Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 07:43 AM

208 posts, read 413,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
What reason are you getting for being declined coverage? Is the PA break-in cited?
The previous claim from our old house in PA. I was told by the agent I spoke with yesterday that we are now considered "high-risk" and that most new agencies will not write a policy for us even though we only have the single claim. She also mentioned that we will probably need to go with some "predatory policy" until 3 years have passed and the claim drops off of our record.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 07:46 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,171,837 times
Have your Realtor call one of the insurance agents that she refers her clients to. Ask them to check into it. They'll be able to see WHY you are having problems. If it is the ONE CLAIM against your property, I'd be surprised.

We had similar issues but we had two LARGE claims due to a leak that wasn't properly fixed the first time.

If you can't find anyone to insure you, the state does have a program that will insure you. However, it will cost double what you would have normally paid and your deductible will be higher. After a few years, with no claims, you should go back to a normal policy with normal rates.

Vicki

Old 08-28-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
If you have access to USAA, you might try them.

But, honestly, I'm a little suspicious that there's something else going on here. That you've been summarily turned down for this single claim just doesn't jibe.

Are you sure there isn't some other reason - like a family member was the thief? Or No police report was filed? Or you have a so-called "dangerous dog breed"? Or you've built on a flood plain?

In any event, it sounds like you need a licensed broker to sort this out for you. Pm me if you want a name and number (no, it's not me or my family.)

No family member was the thief, all of our family lives in either Michigan or New Jersey, nowhere near where we were at in PA. A full police investigation was completed including a police report (that is required if you want to make an INS claim). No arrests were ever made. I don't have any dogs, and we are not building on the 100 yr flood plain.

I've spoken to two brokers so far and they didn't seem to want to help me once I told them there was a claim within the last 3 years (8 months ago).

Old 08-28-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stradt03 View Post
No family member was the thief, all of our family lives in either Michigan or New Jersey, nowhere near where we were at in PA. A full police investigation was completed including a police report (that is required if you want to make an INS claim). No arrests were ever made. I don't have any dogs, and we are not building on the 100 yr flood plain.

I've spoken to two brokers so far and they didn't seem to want to help me once I told them there was a claim within the last 3 years (8 months ago).
I have heard that many of the homeowner's insurance companies won't take a new client unless they insure their cars, as well. Does that play into any of this?

Vicki

Old 08-28-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I have heard that many of the homeowner's insurance companies won't take a new client unless they insure their cars, as well. Does that play into any of this?

Vicki
I wasn't asked by a single agent if I would like to insure my auto with them. I just called State Farm back and I guess the report shows that I had one claim on 12/27 for burglary/theft totalling $15,790.00. The woman also said that there will not be a single "A++" insurance company that will write me a policy until 3 yrs has passed since the claim.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:04 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,132,203 times
Quote:
Eva, how did you go about getting HOins then?
We ended up arguing back and forth with our current insurance company and they "gave in" from the fact we also have car insurance with them and we threatened to contact the NCDOI.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:07 AM

19,386 posts, read 27,660,580 times
Quote:
I wasn't asked by a single agent if I would like to insure my auto with them. I just called State Farm back and I guess the report shows that I had one claim on 12/27 for burglary/theft totalling $15,790.00. The woman also said that there will not be a single "A++" insurance company that will write me a policy until 3 yrs has passed since the claim.
Did you ask her who WOULD insure you?

I'm also inclined to agree with Vicki. Have you tried calling your auto insurance carrier? And why not insure with the same company that covered you in PA (who assumably also handled your car insurance)?

Old 08-28-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Did you ask her who WOULD insure you?

I'm also inclined to agree with Vicki. Have you tried calling your auto insurance carrier? And why not insure with the same company that covered you in PA (who assumably also handled your car insurance)?
Yes I did, she gave me the number of a local broker that she claims will be able to insure me through a higher-rate "B company".

I insured with a local company in PA that is not able to write in NC.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:19 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,148,176 times
Default also

try talking to the bank that is giving you the loan to explain since you qualify "well" to them you are a good investment for them. They might want to help you. Then again they might alos get spooked by the claim. 15k is not that much that it should have this impact.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Ok. Now it makes sense. A claim totalling $15,790.00 is a HUGE claim!!!

I agree that insurance is there for just these circumstances; however, the insurance companies, today, look back on your past claims and even your credit rating to see if you are considered high risk. With a claim of that size, I see why you are being turned down.

You should contact the state of NC to check into how much a policy will cost you. Keep in mind that it may be double or triple what a normal company would charge but you may have no choice. Ask how long you would need to keep this type of policy before that last claim falls off.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary