Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 05:21 PM

546 posts, read 1,678,274 times

Advertisements

Hey folks, my family is relocating to the triangle area in a few weeks from freezing cold Massachusetts. One of the larger reasons we looked to move to NC is due to the weather. I'm pretty much sick of being stuck indoors with two young ones from Nov to April with such cold temps. It's not the snow I mind, it's the fact you cant even go build a snowman due to -20 degree temps stretching for weeks at a time. And having a mobile baby and 5 yr old stuck indoors with no end in sight drives the whole family batty

I've heard the average temp in the winter is 40. Is this true? When does the winter season tend to start? The temps start to get chilly? When does it start to warm up again towards to 60s? Will I need to pack my thermal undies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 05:29 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
40-50 is probably about right. It gets colder than that at night, often warmer than that during the day. Winter doesn't really start until end of November. It should start "cooling off" a bit here in the next few weeks with temps in the 60's-70's during the day and cooler at night. It starts warming back up again in mid-late March. The weather can be really weird here and somewhat unpredictable. It can be 40 one day and 70 the next. Most natives I know are addicted to the weather channel .

Old 10-05-2007, 05:37 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,779,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaven View Post
I've heard the average temp in the winter is 40. Is this true? When does the winter season tend to start? The temps start to get chilly? When does it start to warm up again towards to 60s? Will I need to pack my thermal undies?
Rhaven, we relocated from sunny southern California one year ago. So, we've only had one winter experience. However, we managed very well.

I counted only two days that had snow. One that melted later in the day, the other within a few hours. And the snow only left a light blanket, not the ice and drifts I was expecting. Very easy to drive and manage (although, people kept warning me about the ice storms from several years back, so I was expecting the worst). Certainly, every year has it's own issues.

As for weather, I'm a shorts and tank top sort of guy, when I can take that opportunity. There was some points during December and January when I thought running around outside was too much to be lightly dressed. But, we ran into temperatures in the twenties, for sure. I think there were a few days in the teens. However, it was definitely cold at times, and a few months beginning in late November where our gas bills were higher than I've ever seen (mind you, we're from sunny California, so high could be average around here).

Definitely, the first quarter of the year, we were using the heater a lot. But the cold did not paralyze me a bit. Now that I have a little perspective, I like the colder months. There's less bugs and it's easier to sleep. And snuggling is much more enjoyable as well.

From what I've heard, however, that being down here weather-wise, since you are from the north, you should be able to manage well. It should be easier. But, without a doubt, there will be cold days. It really depends on your threshold for cold. I'm sure it can't be as harsh as it is up where you are now.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:43 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
I can tell you for sure, it doesn't go down to -20!!!!!!

Old 10-05-2007, 05:45 PM

1,040 posts, read 3,601,450 times
I golfed last year in December... In shorts! How crazy is that?!?!

Welcome to the Triangle! You will love it here...

Old 10-05-2007, 05:47 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,831 times
I wear shorts 9 months a year and sandals probably 8.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:07 PM

850 posts, read 3,624,898 times
Oh my gosh do I NOT miss the ice cold and snow piled 3 feet high....we're from NJ.

I just LOVE the weather here. Honestly, for me, it really wasn't COLD (with the exception of a couple days long cold spells...which happens everywhere) until the month of February. To me, in NC.....that is winter....February.

We've only been through one winter (2 summers) but am loving it. Plus the summers are really no different than back in NJ...it gets just as hot there. I was a bit prepared for some SC summer weather (my father lives in Myrtle Beach) but nope...it was milder than SC. Though in August, I must say that the kids didn't want to be outside much unless I had the sprinkler on (which we didn't due to the water restrictions this year) or we were at the pool.

Lauren

Old 10-05-2007, 07:03 PM

546 posts, read 1,678,274 times
Thank you all for your input. I really appreciate it. I can handle days of cold temps. I'm a born and bred new Englander. However, it's the weeks upon weeks of frigid cold not even couting the windchill factor that kill me. And the fact you're bundling up from October to April in 3 layes of clothing

Where I live now we have absolutely no AC, so even if the summer was hotter, it will be easier to handle down there. NC has central ac like we have heaters here lol. But you have all revalidated our choice of moving down. My husband is on a plane as I write, going to find us a place to live 3 weeks from now, and I just can not wait to join you all!

Thanks again!

Heloooo NC, goodbyyyye frigid temps!!!

Old 10-05-2007, 07:17 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,445,190 times
What winter?

I hardly wear anything but a sweater or a sweatshirt, and jeans. It isn't even cold enough at Christmas to put on my tacky holiday sweater, usually.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:25 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,676,988 times
The winters are not bad, it's the summers that are horrible. If I had to choose, it'd be the A/C over the furnace any day. The winters are not too bad, maybe in the 40s or so and rarely in the 30s. It snows once every couple years and the snow never sticks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary