Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 11:38 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quilterchick View Post
let's say a person has even moderate to severe arthritis, and/or has had hip surgery, or back surgery. There is no way the doc will release them to the home (especally if they live alone), because they cannot safely get in or out of a bathtub. Even if there is a bath chair in there, the person has to maneuver to get in and out safely. And you don't have to be elderly to have a broken bone or serious surgery. It can happen at any age.

A very high percentage of "tub only" homes end up having at least one bath remodel job done for the above reason, very costly
. That is why builders are putting in both a tub and walk in shower in many homes (and not necessarily a garden tub, they take up too much room and are usually an option).

which is exactly why we did that in the house we are building.

i haven't seen a hospital or a rehab center that has tubs, have you?

umm, yes. Stroke patients, amputation patients, et al.

if you plan to be
without health problems, then hang out in the tub all you want. Walk in showers are a safety thing; and we are beating this subject to a faretheewell.
I don't want the tub at all - except for those many, many folks who still want one when I resell the house. Personally, I hate the things.

Now, I think I'll go take a shower and try to wash this thread out of my hair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 11:48 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,473,821 times
I would love to see this question set up as a poll. I personally haven't bathed in a tub for many years...too long to remember. However, when my kids are all old enough that I have time for luxuries like that I might really care about the tub being in the master.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:34 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I don't want the tub at all - except for those many, many folks who still want one when I resell the house. Personally, I hate the things.

Now, I think I'll go take a shower and try to wash this thread out of my hair.

Good for you JKG; but we're talking about what the general buying public wants when searching for another abode, it's nothing personal.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:46 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
WOW! 10 pages of opinions about bathtubs! Impressive!
If I loved a house and everything else was what I wanted, this would not be a deal breaker for us one way or the other. We could always choose to have something installed later.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:25 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Good for you JKG; but we're talking about what the general buying public wants when searching for another abode, it's nothing personal.
None taken, QuilterChick. Sorry if I sounded testy. Must be because I'm stuck in the temporary apartment waiting for that house to be built. (and this morning's fishing trip got rained out. )

Old 10-01-2012, 05:07 PM

838 posts, read 2,523,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
WOW! 10 pages of opinions about bathtubs! Impressive!
If I loved a house and everything else was what I wanted, this would not be a deal breaker for us one way or the other. We could always choose to have something installed later.
My sentiments exactly. If the only negative about a house I was looking to buy was a bathtub, it would not be a deal breaker.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:26 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,187,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
A large whirlpool tub is great for soaking away your aches and pains from beating a dead horse.
Funniest post in the whole thread. Off to soak...

Old 10-02-2012, 03:49 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
None taken, QuilterChick. Sorry if I sounded testy. Must be because I'm stuck in the temporary apartment waiting for that house to be built. (and this morning's fishing trip got rained out. )

Nothing worse than being stuck in a temp apt. when you have a beautiful home to look forward to! Wishing you the best, and many more fishing trips.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:39 PM

192 posts, read 312,777 times
So I just have to put my 2 cents in...During the summer I don't use the garden tub, but when winter rolls around, there is nothing better than a nice hot soak at least 1 evening a week!!! Hubby does complain about the small shower though and on occasion it'd be nice to have large enough shower for 2!

Old 10-04-2012, 06:50 PM

5 posts, read 21,379 times
[quote=lamishra;26331254]WOW! 10 pages of opinions about bathtubs! Impressive!quote]

For sure!

I had no idea my post would get this kind of discussion. LOVE IT!

Thank you, everyone, for your candid comments. We're waiting on the quote from the contractor and if it fits the budget, we're ripping the tub out.

We have quite a bit of space and even with a nicer and larger shower, the remainder of the space can be converted to storage and put to better use than a tub that sits there, collects dust and still needs to be cleaned.

I like a good soaking every once in a while, but it never happens here at home. Only when I'm traveling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary