Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 09:04 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,208,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Christmas parade before Thanksgiving??? Bah, humbug!
Haha! I talked to my oldest daughter today (lives in FL) and she was putting up her tree today!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 03:52 AM

279 posts, read 702,562 times
We went last year and got there around 8:30 or so and got a spot just in front of News 8. It was right next to Chick Fila, so we also were able to get something to eat. The crowds were "manageable". We are going back this year.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:46 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,154,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyesnow View Post
Haha! I talked to my oldest daughter today (lives in FL) and she was putting up her tree today!

Old 11-12-2012, 03:53 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,094,205 times
I think the Christmas parade has gotten better over the years. Maybe the St. Patrick's Day parade, too. The memories blend together. The last few times we went, it was fun.

But I remember years ago, the parades consisted of trailers decorated exactly the same way, "sponsored" by a particular merchant. Very dull. Add cold weather to that, and it equaled misery.

But the parades have evolved, and I think they're worth the trip for the kids.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:20 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,027,675 times
Yeah, the Raleigh parade doesn't feel anything like the small town parades I grew up with! I've been pretty impressed with it!

Old 11-12-2012, 05:08 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
I think the Parade has gotten a lot better in the past year or so .... I say that because the band I play in was in it last year and will be in it again this year!

Keep an eye. Out for the "Bulltown Strutters" - we are small, but kind of hard to miss!!

Old 11-12-2012, 05:40 PM

770 posts, read 2,753,866 times
Quote:
So, everyone on this forum did a wonderful job giving me tips for the fair and we had a great time at out first NC fair. Now I see the Xmas parade is next weekend-already! Can anyone tell me good places to park, sit, etc. I really need specifics since we dont live IN Raleigh and have not learned that area at all yet.
How long before the parade do we have to show up, are there restrooms or outhouses for the kids? Where we come from, people would stake out their spots the night before and set up chairs and rope sections off so they could "reserve" the best spots. I found this irritating. Do people do this here?
To me, one of the best places if you have kids + a SUV is the car park at the top of Fayetteville St, People get on one of the higher floors and reverse in and open the hatch. The kids and adults sit there and have a primo view for a couple of $$. Some bring food and beverages - great time!

Old 11-12-2012, 05:50 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,208,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I think the Parade has gotten a lot better in the past year or so .... I say that because the band I play in was in it last year and will be in it again this year!

Keep an eye. Out for the "Bulltown Strutters" - we are small, but kind of hard to miss!!
haha-we'll be watching!

Old 11-12-2012, 06:17 PM

247 posts, read 452,301 times
Quote:
Thanks-I wish I knew where to find all this info out!
This is a great start! Much better than how I learned, which was driving through one of archer lodge's parades. it was nice having people wave to me as I drove by.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:25 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,094,205 times
Everyone -- take lots of pics! Panoramics, long shots, medium shots, closeups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary