Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 05:16 AM

208 posts, read 414,722 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My wife and I just moved to the area due to my relocation with my employer. We are building a house and having a terrible time finding home owner's insurance.

We lived in Central PA in a new house which we moved into in March of 2011. On December 26, 2011 we had a break in of our house and an insurance claim was made to cover damages and theft of items. Fast forward to now, we have made dozens of phone calls to agencies to secure a policy for our new house but have been declined by every single one up to this point. My wife and I both have good full-time jobs, good credit (750+), and have one had one claim on ANY insurance of ours. I just think that it is absolutely ridiculous that we can not find ANYONE to insure us.

Does anyone here work in insurance or know of something I can do?

Thanks,

Jason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 05:32 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
What reason are you getting for being declined coverage? Is the PA break-in cited?

Old 08-28-2012, 05:39 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
HO underwriting will deny you for recent prior claims. They basically want you to file a claim if your house is gone and that's about it.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:43 AM

99 posts, read 181,808 times
what's the point of getting HO insurance if you can't file a claim it's designed to protect for fear of a rate increase, cancellation, or denial on an insurance policy??

How did you get a loan?? Lenders require insurance to protect their assets.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:25 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,154,484 times
Default call the state

Call the state insurance agency and explain and see if they can help. Ask is it normal for a person to have one claim and then not be able to buy a home here?

I am willing to bet its more because it happended 8 months ago and now you are in a new state.

You should list who you called.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhero View Post
what's the point of getting HO insurance if you can't file a claim it's designed to protect for fear of a rate increase, cancellation, or denial on an insurance policy??

How did you get a loan?? Lenders require insurance to protect their assets.
My thoughts exactly!

We are in the final stages of the loan approval, I just need to secure HO ins and we should be good to go.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:37 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
We've run into a similar situation with insurance. We filed a claim with our RENTER'S insurance two years ago when faulty wiring fried all of our electronics. Then when it came time to shop for homeowner's insurance we were getting denied because of that claim on our renter's insurance. What the hell is the point of the insurance then?

Old 08-28-2012, 07:40 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Perhaps you should pull a report of claims against your insurance policies (available free online) to confirm what is being reported.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
We've run into a similar situation with insurance. We filed a claim with our RENTER'S insurance two years ago when faulty wiring fried all of our electronics. Then when it came time to shop for homeowner's insurance we were getting denied because of that claim on our renter's insurance. What the hell is the point of the insurance then?
Eva, how did you go about getting HOins then?

Old 08-28-2012, 07:42 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
If you have access to USAA, you might try them.

But, honestly, I'm a little suspicious that there's something else going on here. That you've been summarily turned down for this single claim just doesn't jibe.

Are you sure there isn't some other reason - like a family member was the thief? Or No police report was filed? Or you have a so-called "dangerous dog breed"? Or you've built on a flood plain?

In any event, it sounds like you need a licensed broker to sort this out for you. Pm me if you want a name and number (no, it's not me or my family.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary