U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2012, 07:54 PM

96 posts, read 179,237 times

Advertisements

We lived in Center City Philadelphia for a while and they had all sorts of things for kids. There were 3 activities I thought were pretty unique and I was wondering if there was anything like it here.

1. Baby Loves Disco - on at least one Sunday morning a month, several bars in Center City would open their doors to families - kid's band or DJ, served juice boxes, milk, pretzels and fruit at the bar (and more grownup drinks to get you through it ), and boxes filled with assorted toys all over the place. It was really neat, and always crowded.

2. World Cafe Live - a live music venue with table seating and nonsmoking, fairly upscale I guess but again they would bring in kids bands on Saturday or Sunday afternoons for a dance party, and have a buffet of chicken tender and fruit. We had our daughters birthday party there once.

3. Indoor gyms - we did this in the Northeast due to the cold in the winter, here you could do it during the summer to escape the heat. There was a dedicated kids play center with dress up, jungle gyms and a snack bar that was open to kids only year round. We also had an indoor soccer place with 2 indoor turf fields. In the mornings they would reserve it for kids and put out all kinds of toys, balls, ride-on toys, sports equipment, for small kids to use and they had a snack bar. The adults could just sit on the sidelines and let them go nuts!

Does anyone know of anything like any of these in this area? If not PM me and we can discuss a business plan
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 07:59 PM

1,356 posts, read 3,467,755 times
There are LOTS of kids music concerts in the summer here. We don't have kids but love all outdoorsy music stuff so we've been to quite a few. They are usually free and in parks- Fred Fletcher comes to mind.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:15 PM

597 posts, read 990,890 times
Yes, tons of music for kids here. Justin Roberts just played, and Fresh Beats Band sold out this past week. Lots of events like Music on the Porch and smaller bands like Sandbox that are well liked. Shakori Hills music fest this weekend and that is a fabulous place for kids (and adults!) as long as you don't mind hippies
This Saturday we'll be going to the Red Hat Amphitheater for Broadway Under the Stars. Doors will open at 2 p.m. and feature appearances from local groups performing everyone’s favorite Broadway songs. Free face-painting, jugglers, and magicians will help create a family festival atmosphere. The lineup includes Triangle Youth Jazz Ensemble, Peace University Musical Theater, Performance Edge, and Raleigh Little Theater. The day’s fun ends with a performance by North Carolina’s own Red Clay Ramblers.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:38 PM

9,558 posts, read 26,408,859 times
Man, there is so much stuff here geared towards kids already. There are so many children here that sometimes I think adults are outnumbered and the children will revolt and start running the show.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:57 AM

4,598 posts, read 8,632,668 times
There's lots of indoor gym type places too, from Chuck E Cheese to Bounce U, Defy Gravity, etc.

As far as the bar thing goes, that just seems really weird to me personally. Toddlers and drunk adults don't seem like a great mix lol. Of course you would hope most people aren't getting blitzed on a Sunday morning but I know a few people who would be.

There was this news story floating around a little while ago about a cafe specifically for kids and their parents: Durham mom wants to open cafe designed for tots, their parents :: WRAL.com

Old 10-03-2012, 07:31 AM

635 posts, read 1,373,786 times
The Arts Center in Carrboro offers a number of family concerts throughout the year (as well as theater productions) and has done Baby Loves Disco there some times in the past. As mentioned previously, the NC Art Museum always has kids shows in their summer concert series. We've seen Justin Roberts and They Might Be Giants there (dedicated kids show) and Dan Zanes has played, etc. The Nasher Art Museum (Duke campus) holds a family day every other month and that always includes a live performance of some sort - often a music group but other times a magic show, dance troupe, etc. The Broad Street Cafe in Durham also has a children's music series on Sundays with some frequency. There really is plenty around. The Triangle is much more spread out than Center City Philly, so you might have to look throughout the whole Triangle to find the various opportunities.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:24 PM

96 posts, read 179,237 times
Thanks for all the good information-I'm glad I posted this! We just moved here a couple of months ago and have been very pleasantly surprised at all there is to do here, if you look for it

Old 10-03-2012, 07:33 PM

413 posts, read 740,188 times
NC Symphony offers 3 children's classical concerts per year--including
a petting zoo where they can try to play an instrument. The Halloween
concert is always VERY popular. Kids and parents come in costume
and there is a parade on stage.

Marbles/Exploris! is a very popular kid's museum

Old 10-03-2012, 07:35 PM

11,543 posts, read 17,880,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitri1000 View Post
We lived in Center City Philadelphia for a while and they had all sorts of things for kids. There were 3 activities I thought were pretty unique and I was wondering if there was anything like it here.

1. Baby Loves Disco - on at least one Sunday morning a month, several bars in Center City would open their doors to families - kid's band or DJ, served juice boxes, milk, pretzels and fruit at the bar (and more grownup drinks to get you through it ), and boxes filled with assorted toys all over the place. It was really neat, and always crowded.

2. World Cafe Live - a live music venue with table seating and nonsmoking, fairly upscale I guess but again they would bring in kids bands on Saturday or Sunday afternoons for a dance party, and have a buffet of chicken tender and fruit. We had our daughters birthday party there once.

3. Indoor gyms - we did this in the Northeast due to the cold in the winter, here you could do it during the summer to escape the heat. There was a dedicated kids play center with dress up, jungle gyms and a snack bar that was open to kids only year round. We also had an indoor soccer place with 2 indoor turf fields. In the mornings they would reserve it for kids and put out all kinds of toys, balls, ride-on toys, sports equipment, for small kids to use and they had a snack bar. The adults could just sit on the sidelines and let them go nuts!

Does anyone know of anything like any of these in this area? If not PM me and we can discuss a business plan
No need to call out non-smoking since practically everything indoors is now non-smoking across the state.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:13 PM

825 posts, read 1,620,392 times
Some reasons to head to Durham:

1) Motorco Sunday Bloody Brunch: music, food trucks, cool atmosphere

2) Babies n Beer - Tyler's Tap Room in Durham. Weigl: Take your tyke and lift a pint at ‘Beer and Babies’ - Food - NewsObserver.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary