Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 08:56 PM

550 posts, read 1,482,369 times

Advertisements

Lots of things can cause your house to catch fire. If attic fans were the danger people are making them out to be, half the houses in Raleigh would have burned down by now.

I have two attic fans on my house. I guess I live on the edge...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 09:01 PM

542 posts, read 1,521,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starla View Post
Lots of things can cause your house to catch fire. If attic fans were the danger people are making them out to be, half the houses in Raleigh would have burned down by now.

I don't think anyone is saying that the main concern with attic fans is their safety, but it is one of the many good reasons not to have one.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:16 PM

4,000 posts, read 10,816,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starla View Post

I would be more concerned with pulling TWICE the conditioned air into the attic then.

Old 06-14-2008, 05:30 PM

578 posts, read 3,076,848 times
The fact is ideally your attic would be the exact same temperature of the air outside. Ridge soffit vents don't provide that, there's simply not enough air flow via normal convection to negate the radiant heat transferred. And it has nothing to do with being in NC as I had the same thing in NY and in the summer the attic would get sweltering hot. I personally blame ashphalt shingles from soaking up the heat and re-radiating it. But that's my uneducated guess.

I'd bet a $100 that a radiant barrier would provide way more heat protection than ridge/soffit vents, attic fans, or any other thing. Again, just my uneducated guess.

Old 06-14-2008, 06:53 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 14 days ago)

43,157 posts, read 76,731,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastric View Post
The fact is ideally your attic would be the exact same temperature of the air outside. Ridge soffit vents don't provide that, there's simply not enough air flow via normal convection to negate the radiant heat transferred. And it has nothing to do with being in NC as I had the same thing in NY and in the summer the attic would get sweltering hot. I personally blame ashphalt shingles from soaking up the heat and re-radiating it. But that's my uneducated guess.

I'd bet a $100 that a radiant barrier would provide way more heat protection than ridge/soffit vents, attic fans, or any other thing. Again, just my uneducated guess.
You are quite right.
Ridge vents move air through convection. Warm air out at the ridge, with replacement air in at the soffits.
Ridge vents serve well to reduce moisture passively much better than cooling the attic.
Moisture reduction is an extremely valuable function, as anyone who has ever seen what excessive trapped moisture can do to plywood and lumber in an attic cavity will attest.

Ridge vents will not move enough air to cool asphalt shingles or framing members that absorb heat. Ergo, that heat will radiate, in all directions, including adding heat in the upstairs of the house.

That radiant barrier will reduce heat in the living area.
It may also shorten the life of fiberglass asphalt shingles as it re-directs heat back into them.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:05 AM

36 posts, read 153,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastric View Post

I agree. The basic idea is to keep the attic air the same temperature as the outside air... powered roof or gable mounted attic ventilation fans are necessary to accomplish this task on the hottest, sunniest days (unless you don't mind prematurely degrading your roof with a radiant barrier and losing beneficial heat gain in the Winter months... it's my opinion that radiant barriers provide the best return only on homes that use something more durable than asphalt shingles and in areas that don't have cold Winters). As long as all holes/penetrations between the attic space and top floor living space are sealed + any/all HVAC ductwork located in the attic is sealed, there will be no transfer or migration of conditioned air into the attic (these are both good things to do even if you don't have a powered attic ventilation fan). Issue solved, your home is comfortable, and you won't kill off AC compressors trying to keep your upstairs cool on hot, sunny Summer days. Adequate airflow across the attic space is necessary for these powered ventilation fans to work properly so it's important to install fans in the correct location and open up airflow within the attic, especially if the attic contains finished living space.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:19 AM

542 posts, read 1,521,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriangleMike View Post
As long as all holes/penetrations between the attic space and top floor living space are sealed + any/all HVAC ductwork located in the attic is sealed, there will be no transfer or migration of conditioned air into the attic (these are both good things to do even if you don't have a powered attic ventilation fan).
While it would be ideal to have your ceiling plane and ducts perfectly sealed, it is definitely not a reality in 99% of homes and attic fans end up being a negative net benefit to the homeowner due to increased energy bills. Also, if radiant barriers were so detrimental to shingles why don't they void the warranty of shingles?

Mike

Old 06-15-2008, 08:20 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,202,462 times
i had 2 put in, it was low cost to install low cost to run. work great.

pdclipart.com
free clipart

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary