Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 10:26 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times

Advertisements

If you asked, people would tell you I rarely recommend Cary. I live here. We have new residents coming out of our ears. That said? You want Wake County. Cary, Apex, North Raleigh.

The schools thing is not as scary as you're imaging.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:04 AM

315 posts, read 767,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
If you asked, people would tell you I rarely recommend Cary. I live here. We have new residents coming out of our ears. That said? You want Wake County. Cary, Apex, North Raleigh.

The schools thing is not as scary as you're imaging.
The more and more I look into things, the more and more I think Wake is the way to go.

We're signing with a realtor Friday and our house will be going on the market after the long weekend. She thinks we will have a contract within 30 days, (knock on wood), so looks like we may be climbing out of your ears before Christmas.

I am more then a little excited about this move!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 05:11 AM

23 posts, read 40,916 times
I would say Cary and Apex, or the "Southpoint" area of southern Durham County (this is very close to Chapel Hill). I personally like Raleigh, and lived in the North Hills neighborhood which has a large "mixed used" retail area.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:43 AM

423 posts, read 1,094,911 times
I also grew up in Coral Springs. So glad to be out of there. I now live in SW Durham which reminds me of the Atlantic/University area by the Coral Square Mall twenty years ago. The only issue with SW Durham are the schools. You probably will not like Chapel Hill or Hillsborough at all. I would think that some of Raleigh area off of 540, Apex, or outskirts of Brier Creek would be a good fit for you.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:17 AM

315 posts, read 767,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocharoman View Post
I also grew up in Coral Springs. So glad to be out of there. I now live in SW Durham which reminds me of the Atlantic/University area by the Coral Square Mall twenty years ago. The only issue with SW Durham are the schools. You probably will not like Chapel Hill or Hillsborough at all. I would think that some of Raleigh area off of 540, Apex, or outskirts of Brier Creek would be a good fit for you.
Thanks! How long have you been gone from CS? My family left there in 1992 but I'm still in touch with friend and I've heard that it has really gone down hill.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:08 PM

423 posts, read 1,094,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barli View Post
Thanks! How long have you been gone from CS? My family left there in 1992 but I'm still in touch with friend and I've heard that it has really gone down hill.
I lived in CS from 1977 - 1991. My parents are still there in the same house I grew up in. It has gone downhill quite a bit. During the housing boom the area doubled in value and then dropped in half quickly which caused a ton of foreclosures. It was a great place to be a kid, but after I went to college I never went back because there aren't many good opportunities in South Florida.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:36 AM

924 posts, read 2,103,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ok2tx2nj2nc View Post
Really the only places you are going to get the box stores and all the amenities is in Wake County. I am sure there are places in Durham but Durham is FULL of crime. Every day on the news its some type of shooting or robbery. I know Durham has some nice places to live but its limited. Chatham is very rural so I doubt that will fit your style. Johnson County has Clayton but Clayton is still a little country and kinda rural. They might have SOME box stores but not many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ok2tx2nj2nc View Post
Please explain then! I don't see any facts about it being ignorant. I have lived here for 16 years I should know what I am talking about. Just because you have a different opinion doesn't mean I am ignorant. Thanks and have a great day!
If nothing else, for someone who's lived in the Triangle for 16 years to be unable to spell "Johnston County" seems pretty ignorant. And saying that Durham is "FULL of crime" is just preposterous, and suggests that you simply don't know what you're talking about on that subject, which is the definition of ignorance. But the rest of it appears to be mostly just differences of opinion, I guess.

Last edited by tompope; 09-03-2012 at 09:52 AM..

Old 09-03-2012, 09:42 AM

297 posts, read 740,692 times
Quote:
I have lived here for 16 years I should know what I am talking about.
Let's not turn this into a In Defense of Durham post - there are plenty of those and the OP and others lurking should have a good look at them before dismissing Durham based on your comments. If we were having drinks together right now, though, I would likely ask you where you've lived for 16 years to have such an opinion of Durham, and you would likely tell me North Raleigh, or Apex, or Cary, or some other place that's not Durham. Then I would nod knowingly, and we'd have some good natured arguing back and forth, then we'd go our separate ways, neither of us changed in our opinions, but hopefully both a bit more thoughtful about making sweeping generalizations about cities, towns, and people that we only hear about on the news.

By and large, Durham is a great city, with many lovely neighborhoods and some of the more diverse and interesting people you'll meet in the Triangle (outside of Chapel Hill/Carrboro). Downtown is a happening place. There are some fantastic restaurants (great place for a foodie). Based on the OP's description of what her family likes, I agree that SW Durham is the best fit if Durham is in consideration - the other sections of planned communities in Durham are probably not as close to the box stores and chains as the OP would like to be. It used to be that you drove to Raleigh to shop if you lived in SW Durham. That is no longer the case. Box stores and major chains abound. The Streets of Southpoint provide the higher end shops some prefer.

Otherwise, if you really want to go suburban heaven (especially where shopping's concerned), I've been impressed with the area in North Raleigh around the WRAL Soccer Fields. There's a ton of shopping nearby, and tidy looking, planned neighborhoods.

It sounds like you'll be making the move soon! Good luck with the house sale!

Old 09-03-2012, 10:01 AM

63 posts, read 137,127 times
Check out Mebane, Hillsborough (and other towns NW-West of Durham) and also Clayton (Johnston County) - look at Riverwood Community, Wendell, Knightdale (mostly Wake, but also Johnston Co. for part of Wendell) and of course, Wake Forest.
You may also want to check Creedmore.
Do more research on your own; and, good luck.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:01 AM

56 posts, read 95,898 times
u

Last edited by ok2tx2nj2nc; 09-03-2012 at 10:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary