Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 07:47 PM

4 posts, read 10,813 times

Advertisements

I mean in terms of jobs - do people typically have jobs before making the move or do most people move and then look for work? I know for me leaving a job that I like and that pays well to move to new state not knowing a soul and then looking for a job is a scary thought. So how did you do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2006, 07:50 AM

107 posts, read 354,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell View Post
I mean in terms of jobs - do people typically have jobs before making the move or do most people move and then look for work? I know for me leaving a job that I like and that pays well to move to new state not knowing a soul and then looking for a job is a scary thought. So how did you do it?
We moved from New York in July. Since we have a big family, I would not move until my husband found a job first with good benefits. He went back and forth for interviews for about 6 months from when we became serious. He got a great job and is making the same salary as he did on Long Island. Some say we lucked out but who knows !! It was scary moving to a place and not knowing anybody, but I just told myself our family still has one another and we will make it through together .It was truly the best move that we made for my family. My husband had to work side jobs , just to keep a float since we are a family of 6 in New York. Now we no longer need side jobs, I feel that our family has gotten back together and gottern closer again since we can all spend time TOGETHER ! Plus not knowing anyone in the beginning led us to leaning on each other instead of friends around us. We now have friends and great neighbors. Of course we miss everybody but , the ease of stress has paid off on our family tremendously. I have 4 boys and even they have told us that they are happy that they moved , which makes it all good !!!

Old 09-30-2006, 10:22 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,718,382 times
Exactly the question I was going to post! Thank you for the honest reply. We are also in the process of trying to relocate to beautiful Raleigh, North Carolina. Unfortunately, we do not have the luxury of simply asking for a transfer from our jobs. My husband and I are attempting to start over (with four children in tow!) There are days when I just want to give up the whole idea of moving and take the easy way out and just stay in the most over-taxed, corrupt state in the union, but I just can't put that burden on my children. I want them to grow up in an environment that is friendlier, more relaxed, where people seem to know how to enjoy their lives. We've visited Raleigh and the surrounding areas several times and really fell in love with the people and the diversities the city has to offer. What scares me a bit is reading all of the threads about some transplants form NY/NJ that have brought their bad attitudes with them. I actually read a post from someone from New Jersey, who complained that the people in the triangle area were: "too nice" Wow! Hopefully Raleigh hasn't turned into "little Jersey" yet.

Old 09-30-2006, 11:14 AM

225 posts, read 954,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell View Post
I mean in terms of jobs - do people typically have jobs before making the move or do most people move and then look for work?
Just from reading this message board for the last few months, it seems like a lot of people just move down without a job. At first I couldn't beleive someone could do that! But, now hearing how fast Raleigh is growing I guess maybe if I didin't have a family & had some savings it would be something I would consider.

However, in our situation my husband was offered a job (the company came to Detroit looking---it is growing so fast down there that they need to go out of state to hire), which we decided we could not turn down (working in the auto industry here in Metro Detroit, is not good place to be in right now) basically doing what he did up here, but, making 2x his salary in Raleigh. We do not want to leave our home, but, we also need to raise 4 boys & didn't know if we could survive the next 5 years in metro detroit.

We did not know anything about the Raleigh area & but, he started his job in August & so far loves it down there. We found a home to rent in the Apex /Cary area & at semester break I will join him with the kids.

With all the growth in the Raleigh area, I can't imagine that you wouldn't be able to find work . The best thing is to go down and research your options.

Last edited by Yac; 09-30-2006 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: quote fixed

Old 09-30-2006, 11:48 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times
My husband got a job before moving, after we got moved there they let him go, he couldnt find another job paying the same amount, which we needed to keep paying the mortgage, but finally he recieved a job offer out of state so we are moving. It was a real dissapointment, but thats life,

Old 09-30-2006, 02:30 PM

39 posts, read 85,600 times
that is very disapoiniting what line of work was you husband in and wher eare you going to go know.. how long were you living there before this happened.. you poor thing .. that would be so sad and probably the thing that would happen to me..well good luck with your new move and job..

Old 09-30-2006, 05:15 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,008,315 times
We were fortunate. Dh did a lateral transfer within his company. Seems like many of the people in our neighborhood came without jobs lined up which to me would be frightening not to mention stressful!

Old 09-30-2006, 07:17 PM

4 posts, read 10,813 times
Thanks for the replies!! I love this message board and was thrilled to find it after we started seriously talking about making the move.

If my wife and I were just out of college I think we would make the move without having jobs lined up first - but now with 2 little ones we can't take that risk. Plus we have good paying jobs here on LI.

Anyone else with similar experiences? How did your friends/neighbors make the move? Anyone use a headhunter, etc?

Sorry for all the questions but this a big thing holding us back.

Old 09-30-2006, 08:54 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times
I have heard that people from out of state have less success with headhunters than with applying directly to companies in the area. My spouse works at IBM in the park and they tend to hire from within mainly and have more difficulty getting approval to hire from outside. SAS tends to be the same way as well. I do think you will have better success applying directly to companies than going on places like monster, etc.

Leigh

Old 10-02-2006, 05:30 AM

89 posts, read 444,189 times
Default Job Fairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmarie View Post
Just from reading this message board for the last few months, it seems like a lot of people just move down without a job. At first I couldn't beleive someone could do that! But, now hearing how fast Raleigh is growing I guess maybe if I didin't have a family & had some savings it would be something I would consider.

However, in our situation my husband was offered a job (the company came to Detroit looking---it is growing so fast down there that they need to go out of state to hire), which we decided we could not turn down (working in the auto industry here in Metro Detroit, is not good place to be in right now) basically doing what he did up here, but, making 2x his salary in Raleigh. We do not want to leave our home, but, we also need to raise 4 boys & didn't know if we could survive the next 5 years in metro detroit.

We did not know anything about the Raleigh area & but, he started his job in August & so far loves it down there. We found a home to rent in the Apex /Cary area & at semester break I will join him with the kids.

With all the growth in the Raleigh area, I can't imagine that you wouldn't be able to find work . The best thing is to go down and research your options.

I wish companies would come to me to hire from NC! Anyone know of any good job fairs going on in the area so that we can plan a trip around it? Or any other way of finding a good job from out of state...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary