Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 09:23 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
If I was house hunting today, and had a choice between two houses I liked equally,
one having a garden tub and the other having no tub but big, walk-in shower?
The walk-in shower would win every time.
I'd bet that 90% of buyers feel the same way.
The other 10% can take their baths 30 feet down the hall in the family bathroom that has a tub
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 09:49 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I'd bet that 90% of buyers feel the same way.
The other 10% can take their baths 30 feet down the hall in the family bathroom that has a tub
From just reading these posts, you can see that it is about 50% that want the tub in the master and 50% that would rather have a large shower.

Just a tub in the hall bathroom isn't the same as having a garden tub or a soaking tub in the master.

Maybe the best situation would be to have the large shower in the master with a garden tub in the hall but I haven't seen that.

If you look at some of the more expensive homes during the Parade of Homes, you'll see LARGE tubs in the master AND a nice tiled shower. Builders know to appeal to the majority of buyers.

Have I had buyers that won't buy a home because it doesn't have a large tub in the master. YES.

Vicki

Old 09-29-2012, 10:34 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
From just reading these posts, you can see that it is about 50% that want the tub in the master and 50% that would rather have a large shower.

Just a tub in the hall bathroom isn't the same as having a garden tub or a soaking tub in the master.

Maybe the best situation would be to have the large shower in the master with a garden tub in the hall but I haven't seen that.

If you look at some of the more expensive homes during the Parade of Homes, you'll see LARGE tubs in the master AND a nice tiled shower. Builders know to appeal to the majority of buyers.

Have I had buyers that won't buy a home because it doesn't have a large tub in the master. YES.

Vicki
Yup. Which is precisely what we are shopping for. Big tub. Big shower. Big bathroom in general. I hate a cramped bathroom with no storage.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:53 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
And this sort of explains what we decided to do in our still under construction home in a community geared to empty nesters. We left the garden tub in the master for resale purposes (we'll never use the thing), opted for a bathroom configuration that has a reasonable size separate shower WITH seat, and took out the tub shower combo in the hall bath, replacing it with a large shower. Ugraded the tile and countertops in both for a little luxury look.

As far as the glass doors, our showers always get a move in day gift of decent squigees!

Old 09-29-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
If you look at some of the more expensive homes during the Parade of Homes, you'll see LARGE tubs in the master AND a nice tiled shower.
Tubs that never actually get used.

Quote:
From just reading these posts, you can see that it is about 50% that want...
Do you think this is anything even remotely like polling?

I'll stick with my comments.
Very few people use tubs (overlarge or standard) even if they have them.

Why pay for something or have to clean something you don't use?

Old 09-29-2012, 02:46 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Tubs that never actually get used.

Do you think this is anything even remotely like polling?

I'll stick with my comments.
Very few people use tubs (overlarge or standard) even if they have them.

Why pay for something or have to clean something you don't use?
We use tubs. I have plenty of friends who use tubs.

I can see why someone might not care. Why can't you see why someone might care?

That puzzles me.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:14 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,308,348 times
MrRational, I don't think anyone is trying to change your mind about tubs. Some people like them, some don't. It's not a big deal, really.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:22 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Years ago DH and I looked at a house that had a Roman bath. It looked sort of like this, except a 1960s version (faux red brick)

Google Image Result for http://oak-shadows.com/interior/OS%20MBB2%2022399%20RS.jpg

It also had no ledge, and there was no door to the area or other bathroom accoutrements (like a toilet. Or a sink.)

You walked into the master BR, and on the right side of the room, the floor was tiled, and led to this tub....again, no ledge, you just stepped right down into it. It was the most bizarre thing I'd ever seen. Had twin 2.5 year olds and another on the way and that was pretty much it for that house!

Old 09-29-2012, 04:39 PM

Going back to the original post and question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafox View Post
We will be ripping out our shower in order to repair a leak and of course will need to put another back in.
Our contractor suggested that we remove the garden tub and replace the whole thing with a larger shower.

He advised that his clients have been taking out their garden tubs and replacing with higher-end showers.
While we like the idea, I'm consider the future and resale of this house.
I like the idea too.
I wouldn't suggest removing a fixture just for the sake of it, but in this instance I do agree with him.

Quote:
We have a second bathroom that has a standard tub which we will be keeping.
Will potential buyers shy away from a home that doesn't have a tub in the master bath?
No, I really don't think so.
Certainly no t if there's another tub right down the hall.
---

My observation is that their largest role is as a sales tool to promote an image of luxury for what the new home might be for the new owner. An ultimately false image as most people who do have tubs (overlarge or regular) won't use them for daily hygiene and very few have the time to indulge in that luxurious soak on any sort of regular basis... if at all.

hth

Old 09-29-2012, 04:52 PM

843 posts, read 2,100,794 times
As someone who has painted many master baths, about 90% of people with big tubs in the master never use them. They have nice nick knacks, candles and designer soaps or such. But thats all it is. A focal point. I always ask if they like their tub...almost all of them say they do, but never use it because it empties the hot water heater and the water gets cold too fast. The other reason is the pain in the ass to clean. I saw one lady who had plants in hers. Easy watering and and big picture window right in front of it for the sun.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary