Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 04:08 PM

143 posts, read 385,434 times

Advertisements

Crate & Barrel at Southpoint Mall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 04:26 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,953,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
I've been really happy with how well my La-Z-Boy sofas have held up (non reclining) considering I've had them for 8+ years now. Well, maybe not 100% happy - if they wore out I'd have an excuse to get new ones. :-)

Costco does have nice furniture - unfortunately my living room is on the small side so my options will be limited when I do shop for replacements. I also like the Home Comfort furniture store.
Another vote for La-Z-Boy. We've gone through several couches, but the ones from LZB seem to last forever. You'll be tired of it long before you need to replace it.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:28 PM

838 posts, read 2,524,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALUKI_LOVER View Post
we love Haverty's . . bought several pieces and absolutely satisfied...ask for Frances!
Really? We were there yesterday and it didn't appear to us that the quality was very good.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:10 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Costco, Cooper (in Cary) or Home Comfort.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:07 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCarolinaGuy View Post
What's the hate for Rooms To Go? Is it te service or the actual quality?
Both. We did fine with a floor sample leather set that we brought home ourselves. It was very good quality.

But we were not so lucky with a microfiber set. First it was fighting with them at the store to tell them we didn't need the stain-repellent spray they put on the couches before delivery, and they could just remove the $75 or whatever fee from the invoice. They (the salesperson and the manager at the time) were livid. It was a huge argument.

Then when they delivered it, it seemed as if they were getting back at us. One of the couches had a rip in the back when it was delivered. We didn't accept it. Then, the second time, the wooden feet were horribly scratched up. I'm not sure how new feet could be so scratched up. Eventually they sent someone out with new ones.

It didn't take long for the cushions to get flattened out and ugly. And a spring to go BOING. We gave away the set. I didn't feel right charging anyone for it.

Later online (not here, other sites), I saw that reports about poor service and low quality were not that unusual for Rooms To Go.

Here is some interesting advice about buying furniture and about stain repellents. We didn't want to spend the extra money at the time -- and I'm glad we didn't...

http://www.marthastewart.com/273157/...pholstery-tips

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 11-08-2012 at 09:22 AM..

Old 11-08-2012, 11:37 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Buy good quality American made.
Cheap American made is no better than Chinese crap.

Support American workers, I assume you are one.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:57 PM

149 posts, read 206,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian65 View Post
Bassett on Glenwood is still there, just purchased furniture for a room today. The staff was extremely helpful and very knowledgeable. We were told everything they sell is made here in NC and they only sell Bassett brand. We will definitely be going back for more.
I was also told at Bassett that most of their furniture is made in the US, of US components. That was the selling point for me ... oh, and the great sale price didn't hurt, either!

Now, could one or two parts be sourced from another country? Yes ... if you read the web page below. At least the furniture is assembled here in NC, and almost all of the wood is sourced in the US. The material on my particular sofa was sourced in the US as well. (County of origin re material MAY vary from line to line, I've read, though most are reportedly sourced in the US.) The thought of at least providing some money to American workers is important to me. I do as much as I can to buy US goods, particularly well-made products.

BTW, I still really, really like my couches, over a year later, and would buy from Bassett again. Probably one of the few places where I WOULD buy medium-priced, quality furniture. (The Rooms to Go furniture looked really cheap to me, even prettied up on the showroom floor, and while High Point has some wonderful furniture, it's waaaaaay out of my budget.)

(On another note ... years ago, my mother-in-law bought us a Bassett crib, and it withstood, and withstood very well, two very frisky kids who apparently thought they were termites. My kids were NOT gentle with this thing at all.)

The saleswoman was wonderful and the delivery was on-time, with courteous personnel.

Here is a little more about where Bassett's materials come from:

http://www.vaughan-bassett.com/index...ut_us.show.cfm

Haverty's does have some American furniture as well.

Last edited by gazania; 11-09-2012 at 02:25 PM..

Old 11-09-2012, 02:10 PM

455 posts, read 918,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdolls4me View Post
We bought at Home Comfort 7 years ago, a sofa and loveseat, and although I really like them they are beginning to show wear and the cushions aren't so cushiony any more (no fat jokes please . Our best sofa ever came from Bassett on Glenwood Avenue, very pricy but has lasted longer & is more comfortable than any other. I don't believe they are there anymore though. We'll be shopping soon too...like Mike I'm picking up that same vibe at my house.
We bought a couch, oversized chair (not quite a love seat) and ottoman at Home Comefort back in early 2010 and I can't stand them. The cushions lasted about 4 months before squishing down (we're both under 200lbs, so no fat jokes here either!). They came out once to replace them, but didn't make a difference. The Ottomon has totally collapsed as well.

The chair I like, however we paid for the extra "stainguard" stuff, but water stains the damn things..

Old 11-19-2012, 06:38 AM

34 posts, read 72,866 times
We were in the market for a new sofa and went to a few places this weekend before buying one from LazyBoy.

My feedback is this, you get what you pay for. We actually started at Home Comfort and then realized you are buying Ashley furniture. After looking at many of the floor models we noticed that many of the sofa's had stitching that was alreadying stretching - a bad sign... Yes they look good and are comfortable but we didn't want to have to get a new sofa after 2 years when all the cushions were falling apart...

We then went to Bedroom and Sofa Emporium in Cary... I guess I missed something, for an Emporium I was actually looking to see a sofa... Don't expect to find ANYTHING there... not only do they not have any selection, the prices were UNHEARD of...

The last place we went to was La-Z-Boy in Raleigh and it was fantastic... Yes some of the sofa's were very expensive but we found one that was a few hundred dollars more than Home Comfort but you get the La-Z-Boy warranty. Between delivery being cheaper and the After Thanksgiving Sale that they have right now it was a no brainer...

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary