Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 11:12 PM

2,110 posts, read 2,723,610 times

Advertisements

My house was broken into this past Thursday in broad daylight. They got the usual jewelry, money, etc. and tore up the door getting in. The thing that pisses me off is the fact that they stole my brand new camera. I'm talking a "less than a month old not even paid for" camera. Not a fancy camera, an Olympus SP-820UZ point and shoot. I bought it as a backup camera and mainly for the video aspect to use on trains.

I made it a point to carry it with me every day. That day I had my arms full and was running late so I left it. Typical of my luck it's the one day the house is broken into. The sheriff's department has all my info including serial numbers. All the pawn shops have been notified. I'm checking Craig's List, Ebay, etc every day. All the want ads are being looked at as well. Any ideas on where else I can look?

I realize the odds are slim to none that I'll ever get it back? However I have a huge problem paying for something I don't own anymore. I have never been so pissed off as I am now about this. I truely hope the authorities catch whoever did it before I do! I posted this here because of the "local" connection instead of in the photography forum. You don't realize how much you use something until it's gone...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 04:08 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,235,896 times
I would suggest you actually go to the pawn shops to check. A friend of mine was burglarized and that's what the cops told her to do. I'd say your chances of actually recovering it are minuscule though. My friend never found any of her stuff.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:32 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,686,955 times
I assume you filed an insurance claim.

Also, did you pay for it with a credit card/ Some cards have insurance on purchases. Look into it!

Old 12-02-2012, 06:00 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Keep on checking ebay and CL....on CL don't just check the Raleigh forum. I bet it will turn up, unless someone just decided they like it and want to keep it or give as a holiday gift.

I also agree with checking with the pawn shops yourself.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:38 AM

838 posts, read 2,523,588 times
A friend of mine in Cary had a bunch of cycling equipment stolen from his garage. One of the expensive frames and parts turned up on ebay from a seller in washington d.c. area.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:39 AM

5,870 posts, read 6,940,842 times
SearchTempest Online Classifieds Search - All the Classifieds. One Search. allows you to search multiple CLs. Sites like FeedBlitz lets you set up a search and sends e-mails when there is a match.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:01 AM

2,110 posts, read 2,723,610 times
Many thanks ya'll! I check the pawn shops myself every day and have filed it on my insurance. I've already looked into the credit card thing as well. I'll look at the link, that should help also. Thanks!

Old 12-04-2012, 10:40 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,951,705 times
A friend of mine lost her Iphone. She had it replaced and a few weeks after the store where she had it replaced contacted her to let her know that her phone was brought in by someone who had purchased it on craigslist (trying to activate it). She got her phone back that way...

Definitely check cragislist and ebay.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:01 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
A friend of mine lost her Iphone. She had it replaced and a few weeks after the store where she had it replaced contacted her to let her know that her phone was brought in by someone who had purchased it on craigslist (trying to activate it). She got her phone back that way...

Definitely check cragislist and ebay.
She didn't mention anything being stolen with an esn on it so it's not going to help to her.

As other said check ebay and craigslist. You can search ebay listings by distance. Pawn shops will probably be best though.

People make me sick. You would have to have some pretty big stones to break into a home. Especially in a state with a castle doctrine. This just reminds me why I need to buy a shotgun

Old 12-04-2012, 02:24 PM

79 posts, read 227,028 times
Check with your local crackhead. Chances are you can buy it back on the street for $20.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary