Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 06:05 PM

70 posts, read 126,304 times

Advertisements

also...NC sounds beautiful and I love that it is 2 hrs from a beautiful beach which we love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 06:56 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
You can't think in terms of number of people. You have to think of a number of people vs number of jobs ratio.

Admin and restaurant work is harder in some ways because there are far more people qualified for those jobs. I guess it depends on how qualified you are vs all the other applicants.

And Austin is hardly a country music city. Austin has a very diverse scene. Very.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:25 AM

19 posts, read 33,513 times
To compare living costs try using this calculator:

Cost of Living comparison calculator

I can't find the one that compares home ownership costs versus renting costs, but this one lists cost disparities among a lot of things. I would not take this data as gospel truth. There are many variables unique to you that this calculator doesn't consider. You'll need to consider your debts which are not included.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:24 AM

Hi all!

My hubby and I visited Raleigh this past weekend and truly liked it! We rented a car and even though ppl say Raleigh is spread out...it still felt kinda compact. Like it doesnt seem too long to get downtown from parts of N.Raleigh. (like Brier Creek and Crabtree Valley Mall area) And I understand about the buses..lol...we saw quite a few bus stops but no buses..lol..People were very friendly and laid back compared to NYC. No offense to NYC ppl...but it was my first impression and as soon as we got back to Penn Station in NYC yesterday..I was like "oh man...too too many ppl!" lol...it just seemed calmer which we really liked. And we loved Fayetteville St downtown..so clean and cool vibe. It seems like you have a nice balance of quiet burbs with many of the big chain stores and restaurants AND still have your nightlife and arts/culture. And I was impressed by the diversity

Old 10-02-2012, 10:13 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
I wish I'd know you were visiting--would have suggested Sadlack's sandwich shop as a place to hang out for the local music scene (they have a "stage" where people play) or Kings downtown.

Glad you find the city to your liking, but as mah_whatever says, you can't simply presume that fewer people = less competition for jobs, because it also = fewer jobs in the first place. This area actually has experience a large glut of jobseekers moving here compared to the number of jobs there've been (everybody heard the rumors, which are a few years out of date, about this being such a hot job market--it's more "lukewarm" now...but they keep on coming and coming and coming and coming...all convinced they will snap up a job immediately). Hope your field is one of the ones with better odds!

Old 10-02-2012, 12:30 PM

147 posts, read 370,204 times
I am also moving from NYC to the triangle. Your rent will decrease, but so will your salary. the peole that come out ahead are those who can maintain that same income-- by telecommuting or by finding the rare job that pays comparably or retirees or pensioners who have a fixed income. We are moving to Cary and a car is a must. we already ahve one but anticipate needing two. if the both of you will work outside of the hime than I think that is something you must consider. the public trnasportation in NC is NOTHING AT ALL like what we have in NYC. you cannot depend on it like the MTA to get you quickly to owrk or home or to another neighborhood for an activity. my friend who is from Raleigh and then moved to NYC (and then moved back to Raleigh) could not iterate that enough and she is 100% correct.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:08 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
I think Jsciusco is spot on about needing a car in Raleigh. You could get away w/o one in Chapel Hill/Carrboro, though. I know several people who don't have one. The buses are very dependable here.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:43 PM

Thanks guys...I understand the job thing but it wont stop us from trying Besides...we arent gonna move without having something..that would be crazy for any city unless you got some major savings. I looked and saw many admin jobs that actually pay the same or more that I am making here. Plus I worked in NYC through a temp agency and know you have them in Raleigh. They are great cause they help you get your foot in the door. So I would prob try that. I know I can get great references letters from here. Our income is not so hot not and if our rent was almost cut in half...which we know it could be...we would benefit even including car insurance Im pretty sure...I did want to ask you guys...what is a typical electric bill like in the hot months when the AC is always being used? (for a 1 bed apt) Thanks!

Old 10-02-2012, 06:55 PM

also...2 more questions I know I will have to research on my own...but...
1. If you don't have medical insurance right away through your job..do you have "free" or sliding scale clinics like here? Or do you have affordable health insurance? up here it is soooo expensive
2. someone mentioned telecommuter jobs...do many ppl do that? If so...what types of jobs are these that you can do from home?

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary