Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 12:03 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,919,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by douknownam View Post
Are you saying this because vinyl siding cannot/shouldn't be painted? My house is looking pretty shabby and probably could either use new siding or paint, but I've heard mixed opinions about painting siding (new siding sounds pretty expensive). However, I'm pretty sure some of my neighbors have recently had their vinyl siding painted and it looks pretty good to me.
My understanding and admittedly limited experience with vinyl siding indicates that it comes pre-made in whatever color and you don't paint it but rather clean it. Perhaps there are some that can be painted, or any that can be painted, but I thought the whole point of vinyl was no maintenance or paint other than a pressure wash once in a while?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 03:53 PM

843 posts, read 2,099,721 times
You CAN paint vinyl or aluminum siding, you just have to prep it right and use the correct paint.

I've done it, and it looks great.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmickey View Post
You CAN paint vinyl or aluminum siding, you just have to prep it right and use the correct paint.

I've done it, and it looks great.
Sure, I get that, but isn't the whole point of vinyl to be virtually maintenance free? If you have to paint it, why bother?

Old 09-06-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
Sure, I get that, but isn't the whole point of vinyl to be virtually maintenance free? If you have to paint it, why bother?
Some people just want to change the color of their house. Some Builders used cheap vinyl siding (builders taking shortcuts!! NO WAY!! never happens!!) that fades badly over time. I know if and when I wash my vinyl, an oxidized layer of the finish comes off. Looks like I am washing milk off the siding. It is a completely different color than it was 25 years ago when it was installed. I havent painted mine....but it needs it!

Up north, ALOT of homes have aluminum siding put on in the 60's and 70's. The color also washs off over time, the sun fades, acid rain, ect ect. So you can reside your whole house or paint it.

I painted a house with vinyl that was 2 years old. People buying the house hated the color but loved every other thing about the house. They thought they would paint now and further down the road get rid of the crappy vinyl and put on some nice Hardiplank.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Some people just want to change the color of their house. Some Builders used cheap vinyl siding (builders taking shortcuts!! NO WAY!! never happens!!) that fades badly over time. I know if and when I wash my vinyl, an oxidized layer of the finish comes off. Looks like I am washing milk off the siding. It is a completely different color than it was 25 years ago when it was installed. I havent painted mine....but it needs it!

Up north, ALOT of homes have aluminum siding put on in the 60's and 70's. The color also washs off over time, the sun fades, acid rain, ect ect. So you can reside your whole house or paint it.

I painted a house with vinyl that was 2 years old. People buying the house hated the color but loved every other thing about the house. They thought they would paint now and further down the road get rid of the crappy vinyl and put on some nice Hardiplank.
Right, I know, it just seems that it almost defeats the purpose of having a low-maintenance, no care structure to end up painting it. I feel the same way when I see a brick house having been painted.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
Right, I know, it just seems that it almost defeats the purpose of having a low-maintenance, no care structure to end up painting it. I feel the same way when I see a brick house having been painted.
I didnt say it was smart! LOL! You will always have to paint it once you go that route. Its usually just the cheaper alternative when siding is getting old. Paint it or replace it.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:
I didnt say it was smart! LOL! You will always have to paint it once you go that route. Its usually just the cheaper alternative when siding is getting old. Paint it or replace it.
It makes sense if the siding is old/worn or you want to change the color. I wasn't trying to give you a hard time though!

Old 09-07-2012, 06:51 AM

735 posts, read 1,583,899 times
I'd like to know where you'll find these prices when looking to have your house painted.

My house is 100% brick minus the eaves, garage doors, window shutters, and gutters. The lowest quote I got to paint the eaves, shutters, garage doors, and doors was $3000. I'd guess 220ish linear ft of eaves, maybe 12 shutters, 3 doors, and 2 garage doors. My neighbor went ahead and hired the guy with the $3000 quote and it took him just a few days to power wash and paint.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:42 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
After painting houses as a kid I tell you what, I will never ever have a house that doesn't have vinyl siding on it again.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
After painting houses as a kid I tell you what, I will never ever have a house that doesn't have vinyl siding on it again.
What's wrong w/brick?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary