U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 02:15 PM

2,872 posts, read 4,959,541 times

Advertisements

Council Supports So-Called Police

This seems to indicate that they may soon make a "quota" system official. My understanding from a book I recently read is that the number of arrests an officer makes is really the true measure of his/her performance and almost nothing else matters. I've found Raleigh police to be friendly and helpful, but then again I'm pretty law abiding and all my paperwork is always current.

What do you think? Any Raleigh cops on this board want to comment (off the record of course)? Those who have dealt with police or know anything about their internal requirements/rules/expectations?

(BTW the book I'm referring to is this one: Arrest-Proof Yourself: An Ex-Cop Reveals How Easy It Is for Anyone to Get Arrested,How Even a Single Arrest Could Ruin Your Life,and What to Do If the Police Get in Your Face: Dale C. Carson,Wes Denham: 9781556526374: Amazon.com: Books

(No, I didn't read it because I fear getting arrested - it was suggested by a friend and I am always curious about these types of topics so I read it. It was interesting)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 03:18 PM

2,535 posts, read 4,496,034 times
The title of the book is a bit misleading...I had to click the link because I'm a law-abiding, mini-van driving, soccer mom (not literally, because I think kids are way over-scheduled and we don't do a lot of activities, but I do have a handful of children). You had me worried that I might mist-step and get arrested! Anyway, the book appears to be (based on the reviews) geared toward the lower socioeconomic class petty criminals.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:40 PM

9,198 posts, read 21,151,892 times
Arresting people and issuing tickets is part of a police officer's job, so I'm a bit confused why the union is so opposed to it being part of their evaluation system. I can't think of another job where a major task of that job wouldn't be subject to measurement and evaluation.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:46 PM

2,308 posts, read 3,215,703 times
So, what you're saying is that Raleigh will soon use police as a major revenue collecting entity like towns like Cary have been doing for years?

Old 10-04-2012, 06:32 AM

4,598 posts, read 8,632,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Arresting people and issuing tickets is part of a police officer's job, so I'm a bit confused why the union is so opposed to it being part of their evaluation system. I can't think of another job where a major task of that job wouldn't be subject to measurement and evaluation.
I have also been confused by this. Oh no! You might actually start pulling people over who road rage, don't turn on their turn signals, litter, etc?! Pretty sure the average officer could meet their quota in a week just driving around during rush hour.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:38 AM

2,308 posts, read 3,215,703 times
They do not like to "patrol" during rush hour. I've been told this is because they are too busy writing up accident reports to bother patrolling busy area roads during the morning and afternoon rush. I have a friend who is a Raleigh cop, and I've asked him why is it I NEVER see cops out running radar or patrolling the busy rods during rush hour....but drive home down 540 at midnight, and you'll see 3 of them running radar!

Old 10-04-2012, 06:43 AM

2,872 posts, read 4,959,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
The title of the book is a bit misleading...I had to click the link because I'm a law-abiding, mini-van driving, soccer mom (not literally, because I think kids are way over-scheduled and we don't do a lot of activities, but I do have a handful of children). You had me worried that I might mist-step and get arrested! Anyway, the book appears to be (based on the reviews) geared toward the lower socioeconomic class petty criminals.
That's not the case. Part of it may be, but he goes into great detail on why all of us upstanding citizens want to avoid even a false arrest, primarily because once you're put on what he calls the "electronic plantation" (the national databases) you will never get off. Even if arrest records are "expunged" or you get off scot free from your crime...your arrest record can scar you for life in many ways.

He also goes into a lot of common sense advice for dealing with even routine traffic stops and why you should never give out any information other than name, address, and where you're going.

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't follow every bit of his advice, only that I found it enlightening and eye opening as to what cops can and can't legally do to incite you to resist, flee, commit battery, etc. You'd be surprised at the examples.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
So, what you're saying is that Raleigh will soon use police as a major revenue collecting entity like towns like Cary have been doing for years?
Cary has some of the lowest crime rates in the country. If Raleigh is going to follow their model, more power to them!

Old 10-04-2012, 06:44 AM

7,691 posts, read 10,062,057 times
Personally, I don't have a problem with police giving tickets to those who break laws. On the other hand, setting up like Morrisville does and ticketing because you crossed the yellow line by a foot to get to the empty turn lane (and on days they do this, travel times for everyone are drastically increased as traffic does not flow) or setting speed traps on roads whose speed limits were not set by sound engineering practice but for political reasons are things that can happen when the quota mentality sets in.

As far as the book goes, sounds similar to what my father in law, who was a police officer says. Especially the part about not giving info. Basically, the constitution gives you the right to remain silent. Take advantage of it and get a lawyer if it's something worse than a traffic ticket.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Right. It's not like there aren't crimes happening. There are, they just don't get caught. So why would catching more criminals in the act not be part of an evaluation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary