Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 12:07 PM

18 posts, read 37,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
I'm not a doctor but getting ready to deliver in December so have been doing a lot of research myself.

Keep in mind that not all doctors are out there just to get you in and out as quickly as possible. Sure there's some of them out there but I don't feel like they are the norm. One of the saddest stories I ever heard was my aunt telling me about when she was getting ready to deliver my cousin out in Berkeley. In her birthing class there were a lot of women that were super militant about "I will never get a c-section! I will never get an epidural!" etc. Well one of them women went into labor and partway through the baby started showing signs of distress. She absolutely flat out refused to have a c-section done, swearing up and down the doctor was just trying to take the "easy way" out, and her baby ended up dying and she almost died herself.
That's very sad. I read a story about a woman who gave birth to twins at home and the 2nd one almost died. So I agree it's best to go to the hospital and take medical intervention if necessary, but I also think that there are a lot of stories where medical intervention was unnecessary and even harmful. So I am for medical intervention when clearly necessary and justified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 12:37 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
I think you need a dr you trust and let them decide..Their priority will be healthy mom & babies..
If that means C Section then I would rather not risk my babies well being.

The trouble with you insisting while labor is going on is that you are not medically trained..
It would be like watching & supervising a surgery..

Just find a Dr you trust and talk with them about you prefering normal delivery unless the babies health or yours are at risk..Then you need to have faith in them..

I had to have 2 c sections and after they are in your arms safe & healthy you really don't care how they
got here. Also C Section doesn't mean you can't have other babies...

Old 09-06-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I think you need a dr you trust and let them decide..Their priority will be healthy mom & babies..
If that means C Section then I would rather not risk my babies well being.

The trouble with you insisting while labor is going on is that you are not medically trained..
It would be like watching & supervising a surgery..

Just find a Dr you trust and talk with them about you prefering normal delivery unless the babies health or yours are at risk..Then you need to have faith in them..

I had to have 2 c sections and after they are in your arms safe & healthy you really don't care how they
got here. Also C Section doesn't mean you can't have other babies...
The problem is a lot of drs are saying they would recommend a c-section before even knowing the babies positions, etc. At this point it is all hypothetical because I am only a couple months pregnant. I am looking for a dr that would deliver vaginally IF POSSIBLE. This does not mean I would refuse a c-section if it was medically necessary. However, I do not want to put myself in the hands of a dr who is saying do a c-section this early in the game just based on the fact that there are two of them.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:19 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,154,062 times
Have you considered going with a midwife rather than an ob? I've heard good things about this practice: Midwifery at Women's Health Alliance

Old 09-06-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Have you considered going with a midwife rather than an ob? I've heard good things about this practice: Midwifery at Women's Health Alliance
I think they are the midwives associated with Chapel Hill ob/gyn. Unfortunately, CH OB/GYN is telling me I can't have a midwife because I am carrying twins. They are telling me it has to be a dr every time, even for my prenatal care. However, I found another practice called Triangle OB/GYN that appears to have a lot of midwives as well. They have a "meet and greet" that I'm thinking about going to.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:45 PM

399 posts, read 700,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Actually, she would want high risk pregnancy management.

Working toward the Best Possible Pregnancy Outcome - Perinatal Care - DukeHealth.org

Old 09-06-2012, 04:53 PM

24 posts, read 127,630 times
My sister-in-law just delivered monoamniotic twins with Kamm Mckenzie. She went to the practice because they are one of the larger practices in Raleigh and therefore have dealt with monoamniotic twins before. She had a very positive experience with them. She was on bedrest at Wakemed Raleigh for eight weeks and has nothing but good things to say about them.
I, myself, have delivered two out of three of my children at Wakemed Raleigh through Kamm Mckenzie and had an amazing experience. In fact, I wish I had delivered my first child there!
For you, I think the most important thing is to consider which hospital is closest to you in case of an emergency. If you are in Durham, then Duke makes sense. If you are in Raleigh, then Wakemed Raleigh makes sense (Duke and Wakemed Raleigh have higher level NICUs than REX and UNC, I believe).

Old 09-06-2012, 05:56 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,423,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabella View Post
Actually, she would want high risk pregnancy management.

Working toward the Best Possible Pregnancy Outcome - Perinatal Care - DukeHealth.org
For prenatal care - yes, above is correct.
The link I provided is for perinatal/neonantal care - in the event this is necessary.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilitemoon View Post
My sister-in-law just delivered monoamniotic twins with Kamm Mckenzie. She went to the practice because they are one of the larger practices in Raleigh and therefore have dealt with monoamniotic twins before. She had a very positive experience with them. She was on bedrest at Wakemed Raleigh for eight weeks and has nothing but good things to say about them.
I, myself, have delivered two out of three of my children at Wakemed Raleigh through Kamm Mckenzie and had an amazing experience. In fact, I wish I had delivered my first child there!
For you, I think the most important thing is to consider which hospital is closest to you in case of an emergency. If you are in Durham, then Duke makes sense. If you are in Raleigh, then Wakemed Raleigh makes sense (Duke and Wakemed Raleigh have higher level NICUs than REX and UNC, I believe).
I'm closer to WakeMed in Raleigh, but my husband heard bad things about it at work. Duke Perinatal Durham looks bad (half of the MFM doctors are men, I prefer a female doctor, and you can't choose which doctor will deliver your babies). I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:36 AM

906 posts, read 2,381,852 times
I posted earlier in this thread and my doc sounds like she would be a good fit for you. She got married so her name is now Elizabeth Motyka and she practices out of Chapel Hill. She encouraged me to try a VBAC with my second, but I preferred to do another Csection. She respected my decision and didn't push me about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary