U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-08-2012, 04:54 PM

77 posts, read 74,483 times

Advertisements

Hello: I have been looking at the websites and I am not getting a good idea of the best route to get to the blue ridge parkway from Raleigh. I think I have an around about idea but not sure if I am supposed to head towards Winston Salem then towards Boone? One route on google says take Mt. Airy exit. Just want the best route, I don't always trust google or my GPS. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 05:00 PM

329 posts, read 539,938 times
Yes, you can get off at Winston-Salem (Hwy 421 I think) and head towards Boone, or you can go to Hickory and take 321 up through Blowing Rock (and eventually Boone).

Old 10-08-2012, 05:11 PM

17,600 posts, read 23,805,174 times
Similar distance trip (NC 86 and US220) gets you up to Roanoke too.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:51 PM

Thanks for the clarification. I'm not familiar with that part of NC and was getting a little confused. Thanks for the info.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:13 PM
rfb

1,348 posts, read 3,287,172 times
It depends on which part of the Blue Ridge Parkway you want to visit. For the portion near Boone / Blowing Rock, I usually take I-40 past Winston Salem, then 421 North. You get 4 lane roads and highways all the way to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Then just choose your direction (I usually head South) and enjoy :-).

Old 10-09-2012, 06:55 AM

226 posts, read 176,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
It depends on which part of the Blue Ridge Parkway you want to visit.
^^this^^

If you want to visit the southern end of the Blue Ridge, you could take I-40 to Black Mountain, then get on 70 heading west, and onto the Parkway from there. The actual entrance is closer to Asheville, but I always think it's easier to go through Black Mountain and avoid Asheville traffic (what little there is...). The highest point on the parkway is actually south of Asheville; the highest point in the US east of the Mississippi is just north (Mount Mitchell). Also near the southern end of the Parkway is the Cherohala Skyway, another beautiful, scenic drive (The Cherohala Skyway, a National Scenic Byway). Another side trip from this end of the parkway is DuPont State Forest, where portions of Last of the Mohicans and The Hunger Games was filmed, if that interests you at all.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:18 PM

919 posts, read 1,180,661 times
I always like taking I40 W to I26E to NC 280W to US 276N. This takes you right to Mt Pisgah. It's a great ride from there north toward Asheville.

And right now there's great apple picking at a few farms right off of NC 280.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
It depends on which part of the Blue Ridge Parkway you want to visit. For the portion near Boone / Blowing Rock, I usually take I-40 past Winston Salem, then 421 North. You get 4 lane roads and highways all the way to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Then just choose your direction (I usually head South) and enjoy :-).

That was what I was thinking, thanks for the exact direction. I do like a couple of other suggestions mentioned, so now I can take my pick!

Old 10-09-2012, 04:21 PM

45,095 posts, read 56,964,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcs11 View Post
That was what I was thinking, thanks for the exact direction. I do like a couple of other suggestions mentioned, so now I can take my pick!
This recent thread may interest you

Blue Ridge Parkway - Trip Advice

Old 10-09-2012, 04:33 PM

5,803 posts, read 5,716,289 times
This BRP website may be of interest as well. It is difficult to make a decision on just which section to explore. depends on your time frame mostly. Personally, I'd just jump on I-40 west right thru AVL, check the sites at various mile markers online and pick a starting and ending point. It's all good.

Blue Ridge Parkway - Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary