Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 08:26 PM
Tap

2 posts, read 6,411 times

Advertisements

Thanks ncbound123...I wonder if it has to do with the poor roads leading in from Durham and the rest of the Triangle? Hope someone out there has some insights...

Tap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 03:05 PM

189 posts, read 753,533 times
Does anyone have an answer to this question? I'm curious about Treyburn, but my husband will be working in the southernmost tip of the RTP. If the roads are bad the commute might not be great either.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:49 AM

229 posts, read 1,053,917 times
Treyburn was actually one of the top selling(#17) new construction neighborhoods in Durham County in 2006. There were 27 closings with an average price of $517,759. It was actually the highest priced of the top selling neighborhoods.

From a resale perspective there were 19 closings in 2006 with an average sales price of $407,426 and built in the 1996 timeframe. That said, it was still the 11th fastest selling neighborhood in Durham County.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:44 AM

133 posts, read 710,816 times
I can't believe I didn't come across this thread before. Treyburn and Croasdaile are two areas in Durham that's always been at the top of my list (along w/ Grandale, American village, etc. in SW Durham). But I haven't read much about it. It looks like it's very far removed from the Downtown area, so the feel of the neighborhood is likely very different.
Anyone w/ input on the area? Developments, commute/roads, schools, etc.? Do you have to join the the Country Club? Is it bundled into the price of new homes?

Old 03-27-2007, 05:25 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi2nc View Post
I can't believe I didn't come across this thread before. Treyburn and Croasdaile are two areas in Durham that's always been at the top of my list (along w/ Grandale, American village, etc. in SW Durham). But I haven't read much about it. It looks like it's very far removed from the Downtown area, so the feel of the neighborhood is likely very different.
Anyone w/ input on the area? Developments, commute/roads, schools, etc.? Do you have to join the the Country Club? Is it bundled into the price of new homes?
Croasdaile and Treyburn are both definitely worth a look. Croasdaile is significantly easier from the commute perspective than Treyburn (which is a decade or more away from being better connected to RTP), but Treyburn has a much nicer golf course/country club.

I would not put American Village anywhere on the same page as these two. AV has mostly mid-priced homes that are attractive to Duke staff and grad/professional students (unless there are new neighborhoods there I haven't seen, which is possible.)

If you're looking at Croasdaile but end up wanting something smaller, check out Hillandale Commons just down the street from C.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:54 AM

250 posts, read 1,245,634 times
Ok, I'll throw in my two cents. These are in Cary.

Westpark (Highhouse Road and 55)--I like the feel of this neighborhood. It truly feels park-like. This is a resale community, with houses (2,000-3,000 sq. ft.) that are not as large as some of the new home communities, but the lots are a decent size (.25 acres and up). There are walking trails, a small pond, but no sidewalks. The community also has a couple of tennis courts. Price are in the high 200's to low 400's.

Highcroft (Off the Green Hope School Road, N of High House, W of 55)--like this neighborhood (in fact live there) because it is a realtively small development of about 300 single family homes with sidewalks on both sides of the street throughout. There is school within the neighborhood and noe major roads crossing through the neighborhood. There are walking trails that link the neighbhood to the school and to the abutting Sears Farm Park (a great park for children). Eventually there will be a walking trail to connect the neighborhood with Thomas Brooks Park (a four field baseball complex) and the Tobacco Trail (a converted rail trail that will run from southern Wake County, through parts of Chatham County and up to Durham near the Durham Bulls Athletic Park). Some new homes are still available, but construction should be completed by the end of this year or early next year. Resales have begun to pop up. Homes on the smaller lots (.14-.22 acres) range from 2,400 sq. ft. up to 4,000 sq. ft. and cost in the 400's. Homes on the larger lots range from 3,000 sq. ft. to 6,500 sq. ft. and cost from mid 500's to 900's. Finally, I like the contours of the land, such that you don't see a straigth line of houses running down the length of the street. Lastly, the mix of houses of relatively good, so you don't see the same plans again and again throughout the neighborhood. Dur ot the typography there are some basement lots here. A couple of caveats--Highcroft is relatively near the proposed 540 expressway. It is also is the air traffic pattern, so airport noise is present, though not as bad as Carpenter Village or other neigborhoods closer to the airport.

The neighborhoods around Bond Park (e.g., Oxxford Hunt, Saratoga, Muir Woods, Castlebrook). These neighborhoods have walking access to Bond Park and its many recreational resources. B/c they are older homes, they have slightly larger lots and lower price tags. Many of these neighborhoods do not sidewalks, but have mature landscapes which make for a very residential feel. Homes range from 1,500 sq. ft. to 3,000+ sq. ft. with prices from low $200's to high $300's. Some of these neighborhoods also have walking access to the Cary YMCA--with wonderful recreational amenities (including an outdoor pool that is transformed into an indoor pool with a bubble for year round use).

There are so many more! If you'd like to hear additional ones, let me know and I'll share further thoughts.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:07 AM

271 posts, read 1,213,152 times
In Raleigh: Hunting Ridge, Harps Mill, the older section of town near the Raleigh Country Club, Hidden Valley and Swift Creek.

Wake Forest: Stone Gate

Old 03-27-2007, 11:32 AM

229 posts, read 1,053,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi2nc View Post
In response to your question:
Developments, commute/roads-It's a straight shot about 20 minutes North of durham. 30 minutes to RTP. The roads are a little conjested in town but four lanes once you leave the northmost tip of town.
It's true it's outside of town but it definitely has the Luxury Home feel to the neighborhood.
Schools:
Schools are a bit more challenging. A lot of the families in Treyburn send their children to private schools.

Country Club. The membership fee is not bundled into the price of new homes. They have three levels of membership:
1. Golf. $15000 Membership fee if one payment, $16,000 if two payments. Monthly fee $500
2. Sport. $4,500 Includes tennis, fitness, social, and driving range. Monthly fee: $200
3. Clubhouse. $2,500 Includes social membership, dining, swimming, fitness. Monthly fee: $150.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:50 PM

21 posts, read 60,629 times
[quote=RaleighRob;106365]Durham:
Trinity Park, Brightleaf, Downtown, Old West Durham, Ninth Street, Northgate, Watts-Hillandale, Walltown, Morehead Hill, Old North Durham, Duke Forest.QUOTE]

Are these actual subdivisions or areas that have acquired these names over the years?

Old 03-27-2007, 02:04 PM

133 posts, read 710,816 times
Thumbs up Thanks Tracy!

Awesome info. I didn't think the commute from that area to Downtown or RTP would be that long. It didn't look that far using Google map. That's the beauty of having local knowledge. The sattelites can't tell you about road conditions and traffic.

We'll be visiting the areas mentioined in this thread and will be sure to share our "findings". Maybe I can return the favor to those considering relocating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy_Santrock View Post
In response to your question:
Developments, commute/roads-It's a straight shot about 20 minutes North of durham. 30 minutes to RTP. The roads are a little conjested in town but four lanes once you leave the northmost tip of town.
It's true it's outside of town but it definitely has the Luxury Home feel to the neighborhood.
Schools:
Schools are a bit more challenging. A lot of the families in Treyburn send their children to private schools.

Country Club. The membership fee is not bundled into the price of new homes. They have three levels of membership:
1. Golf. $15000 Membership fee if one payment, $16,000 if two payments. Monthly fee $500
2. Sport. $4,500 Includes tennis, fitness, social, and driving range. Monthly fee: $200
3. Clubhouse. $2,500 Includes social membership, dining, swimming, fitness. Monthly fee: $150.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary