U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-09-2012, 06:16 PM

55 posts, read 105,597 times
Default Good Binoculars for Honeymoon in Costa Rica (Raleigh/Durham stores)

My wife and I are leaving in less than a week to Costa Rica for our Honeymoon! With all of the wedding spending, we don't have much to put out there for binoculars. However, we'd like to get something under $50 that can be adequate to check out the volcanoes, plants, animals, etc. Any suggestions?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 06:40 PM

5,827 posts, read 5,967,465 times
I don't have any suggestions for binoculars, but I just wanted to say that my husband and I went to Costa Rica for our honeymoon 13 years ago. It is an amazing country! Have a great time - I'm sure it's changed quite a bit since I went in 1999, but it is beautiful. I especially liked Arenal Volcano.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:29 PM

3,436 posts, read 6,217,482 times
Check Costco if you are a member.. I don't know if they carry binoculars, but if they do I'm sure they are good quality and not too expensive. I bought my waterproof binoculars off of Amazon - I just went by reviews and how much I wanted to spend.

And wow, Costa Rica.. Have an amazing trip! :-)

edit: just thought to check Craigslist, quite a few binoculars for sale there, so that might be a good option!

Old 11-09-2012, 09:08 PM
rfb

1,303 posts, read 3,188,532 times
You may want to check out a pair the Bushnell NatureView 8x40 binoculars. These seem similar to the ones I bought a number of years ago, though I can't be certain they are the same ones anymore. The ones I have are a good buy for the price. Yes, you can get better, but you will pay for the higher quality .

Old 11-10-2012, 12:10 AM

10 posts, read 14,802 times
Dick's Sporting Goods has a great selection of Binoculars! They even have some that allow you to take photos.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:55 AM

4,883 posts, read 10,158,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I don't have any suggestions for binoculars, but I just wanted to say that my husband and I went to Costa Rica for our honeymoon 13 years ago. It is an amazing country! Have a great time - I'm sure it's changed quite a bit since I went in 1999, but it is beautiful. I especially liked Arenal Volcano.
Ditto. My wife and I went to Costa Rica back in 1996 when we first started dating. I imagine that it is very touristy now, but back then it was just getting started in eco-tourism.

My wife planned the whole trip and she did a great job. It was my first foray out of the country (other than Canada as a kid, and an all-inclusive resort in Mexico once) and quite the eye-opener. We stayed for 10 days, I believe, and traveled the country by public transportation, sharing busses that were also taking people to work, children to school, and people to markets (sometimes carrying food and livestock)

My only advice is to pack light! Set out whatever clothes you think you'll need, and then only take half of it. It's easier to find the time to do laundry once than to lug around 2x the amount of clothing that you need. Find a small pair of binoculars that can easily be put in a side pocket of a daypack.

Our honeymoon in 1997? 4 weeks in New Zealand. This time travelling by car, but staying in youth-hostels to keep the cost down. Ahhh the good ol days. . . . before kids

Old 11-10-2012, 09:20 AM

667 posts, read 1,695,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixrising3131 View Post
My wife and I are leaving in less than a week to Costa Rica for our Honeymoon! With all of the wedding spending, we don't have much to put out there for binoculars. However, we'd like to get something under $50 that can be adequate to check out the volcanoes, plants, animals, etc. Any suggestions?
You're going on honeymoon and you think you will find time to use binoculars...???

Old 11-10-2012, 09:29 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,312,055 times
Don't drop big money on binoculars for one vacation. Go to the flea market at the state fairgrounds and buy some $30 binoculars. They will work perfectly well, and if you lose or break them, you won't cry about it. I own several pairs of binoculars, and the one I bought at the flea market for $25 are as good as many costing 8x as much. I even had a friend who is used to the REALLY high end stuff comment on how well they performed, especially at that price point. I got them from the guy who sells swords, near the corner just across from Dorton Arena. He's there every weekend in the same spot.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:40 PM

3,509 posts, read 5,835,416 times
As a side note, try to check out the volcano Irazu. You can drive right to the summit and on a clear day see both the Atlantic and Pacific from the summit.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:25 PM

823 posts, read 1,138,409 times
The difference between good binoculars and cheap ones like Bushnell are similar to the differences between a Mercedes and a Yugo. If you just want to look at stuff at a distance then don't bother with good ones. But, if you are looking for clarity, light gathering capabilities and quality then try something like Swarovski or Leupold. I think you can get both at Gander Mountain in Cary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary