Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 04:12 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times

Advertisements

I think CHC schools are good because of some of all of that, but also because they are very well funded (high taxes in CHC) and because they have such a great reputation they attract the best teachers. There is also a high percentage of gifted kids and so there are a lot of offerings for those kids. They also have good administrators and a good board which is more than can be said for Wake County of late. I do think there are great schools in Wake, Durham, and Orange counties, too, but I don't think Chapel Hill/Carrboro's success is by any stretch of the means all due to parent involvement. They do have a great set of kids and parents to work with, but there are really great school personnel, too.

chapelhillnews.com | Chapel Hill-Carrboro schools committed to growth mindset

BTW, Chapel Hill has higher taxes and higher housing costs than many other local areas, but that does not make it an exclusively affluent community. According to city-data the median family income for Chapel Hill is actually less than that of Cary and Carrboro's is comparable to that of Raleigh. We value good schools as a community and are willing to pay higher taxes and pay for bonds, etc to fund them.

Median family income in 2009:

Chapel Hill: $90,955
Raleigh: $70,998
Carrboro: $74,782
Cary: $106,008
North Carolina:$54,288

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/income/inco...#ixzz2O1nRvpcY
Read more: http://www.city-data.com/income/inco...#ixzz2O1nJjw20
Read more: http://www.city-data.com/income/inco...#ixzz2O1nCoK2V
Read more: http://www.city-data.com/income/inco...#ixzz2O1myXVFi

I initially compared the median household income, but delved a little deeper to get the family income instead because I figured that would be more representative of the parents. The household income figures are below and as you can see Chapel Hill and Carrboro come in well below Raleigh and Cary—probably due to the larger comparative number of singles and students.

Estimated median household income in 2009:
Chapel Hill: $47,356
Raleigh: $51,969
Cary: $83,292
Carrboro: $39,621
North Carolina: $43,674

Last edited by poppydog; 03-19-2013 at 04:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 04:23 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Or...are CH schools good because of a very low amount of "free and reduced lunch" students?

And...by the way...Green Hope HS has better scores than any of the CH high schools!

Vicki

Old 03-19-2013, 05:10 PM

I would say Green Hope and East Chapel Hill High are pretty comparable as far as the quantitative measures. Green Hope kids do better on the ABCs EOGs, but East kids do better on the SATs. East has an Honor School of Excellence designation while Green Hope has a School of Excellence designation w/o the "Honor" for whatever that's worth (and I have no idea). I think they're both good schools.

As far as free and reduced lunch info I'm having a harder time finding that, but greatschools.org shows Green Hope being whiter (72%) than East Chapel Hill High (59%).

Old 03-19-2013, 08:31 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
you shouldn't have ANY issue finding the FNR numbers. they're readily available at ncreportcards.org, which I have said many times is the best place for statistical info across NC.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:33 PM

District Search Results Page

go to "high student achievement" and scroll down

Old 03-19-2013, 08:41 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justlivingmylife View Post
Tedesco: Upcoming school board proposal 'a doozy' :: WRAL.com

Anyone have any idea what this article is talking about? What proposal? From the comments from WRAL comment section, it seems to imply that they are going back to neighborhood schools or the State is taking over Wake County schools? I don't understand, can anyone shred any light on this. I don't think I can handle anymore change at this point...
I doubt even Tedesco knows. He's a moron.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
you shouldn't have ANY issue finding the FNR numbers. they're readily available at ncreportcards.org, which I have said many times is the best place for statistical info across NC.
I like ncreportcards, too Bo, but what Vicki was talking about, I believe, was the overall number of Free & Reduced Lunch kids or Economically Disadvantaged kids in a school compared to the number of non-ED kids, rather than the test scores of the ED students. The implication is that more ED students bring down the total test scores and maybe one reason CHCCS scores are high is due to a smaller number of ED students. The NC Report Card site gives test scores for the ED group, but I can't see where it says "20% of the kids in WCPPS get Free & Reduced Lunch or are Economically Disadvantaged". That's the number I was trying to find. Greatschools.org lists it for Chapel Hill Carrboro City Schools, but not for Wake so you can't compare one school to another on that criterion at Great Schools and I can't see a breakdown on NC Report Cards. I may just be overlooking it.

NCReportcards.org does show more teachers w/ advanced degrees in CHCCS vs WCPSS.

Last edited by poppydog; 03-19-2013 at 09:20 PM..

Old 03-20-2013, 06:00 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Or...are CH schools good because of a very low amount of "free and reduced lunch" students?

And...by the way...Green Hope HS has better scores than any of the CH high schools!

Vicki
Chapel Hill schools actually have a surprisingly high number of free and reduced meal (FARM) students. I remember looking at that data point before I moved here and was shocked at how high it was.

I looked at School Digger which has data from the 2010-2011 year. Green Hope has a much lower percentage of FARMS than CH.

Free and Reduced Meals:
Green Hope High : 6.2%
East Chapel Hill High: 16.2%
Chapel Hill High: 17.7%
Carrboro High: 21.2%

http://www.schooldigger.com/go/NC/sc...89/school.aspx

Old 03-20-2013, 07:35 AM

Thanks michgc. That's what I was looking for.

I think CHC values economic diversity within individual schools and as much economic parity across the district as possible as evidenced by the recent redistricting with the opening of the new elementary school. I think WCPPS used to have a model system for economic diversity, but with the move toward neighborhood schools that goal may have fallen by the wayside.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:58 AM

Before I say anything else - both school systems are very good places.

Wake demographic info is available. Do you want it (real close) for a school, or for the system?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary