U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 09:26 PM

85 posts, read 177,150 times
Default Kids in the neighborhood.

The family and I were down looking at houses in a neighborhood near an elementary school that was letting the children out. There were children every where riding bikes or walking home.

This was something I haven't seen in years. It reminded me of the way things were when I was a kid. Sadly I did not think this sort of thing existed any more.

Since than I have been wondering, is this the norm or was it neighborhood specific?

Ive also been wondering if kids play out and about the neighborhood riding bikes and playing ball, or is every thing based around structured activities ie. play dates,soccer, scouts etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 09:40 PM

2,408 posts, read 7,181,381 times
There are kids walking home, biking home and stuff in my neighborhood. They often play ball on my street (I live in a cul-de-sac). I don't know if it's normal or not, but it definitely is happening here.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:54 PM

3,021 posts, read 7,368,547 times
Same here. We live within walking distance of an elementary school & I usually see some of the kids walking home. In the afternoon & evenings it's very common to see kids out playing and riding bikes. Plenty of adults ride bikes & take walks in our neighborhood, too. There are a bunch of young boys just a few doors down from us who get together & play basketball (we have a hoop set up along the actual cul-de-sac). So yes, that happens here, too.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Same here. We live within walking distance of an elementary school & I usually see some of the kids walking home. In the afternoon & evenings it's very common to see kids out playing and riding bikes. Plenty of adults ride bikes & take walks in our neighborhood, too. There are a bunch of young boys just a few doors down from us who get together & play basketball (we have a hoop set up along the actual cul-de-sac). So yes, that happens here, too.
Wow, that is so cool!

Do you live in a neighborhood with an HOA?

Old 10-08-2007, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
There are kids walking home, biking home and stuff in my neighborhood. They often play ball on my street (I live in a cul-de-sac). I don't know if it's normal or not, but it definitely is happening here.
Sounds like cul-de-sacs are the way to go.

I was starting to think that it was like an old star trek episode, you know where you go outside and there are no kids running around.

Where we live kids are never outside playing by themselves.

It was nice to see, and I would love for my kids to experience that.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:02 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,460,734 times
I live on a street of 30 homes that ends in a cul-de-sac.

The 77th child on the street was born last month.

There are always kids out after school.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:05 AM

7,305 posts, read 14,049,850 times
The kids in my neighbohood all run around together. We love it because it's more like it was when I was growing up. A few of the kids do some organized sports, but mostly, the kids ride their bikes on the sidewalks or run around someone's back yard. They are semi-supervised, in that they are always between about 5 houses either in the yard or out front runiing around. We all poke our heads out occassionally to see what's going on and where they are.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:18 AM

3,021 posts, read 7,368,547 times
I live in a neighborhood in southern Durham where there seems to always be people enjoying the outdoors, either walking their dogs or riding bikes or playing games or what have you. Honestly, I think it's pretty common to see kids playing outside in most of the neighborhoods here in the Triangle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny,ny View Post
Wow, that is so cool!

Do you live in a neighborhood with an HOA?
Yes, we have an HOA. You'll find that HOAs are very common down here, but it's possible to find a house with no HOA if that's what you want.

Some HOAs charge a lot more than others because they offer different things. For instance we pay $158 a year for our HOA. That covers maintenance for public spaces as well as many miles of walking trails. We have a clubhouse with a swimming pool, tennis courts, soccer fields and such, but it costs extra to join. Many other neighborhood HOAs charge much more (the one next to us charges about $875 a year), but those fees include use of their clubhouse & pool. Even if we joined our clubhouse we'd still pay less than the people in the neighboring community ... which is one of the reasons why we moved here instead.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:40 AM

275 posts, read 764,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
The kids in my neighbohood all run around together. We love it because it's more like it was when I was growing up. A few of the kids do some organized sports, but mostly, the kids ride their bikes on the sidewalks or run around someone's back yard. They are semi-supervised, in that they are always between about 5 houses either in the yard or out front runiing around. We all poke our heads out occassionally to see what's going on and where they are.
This is how we are too. My kids know everyone on the block in our culdesac, and 4 homes have kids their age. Right around the corner, next culdesac over, there are at least 4 more families with kids. They roam from house to house (after asking of course). All of us parents know each other. Lots of bike riding and outdoor play going on if weather permits, otherwise, its not uncommon to have an extra 3 or 4 kids up playing games in our bonus room. We love it and our kids do too. Just like when we were kids.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:33 AM

I am really glad to hear that this is common place, it is what I want for my kids.

Do you think that neighborhoods with HOA's might offer environments more conducive for outside play, or is this just the norm in the triangle, even in older more traditional neighborhoods?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary