Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 07:01 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,154,062 times

Advertisements

Honestly I think the satellite radio can be just as bad. My dad has Sirius in his car and they play the same junk over and over a lot of the stations here play. I'd rather just listen to my mp3 player at that rate. But the real reason I listen to local radio in my car is for the traffic reports and local news. Since they got rid of 96 Rock I usually listen to 101.5 in the mornings until I get the traffic report and news, then switch over to NPR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 07:06 AM

842 posts, read 2,587,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I did XM for 8 years, but with smartphones, bluetooth and Pandora, it just doesn't make sense anymore. I finally ditched XM about a year ago and don't miss having to pay for radio.
Not the same thing entirely. There are programs on XM that you will not get for free online, and Pandora only gives music instead of a more structured and balanced line up like talk radio/comedy/sports/etc. I too use Pandora but it is also limited to a set number of hours free per month, and if you exceed the free hours you will have to pay.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:13 AM

843 posts, read 2,100,484 times
I like a good morning show. Used to like Howard Stern when I lived up north. Had satellite for years and was a big Opie and Anthony fan. XM was so much better music wise than Sirius so I dropped when they combined.
I liked Brad and Britt on 101.1 when it was talk.... that station had a great line up. Now all the Triangle has is right wing hate radio and crappy music. Bob and the showgram jumped the shark when Madison left....

Now I just listen to other cities stations on the iphone.

Radio in the Triangle is terrible.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:53 AM

735 posts, read 1,584,442 times
I'm a right wing jerk (as was told by Obama door to door sales people yesterday) and loved Brad and Britt in the morning and really enjoyed Alan Handelman on the way home. I pretty much stopped listening to the radio after they moved to AM due to the constant interruption for "traffic and news".

I now listen to Bill and Linda for something easy to listen to.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:05 AM

lol, well what did you say to the people at your door to be labeled a jerk to your face? Back when I had to do political canvassing we usually only called someone a jerk in private and only if they were belligerent or rude to us

Old 09-17-2012, 08:19 AM

735 posts, read 1,584,442 times
Well, slightly off topic, but I told them the only topic of interest to me about Obama was his 2012 unemployment and also I refused to let them talk to my collage age daughter about the topic. As I shut the door on them- the gentler, kinder, one spouted off about right wing jerks, ect. Even though Brad, Britt, and I do not agree on politics, I sure did enjoy the morning show.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:04 AM

hmm well in the future I would just simply say, "We're not interested, good day," and close the door. If they try to push it beyond that, get their names and call the campaign office they're working for to complain because they're supposed to immediately back off once you basically say, "No thanks." Another way to avoid the issue altogether is put up a sign for the candidate you're supporting. We would train that if the house has a sign up for the opposing candidate to just keep on walking because otherwise it's rude to canvass them for a candidate they're obviously not supporting. But there's really no point in being snarky with canvassers. They're just people like anybody else

Old 09-17-2012, 01:58 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,897,872 times
Dependign on wher you are at in the Triangle you can get the Ace & TJ show in the morning which is all talk and the most friendly family morning show I've ever heard. They won't even say "sex" on the air, they say "playing the piano" instead. They are syndicated, but based out of Charlotte, though originally from Louisiana. They can be heard on 93.3. Will agree that he radio in Raleigh is pretty much the worst in the state, to my knowledge. Though my knowledge is pretty much limited to I-85 and eastward.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:24 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,180,822 times
I truly miss "Brad and Britt", and the whole 101.1 radio station. For some reason, I haven't been successful downloading their podcasts to my iPhone. I hear Charlotte is a TOTALLY different market, and that they aren't faring as well.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:58 PM

15 posts, read 28,579 times
I kind of miss the old 96 rock. It had it's faults, a little heavy on the classic rock side, but it was about the only decent station around.

Now, it's just lame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary