Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2006, 12:37 PM

17 posts, read 45,759 times

Advertisements

hi..we just moved from So. Cal to wilmington,NC and though we like it near the beach, I miss the bigger city feel, more stores, restaurants, etc. My husband also travels and near a larger airport may be better. Our main concern is finding a great neighborhood where we can meet people, newcomers too? and give our kids, 5 and 8 yrs. a good way of life. Are the public schools good, private? We are planning to visit. We would miss the beach but it's only 2 hrs away? I need to be directed to a neighborhood, ($350-550,000 range) with families like us, friendly and good school near. Also how is the culture? thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2006, 01:59 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,838,777 times
Raleigh sounds like what you are looking for. Go take a look at the North Raleigh areas (areas north of US-70 and I-440 and west of US-1, ranging from Brier Creek in the west, to Creedmoor Road, Six Forks Rd, and Falls of the Neuse). Take a tour of North Raleigh by driving through Falls of the Neuse, Lynn Road, Six Forks Road (stopping by the North Hills Mall at Six Forks and I-440), then heading west on I-440 to US-70 west and checking out Crabtree Valley Mall (excellent upscale mall), then checking out the areas off Creedmoor Road (Route 50) north of the Mall. You can then head west on US-70 and check out the Brier Creek area, which is right by the airport. Then, head south into Morrisville and check out the mostly new construction in that area, which is excellent if you will work in RTP (Research Triangle Park) but is a little too new and too "under construction" for my tastes.

Then head down into Cary, a great suburban town with an urban diversity and vibe, and a huge percentage of transplants. Drive through the town along Cary Parkway, Maynard Road, and through the historic town center. Follow Kildaire Farm Road to the southern side of town. At the corner with Cary Parkway there is a new Trader Joe's being built - the first in NC.

Then swing up to Downtown Raleigh (areas inside the beltline including the city center, north and west of the city center, in and around NCSU).

Other areas to consider are Apex and Holly Springs, which are basically just a little further out from Cary. Chapel Hill, which is about 30 to 45 minutes west, is also a very nice, progressive college town with excellent public schools.

Old 09-28-2006, 03:58 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,130,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Raleigh sounds like what you are looking for. Go take a look at the North Raleigh areas (areas north of US-70 and I-440 and west of US-1, ranging from Brier Creek in the west, to Creedmoor Road, Six Forks Rd, and Falls of the Neuse). Take a tour of North Raleigh by driving through Falls of the Neuse, Lynn Road, Six Forks Road (stopping by the North Hills Mall at Six Forks and I-440), then heading west on I-440 to US-70 west and checking out Crabtree Valley Mall (excellent upscale mall), then checking out the areas off Creedmoor Road (Route 50) north of the Mall. You can then head west on US-70 and check out the Brier Creek area, which is right by the airport. Then, head south into Morrisville and check out the mostly new construction in that area, which is excellent if you will work in RTP (Research Triangle Park) but is a little too new and too "under construction" for my tastes.

Then head down into Cary, a great suburban town with an urban diversity and vibe, and a huge percentage of transplants. Drive through the town along Cary Parkway, Maynard Road, and through the historic town center. Follow Kildaire Farm Road to the southern side of town. At the corner with Cary Parkway there is a new Trader Joe's being built - the first in NC.

Then swing up to Downtown Raleigh (areas inside the beltline including the city center, north and west of the city center, in and around NCSU).

Other areas to consider are Apex and Holly Springs, which are basically just a little further out from Cary. Chapel Hill, which is about 30 to 45 minutes west, is also a very nice, progressive college town with excellent public schools.

Wow, Tarp...good information and great directions. Throw in Wake Forest and Rolesville and you've sold me!

Vicki

Old 09-28-2006, 05:11 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,838,777 times
Thanks Vicki.

I recommend everyone looking to drive around the Raleigh area to stop by a Staples and pick up a copy of ADC Map's Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill Street Map Book which retails for about $23, or if you will only be looking within Wake County, get the Raleigh Street Map Book for $13. ADC's maps have the best detail and are very readable. Every school, church, library, park, and shopping center is included. It is far superior to the map's offered by Universal Map or Rand McNally, as ADC is based here in Northern Virginia and focuses only on a few markets, namely Virginia, NC, Atlanta, Maryland, and southern NJ/PA/Delaware.

ADC Maps are sold at every single gas station here in Virginia, but in the Raleigh area I went to 5 different gas stations before stopping at a Staples, which had it.

Old 09-28-2006, 08:44 PM

505 posts, read 2,533,676 times
Wow, you can't get any better than downtown Wilmington!

Raleigh's great, but I think it is far fetched to say we have a big city feel. Raleigh is nothing but fast food and chain restaurants. lol

Wilmington rocks!

Old 09-29-2006, 11:22 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,387,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beffrey2 View Post
Raleigh is nothing but fast food and chain restaurants. lol
I take it you've never been downtown??? Or even Inside-the-Beltline? Hardly any chain or fast food there...almost all local!

Old 09-29-2006, 01:11 PM

505 posts, read 2,533,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
I take it you've never been downtown??? Or even Inside-the-Beltline? Hardly any chain or fast food there...almost all local!

Yeah, thats true. But....downtown Wilmington is the same way. My point was Wilmington is just like Raleigh but on a much smaller scale. Big difference is Wilmington is on the beach!

I like Raleigh, and yes, we have a bunch of locally owned small restaurants. But Wilmington has there share as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary