would be good for you, I think. I don't know the name of it.
Our home, Northridge Crossings, is a block or so off Capital very close to Triangle Town Center and I-540.

Northridge Crossings | Raleigh, NC

Safe with individual monitored alarms and high intensity area lighting.

My 1 BR is a very large 890 SF and rents for over $700 + utilities. Way less than many other newer complexes just coming on line.

Beware of the Mini-City area off Capital and New Hope Rd. Looks goos but is crime ridden. The complex I lived in for 8 years in that area (5009 New Hope Rd) just had a drive by murder about a week ago.

Try Apartment Ratings :: The leading source of apartment reviews by renters for renters. for tenant opinions.

Good luck.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:22 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,768,827 times
Perhaps another complex to check out would be The Reserve at Lake Lynn | Floor Plans & Pricing | Apartments for Rent in Raleigh, NC ..... I always thought if I were to live in an apartment this would be a pretty good place being so close to the lake and walkway. Don't have any firsthand knowledge regarding the apartments but just another option.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:57 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,379,548 times
Please stay away from The Lakes Apartments ( The Lakes Apartments of Raleigh Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Raleigh apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com) which are off of Sandy Forks off of Falls of the Neuse. Just plain terrible and not safe to boot. Before we got married, my husband lived there and I've also had several friends make the same mistake. A week after they moved in they were trying to find a way to get out!

Old 08-28-2012, 11:14 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,426,598 times
I'll echo what Saturnfan just said - stay away from Minicity! My complex is also pretty safe and reasonably priced - Brookefield Apartments. Management is good and maintenance is prompt and friendly. On top of that we're close to I-540 @ Falls so you'd be one/two exits away from Triangle Town Center and a reasonable drive down Falls to I-440 to get to Crabtree (or down I-540 to the Glenwood exit). Most of the tenants are young professionals and while it has just about anything you'd want (pool, fitness room, close to a greenway trail) you're not paying for extraneous things that seem to be part of the newer complexes. Feel free to PM me with any questions or for other area recommendations.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:54 PM

56 posts, read 95,854 times
Try Cumberland Cove or Bridge Port apartments. They are located off of Lake Lynn. When I went to Cumberland Cove they were asking $707 for a two bedroom. At Bridgeport they had two bedrooms for like $720 but then again this was in the winter when prices were cheaper. So the one bedrooms I can imagine are cheaper.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:32 PM

4 posts, read 11,468 times
Thanks so much guys. I will check into the recommendations. So should I look closer to the 540 beltline than the 440 beltline? Sorry, but where exactly is Mini City? Thanks for the warnings about the Lakes. Their website looked really nice and was one I would probably have gone to see. It is funny how someone from out of town with no knowledge of an area can be completely fooled by a great website!?!

Old 08-28-2012, 02:58 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,426,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindiS View Post
Thanks so much guys. I will check into the recommendations. So should I look closer to the 540 beltline than the 440 beltline? Sorry, but where exactly is Mini City? Thanks for the warnings about the Lakes. Their website looked really nice and was one I would probably have gone to see. It is funny how someone from out of town with no knowledge of an area can be completely fooled by a great website!?!
So looking at a map of Raleigh, I'd consider Mini City to be the eastern stretch of Capital Blvd between the US-1/US-401 split and East Millbrook/North New Hope Rd.

In general I'd think you'd be fine close to either I-440 or I-540 since Triangle Town Center is right off I-540 and Crabtree is off I-440. From my experiences though the apartments closer to I-440 tend to either be dumps (places like The Palms, Montecito, etc) or a little too pricey (esp. any of the ones inside the Beltline like The Beckanna, The Tribute, etc.). In general I think apartments off 540 will give you the best mix of bang for your buck.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:38 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
I think of Mini-City as the plaza where Food Lion is in at 4510 Capital Boulevard -- on that side of the street. It's called Mini-City Plaza. I heard there are some good restaurants there. The apartments with some issues are on nearby New Hope Road.

The Sam's Club, Lowe's (home improvement and also the grocery store) and other stores are across the street on Capital and are fine. A home decor place will be opening in the former Target's, and a Sheetz will be opening across the street from it on Green Road if all approvals go through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary