Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 06:10 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,601,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
My first Guinness experience was in Ireland and that is when I found my favorite beer. The first time I had it stateside, I was thinking, "Is this the same stuff?" At that time, I was told to never, ever drink Guinness from a bottle, only cans were acceptable, which I found to be true. The newer bottles with the funny thing in them are a bit better, though.

After visiting the Guinness brewery during my second trip to Ireland, it was confirmed that they have to add extra preservatives to get it across the pond, thus giving it a less fresh and different flavor. Since I can't necessarily wait to go to Ireland to enjoy my favorite beverage, I have found that it helps to order Guinness only at places that pour a lot of it (good turnover of kegs), and it also helps to have it poured properly (should take about 7 minutes from the time you order to the time the set it in front of you, not just one long pull of the tap).
There are actually a few versions of Guinness stout. Most of what you see will be Guinness Draught. I've seen this one in cans and bottles at most grocery stores. There is also Guinness Extra Stout, and a Guinness Foreign Extra Stout. If I remember correctly, the Draught version weighs in at about 4% alcohol by volume. Extra Stout is about 5%, and Foreign Extra Stout is about 7 or 8%. Foreign Extra is mainly available in the Carribean and Africa, but you can find it here too.

The "funny thing" in the Guinness bottles and cans is actually a little capsule full of a mixture of Nitrogen and Carbon Dioxide gas. That's what gives Guinness its trademark creamy head. I also love the way the bubbles seem to cascade down the side of the glass like a waterfall. When you order it in a bar, it should also be served through a special draft system capable of delivering this Nitrogen/Carbon Dioxide mix. Good point about freshness miamiblue. It's best to order Guinness, or any other beer for that matter, at a place which has a good keg turnover. Nothing worse than ordering a beer that is not very popular and getting just a glass of stale beer that was sitting in the draft lines overnight.

Let's see. . . what else. . . . it is said that Guinness is brewed with a percentage of intentionally soured beer to give it a bit of a "tang". Not sure if that is still done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 06:37 PM

406 posts, read 787,831 times
Question Canadian Beer?

How about Canadian Beer? Labatts or Molson I'm coming fom Detroit (thats almost Canada when it comes to beer)

Old 10-05-2007, 07:27 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjsluvskaz View Post
How about Canadian Beer? Labatts or Molson I'm coming fom Detroit (thats almost Canada when it comes to beer)
Oh yeah, you can find Molson and Labatts here no problem. I have even seen Labatts on specail for $2 at a few local sports bars like the Carolina Ale House.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:49 PM

997 posts, read 4,644,836 times
Default Beer Meet-Up

Maybe this time around we should have a City-Data Beer Meet-Up considering the overwhelming amount of responses...

Old 10-05-2007, 11:40 PM

460 posts, read 2,422,001 times
If we have a beer meet up lets do it at a hotel because I am not driving LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary