Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 06:31 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times

Advertisements

Once you get above the $250,000 range, solid surface counters are a must have. That or figure in a few thousand less in offers as people will want to upgrade. Laminate counter tops really don't have a place in houses over $250,000. And a lot of nwe homes under $200,000 will have granite or something similar now. Tile countertops, laminate, etc are all WAY out of fashion and will hurt resell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 07:23 PM

838 posts, read 2,523,588 times
We just did a big home remodel/addition project and we completely gutted and rebuilt the kitchen. We went with granite, just something conservative. We didn't care for the wild movement pieces for the kitchen. For the master bath, we bought a really cool piece of granite with lots of movement, looks really nice. For the 3rd floor small bath, we picked out a nice remnant piece of granite. My wife's mother and sister both have silestone, but we didn't think it was worth the extra expense over granite and the choices seemed limited.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:55 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,091,761 times
If I was moving into a 1911 home, I would prefer butcher block countertops for its looks, but I guess I'm in the minority. If it was a home built in the last 10 or 15 years, I'd want granite, quartz, or silestone.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:25 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,474,648 times
Thanks for all the replies. I think I might be leaning toward quartz or possibly granite at this point. I do most of the cooking and Dh would not be stubborn about counter top finishes if I didn't like something, I just want to make sure it's not a bad choice if we decide to sell. The house is a 1960's era around 200k, but other houses in the neighborhood that have been upgraded have sold in the 300's recently. I do like the look of granite, but not the glare that I have seen in some. Someone said I could get a more muted finish to it, which I will look in to. The other problem is my kids. They are responsible for putting away the clean dishes from the dishwasher. They often climb up on the counters to reach the cabinets. I don't want there to be any mishaps. I want the kitchen to be as kid friendly as possible. I don't like the description I have heard on this thread of the Corian looking/feeling like plastic. I don't want something that feels fake.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:55 AM

477 posts, read 1,418,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
I do like the look of granite, but not the glare that I have seen in some. Someone said I could get a more muted finish to it, which I will look in to.
Google "honed finish" or stop by the showroom at the Tile Shop on Glenwood where they have samples of finishes out on display. It really helps to see and feel the finishes in person.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:34 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,932,158 times
The term "movement" as applied to granite in this thread is a new one for me. I'm not entirely sure what it's supposed to mean in that context.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:37 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
I think it really just depends on the house, the neighborhood, and how much you're looking to spend. I don't really like granite but it's in the right price point for our house and neighborhood. I love the look of custom concrete countertops but we would never make our money back in resale. I've seen some houses where they'll do a mix of granite and butcher block which also looks really nice.

But no matter what you do, don't bother replacing the countertops if the cabinets are also crappy in the kitchen (which I'm guessing they are if you're starting out of laminate). We have the same issue in our house and if we just replaced the countertops without addressing the horrific cabinets (they look like they belong in a pirate ship galley), it would just be an epic waste of time and money.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:38 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
The term "movement" as applied to granite in this thread is a new one for me. I'm not entirely sure what it's supposed to mean in that context.
It's stone that has swirls and swishes and what not in it, rather than just flecks of mica here and there.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:49 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,474,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
I think it really just depends on the house, the neighborhood, and how much you're looking to spend. I don't really like granite but it's in the right price point for our house and neighborhood. I love the look of custom concrete countertops but we would never make our money back in resale. I've seen some houses where they'll do a mix of granite and butcher block which also looks really nice.

But no matter what you do, don't bother replacing the countertops if the cabinets are also crappy in the kitchen (which I'm guessing they are if you're starting out of laminate). We have the same issue in our house and if we just replaced the countertops without addressing the horrific cabinets (they look like they belong in a pirate ship galley), it would just be an epic waste of time and money.
The cabinets are older, but still in very good condition and have been recently painted. They are solid wood, painted white. We're planning on just changing out the drawer pulls and it will look very cute and cottage-y, which fits the house very well.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:11 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Speaking of a trend that will go out of style, concrete counters are definitely a fad. I think people overlook them because they sound so industrial and more suitable for a city loft. They are not something I would suggest for a traditional or transitional suburban house.
You must have not seen them more than a couple of times. While I have seen them in lofts, I have seen them in suburban homes and they look amazing. Concrete is versatile so you can make it look how you want. I sold a house earlier this year in the suburbs with them, and the buyers could not stop talking about it. The counters truly sold that house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary