Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 09:55 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
This is ridiculous! (not you, but anyone who thinks that). My daughter is a high scorer on standardized tests and I can assure everyone that the teaching and resources there are the same as Davis Drive..
I totally agree with you. I don't know why people want to jam their kids into these schools, bypassing perfectly good schools that are closer, it makes no sense to me. I do have to wonder how many are thinking it was a good idea at this point....will be interesting to see how many of them grandfather in next year if this next plan goes into affect. If I had a kindergartner or first grader I'd make the switch back to my base school. IMHO it's not worth the bother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 11:25 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Well, it currently takes almost half an hour to get home from a school that's 1.5 miles away, so therein lies part of the problem.

It is amusing, though, because I grew up where there are town-based school districts and there were kids in my town who lived a good 5 miles from the high school - no choice! And because you had to go through a busy downtown area it was a good 20 minute trip.
My kids rode the bus home, from middle school and high school. The schools were probably less than 2 miles from our home. Taking into account that the bus has many stops to drop off other students, it would take between 30 min. to 45 min. for my kids to get home. I could pick them up in less than 10 minutes, if I needed to.

So, any bus ride from the school to home is going to take longer due to having to drop other students off. The difference between a 2 mile distance to the school and a 6 mile distance to the school is just the way it is.

I came from a small town. We only had 1 high school. I usually walked home from school and it was about 3 miles. Some of my friends lived outside of town and rode the bus and sometimes it took an hour to get home, for them.

So, why are so many parents upset about the bus ride?

Vicki

Old 09-29-2012, 02:27 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
So, any bus ride from the school to home is going to take longer due to having to drop other students off.
Vicki
No, it isn't. Lat year our school dismissed at 2:15 and my kids were home, on the bus, with us being the last stop, by 2:28. That's 13 minutes from the time they leave their classroom to the time they get off the bus. Not unreasonable by any stretch of the imagination and faster than they got home in NY. IT IS RIDICULOUS how long some of these bus rides take. There are also state laws regulating how long kids can be on the bus, as well as Wake County laws which are stricter, and there are also laws regarding the planning of bus routes, but most of the parents down here would rather run to the media than do some research and bring it to the attention of the powers that be. As of right now, our buses are still in violation, because our elementary and middle school students ride together, but the E.S. students load 10 minutes before the M.S. kids do, then it takes another 10 minutes for the bus to even get out of the lot. The clock starts ticking as soon as the child is on the bus, pretty hard to get it within the law at that rate. But those of us who chose to take matters into our own hands had to pick which battle we wanted to fight regarding the bus and we got our mess resolved a lot more quickly than the people you see on t.v.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:43 PM

460 posts, read 1,017,873 times
When I have kids...I'll definitely be much more concerned about my individual child's tests scores than the schools tests scores. Of course I want them to be in a good environment and have good teachers, but I guess I can't say how I am able to do that and help in anyway until I have kids!!! I'm most worried about violence and other issues in the schools up here.

Is the curriculum for wake county good? Are there many extremely bias teachers that like to skew the way they teach based in their political beliefs etc?

I feel like its just a whole different world up here...at least that's kinda what I'm hoping. That there are still schools in the world that want to teach children, and give them a good, solid, well rounded education.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:54 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
No, it isn't. Lat year our school dismissed at 2:15 and my kids were home, on the bus, with us being the last stop, by 2:28. That's 13 minutes from the time they leave their classroom to the time they get off the bus. Not unreasonable by any stretch of the imagination and faster than they got home in NY. IT IS RIDICULOUS how long some of these bus rides take. There are also state laws regulating how long kids can be on the bus, as well as Wake County laws which are stricter, and there are also laws regarding the planning of bus routes, but most of the parents down here would rather run to the media than do some research and bring it to the attention of the powers that be. As of right now, our buses are still in violation, because our elementary and middle school students ride together, but the E.S. students load 10 minutes before the M.S. kids do, then it takes another 10 minutes for the bus to even get out of the lot. The clock starts ticking as soon as the child is on the bus, pretty hard to get it within the law at that rate. But those of us who chose to take matters into our own hands had to pick which battle we wanted to fight regarding the bus and we got our mess resolved a lot more quickly than the people you see on t.v.
So, are you saying that we need more buses instead of more schools? How long SHOULD it take the bus to get out of the parking lot? I'm not exactly sure what your point is.

Vicki

Old 09-29-2012, 07:01 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,962,783 times
Quote:
I think your memory is a bit fuzzy. I can maybe see thirteen minutes if you are the first stop. But the last? How many kids were on the bus, 2? Let's take a typical residential bus that carries 40 kids and makes 20 stops. If you assume 5 minutes to get the kids loaded and seated, and a minute for each stop, you are already at 25 minutes and that includes no driving time. It is perfectly reasonable for the last kids off a bus to be 45-60 min out.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:05 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
I think your memory is a bit fuzzy. I can maybe see thirteen minutes if you are the first stop. But the last? How many kids were on the bus, 2? Let's take a typical residential bus that carries 40 kids and makes 20 stops. If you assume 5 minutes to get the kids loaded and seated, and a minute for each stop, you are already at 25 minutes and that includes no driving time. It is perfectly reasonable for the last kids off a bus to be 45-60 min out.
That's the reason for neighborhood schools. I fully support them.

Unfortunately, the current WCPSS board leaders' reason for not busing is bigotry, not convenience and lowering expenses.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:11 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
So, why are so many parents upset about the bus ride?

Vicki
Because their children are special snowflakes that should have VIP express curbside service from their front door to the school.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:15 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasershen111 View Post
Is the curriculum for wake county good? Are there many extremely bias teachers that like to skew the way they teach based in their political beliefs etc?
Kind of hard to imagine how teaching shapes and algebra could be skewed by political beliefs Seriously though, in my years in the WCPSS I can't ever recall a teacher where you could tell which way they leaned in the political spectrum. Then again my family didn't get our panties in a bunch if we were taught evolution in biology, Biblical stories in classical literature, or the writings of all political philosophists, even the dirty commies, in civics so I guess it depends what your personal mindset is.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:08 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I think everyone recognizes that it is all tax money.
The difference revolves around which way is more likely to provide needed capital for infrastructure in a timely basis.
Whether saving up for it to pay cash via impact fees and taxes, or leveraging into the future while money is still cheap and amortizing via impact fees and taxes, it is all tax money.

Bipartisan arrogance and ineptitude and irresponsibility on the part of leadership reduces the likelihood of the public eagerly accepting either approach.
Part of the problem is this is such a transient area and school funding philosophy can vary from school district to school district nationwide. It involves so many personal values on fiscal and equity issues. On things like why pay for public schools when my go to private etc etc. It is an argument ingrained in doing things the way we have always done them and not being forward looking and realizing that brick and mortar schools are dinosaurs that we can no longer afford to create for multiple reasons. On line and off site instruction will eventually make major inroads but only after local and state budgets for education have gone belly up and school policy centerd around school issues are recognized to be financially unsustainable. By social issues I mean the role of socialization and raising kids when parents won't and don't. Just look at the out cry when schools are closed and the question becomes but how will the kids eat and suddenly you have a program disguised as something else which is really intended to feed kids. Yes the initial discussions about summer and other non school day programs often began with a question about feeding them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary