U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 10-15-2007, 08:42 PM

21,443 posts, read 35,027,332 times
What is there rule for bringing stuff in? Can I bring in camera and camera bags? Bottle water or soda?

What is the best place to park or get to the fair?
I read about how food is expensive so I thought about eating before going in but will I be hampering on trying things I have not tried before?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-15-2007, 09:32 PM

86 posts
By the way, nothing wrong with spandex if its on a curvy body.

Unread 10-15-2007, 09:49 PM

14 posts, read 31,265 times
While attending the Fair on opening night, this past Friday, It seemed to be no problem if you brought in things from the outside. It seemed as though EVERYBODY there had cameras, camera bags, backpacks, cellphones, pocketbooks, strollers, diaper bags, sodas, waters, etc... - you name it, they had it!!
Upon entrance through the gates, nobody was checking bags or anything like that - it was just, Give em' your ticket & walk on through with whatever you had in hand!!
PARKING: if you are able to & don't mind walking 10 minutes, parking is offered FREE at Carter Finley Stadium on Trinity Rd. (10 min. - not too bad for free parking!)
FOOD is expensive, so one might eat beforehand & just splurge on a couple of yummy, special treats. I, myself tried the Fried Candy Bar (Snickers) that I heard people raving about all week on the news & in the newspaper. It was delightfully DELICIOUS! Enjoy your trip to the Fair. Hope this helped some.

Unread 10-15-2007, 10:48 PM

7,024 posts, read 12,794,467 times
You can pretty much take in what you want. No alcohol though. I love that about the fair. It's not one of those controlling venues.

Unread 10-16-2007, 06:44 PM

847 posts, read 2,203,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaNC View Post
I am a bit of a fair freak, according to my husband.

Here are my tips.
Great post! I caught a whiff of State Fair as I was reading this. Can't wait to go this week.

My tip is to go during the day, during the week, and not on "Can Day" (when you can get in for free with a certain # of cans from a certain grocery store), if you want to go when it's not crowded. We like to eat lunch outside the fair to save a little money and then stay until it just gets dark so we can ride the Ferris wheel when it's lit up.

The bathrooms by the entrance near the lake are the grossest and most overcrowded.

Unread 10-17-2007, 04:09 PM

1,443 posts, read 2,018,336 times
Default Very Helpful

Thanks VaNC
I found your post to be very helpful and event printed it out as we went to the Fair today; not too crowded and the weather was perfect.

We came in gate 8 so we immediately saw the Children's Barn/Big Strawberry and knew we were on the right path. The corn was some of the best corn I've ever had.
Next stop - pork loin sandwiches - h e a v e n l y!! I had the pork loin with slaw on it and my husband had the bbq - both were amazing and the sause they had on the table added a litte zip.
Found some of the maple cotton candy - yummy; we only had a sample because we had some more grazing to do.
We were torn between the funnel cake and peach/apple cobbler so we went with a 1/2 peach/1/2 apple warmed with ice cream and we loved it.
Oh, my husband tried a fried twinky and that was great.
Thanks for taking the time to write a detailed post. We're first timer's so it was so helpful and thoughtful of you.
Thanks again.
Donna

Unread 10-17-2007, 06:11 PM

8,115 posts, read 13,982,608 times
Shuttle buses from North Raleigh were really neat tour buses, not CAT buses.

Much better than driving.

We had a great time this morning.

Unread 10-17-2007, 07:19 PM

1,443 posts, read 2,018,336 times
We drove right into the fair parking and took a tram in which was great. I'm sure it will be a different story this weekend.

Unread 10-18-2007, 10:38 AM
vq1

134 posts, read 345,115 times
Default State Fair

Hello VaNC

Thanks for the tour book. We are taking your advise and will go on Friday.

Unread 10-18-2007, 01:37 PM

836 posts, read 2,086,319 times
Thanks everybody! Glad it helped.

I must add that the mini-donut trailer (it is small, like the tiny donut maker inside!) is right across from the entrance to the Jim Graham building. They are even better than I remember, tiny, pillow tender, surgary goodness. Make sure you get them right when they are making them. Mmmm. Maybe I need to go back to the fair in the a.m.

A couple notes from this year. Don't miss "Pigasso" the painting pig who is under the awning that runs between the Jim G. bldg and the State Fair Ark/Exposition Center (where big pumpkin, goat/sheep judging, bees, NCSU cow milking, etc. are). Kids thought he was a riot. Also, around by the "Field of Dreams" is the Navy (or was it army) booth, where they had two chin up bars and people were trying to do 20 chin ups to win a cap. The whole crowd counts, they let kids do it (with a LITTLE help) and the soldiers are so darned cute and nice (did I say that out loud?). The strangest juxtaposition in the fair is that they share a tent with the Barbizon model booth. The soldiers are WAY cuter than the models. I know, I know, I am 48 and need to stop noticing cute soldiers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary